What if we can make a Mega Man mod for Cave Story?

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Seems good, i will try it tommorow beceause I am too lazy to play it now :critter:

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Quote hell master said:
Seems good, i will try it tommorow beceause I am too lazy to play it now :critter:
It will never get any better then this.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
BLARGHBARFARGHISTHISGOINGTOHURTMYEYESISN'TIT
This is a nice idea for a mod.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

but it needs moar sanic hegehog

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm very impressed! I hope it comes out soon.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM
What do you mean by coming out?
I have the download on the first post.
Or do you mean finishing it?

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
metalsonic71 said:
What do you mean by coming out?
I have the download on the first post.
Or do you mean finishing it?
I meant when it's gonna be finished.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Sep 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
If anybody is interested, I've been working on my own demo that still uses ms71's game (minus the switched graphics). I've talked about it on my blog (linked in my sig), and I've been making some good Progress. I still need one thing in particular figured out, and that's what I'm going to do about the bosses. If I don't get an answer or a good suggestion, I'm just sticking with the Cave Story bosses. Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd like to know how I could implement disappearing blocks with TSC.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Tp, you don't really need to change the bosses, let's just stick with cave story bosses.
And I must thank you for doing this while my infected pc is keeping me from doing anything other then going back from scratch.

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Tpcool said:
I'd like to know how I could implement disappearing blocks with TSC.
Based on your vague description, it sounds like you could just trigger a script that uses <CNP commands to change the blocks you want into blank ones. If you don't want any smoke effects, then use the <SMP command, and have the block that you want for the platform be to the right of a blank block on the tileset, and you can make them seamlessly vanish. Have I misinterpreted you question, or does that answer it?

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
Based on your vague description, it sounds like you could just trigger a script that uses <CNP commands to change the blocks you want into blank ones. If you don't want any smoke effects, then use the <SMP command, and have the block that you want for the platform be to the right of a blank block on the tileset, and you can make them seamlessly vanish. Have I misinterpreted you question, or does that answer it?

That's what I've been trying to do. Unfortunately, if I try to run it over and over again through the <EVE command, I can't get it to cancel out the event. For a little more in-depth information on how I was doing it, check here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I know of one way to get something like that working, using H/V triggers to fake a timed event while being able to cancel it at anytime.

It's a greater amount of work and probably not that efficient, but I've used it for my mod and it probably could work for what you want.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
EnlightenedOne said:
It's a greater amount of work and probably not that efficient, but I've used it for my mod and it probably could work for what you want.
Hey, anything is better than what I have right now. Post it, and I'll see what I can do with it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hey uh COOL I'd like to mention that zarrot has done literally exactly what you're looking for here, try asking him directly. I watched a live stream of the blocks in action and they worked quite well, too.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Well... I actually just came up with a better way than my somewhat-not-efficient H/V loop.

Dropbox Download (Chrome might flag it because it's never been downloaded before).

Mediafire Download

I didn't explain it in the file, but in basic terms if you have a "Curly, Carriable, Unconscious" entity (or any entity that attaches to you, like a puppyhat), with npc flags to set it to "Run event on contact", it will run its event(s) on (maybe?) every tick. I added a string of 20 Skipflags to get it up to 20 ticks, then added another to make it run the 20 ticks twice, resulting in a full 40 ticks (or approximately 2 full seconds).

So the blocks will CMP in a basic alternate pattern every 2 seconds, and hitting the H/V trigger at the bottom of the map will override the loop. It's also possible to simply DNP the curly entity with a H/V trigger to stop the block rotation.

Not sure how Zarrot did it, probably better than me. :o
But if you use the exact method I did, and just edited the Pbm/Bmp to erase the Curly-unconscious sprite, It's probably what you need.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
EnlightenedOne said:
Not sure how Zarrot did it, probably better than me. :o
But if you use the exact method I did, and just edited the Pbm/Bmp to erase the Curly-unconscious sprite, It's probably what you need.
So, I finally wrapped my head around the code, and I got it working at a slower speed (the way you had it was too fast, imo). The problem is, when I tested it out with spikes, there was no invincibility time. If you don't know of a solution to that, I'm afraid my last option is to ask ZarroTsu.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Tpcool said:
So, I finally wrapped my head around the code, and I got it working at a slower speed (the way you had it was too fast, imo). The problem is, when I tested it out with spikes, there was no invincibility time. If you don't know of a solution to that, I'm afraid my last option is to ask ZarroTsu.
Yes, deactivating the mercy invincibility while the entity is touching you is a big drawback to this system... But I think I know how to at least reactivate it for spikes (you are wanting them lining the bottom, correct?).

Try adding a horizontal trigger in between the spikes and the CMP platforms, and make the trigger set Curly to a null entity at an unreachable coordinates. This will reactive the invincibility before they reach the spikes.

Then you should add one or more triggers to set the null entity back to curly unconscious if they make it back up to the platforms that CMP.

However, there is a problem that I'm afraid can only be solved by ZarroTsu's method, you can't have enemies attacking you while the entity is attached, all that requires is to set it to null when you leave the area that the player is doing the platforms, and only have curly when the player is in that room.

I probably wrote that very confusingly... If you want me to make a larger demonstration (and this time with explanations in the script) just ask me.