Cave Story 2

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Download the Windows version: Cave Story 2
Download the Mac version: Cave Story 2 (Mac)
Download the PSP version here: Cave Story 2 (PSP)
Download the Cave Story+ port here: Cave Story 2 (use Plus Porter to install it)

So, I now have another Cave Story mod to showcase! This one is Cave Story 2. It is a direct sequel to the third ending. And I gotta say, I think that this is truly the greatest mod ever. I put so freaking much more work into this mod than Pixel did into Cave Story that it's not even funny. I know that before you play it you'll think I'm exaggerating, but once you play it, you'll agree that I'm being modest when I say that this mod is even better than the original Cave Story. To prove it, Noxid, who doesn't usually play Cave Story mods because he believes they generally suck, told me that this was truly the greatest mod ever, and said that he would give a full review on it once I had put up a development thread for it. I'm eager to see your feedback on this thread that you've promised me, Nox! ;) But this mod is actually complete. That's right, no cliffhangers. As you might have guessed, a mod so awesome as this one used a LOT of assembly hacks, new enemies, new bosses, oh man you're going to absolutely love it. Andwhyisit has generously ported this mod. He has recently gained the ability to port mods with major assembly hacks. He decided that he'd do mine first. I was talking with him and GIR in a three-way Personal conversation, and Andwhy said that ports for WTF Story, while nowhere near as good a mod as this one, are just around the corner. So now you'll have something to look forward to after you're blown back in amazment at the best of the four alternate endings of this mod that you will stay up all night playing. Well, any feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Did you have to post this on April Fools? Why not wait a day? You should've known that a lot of people will think this is a joke if you posted it today. Including me. It all sounds a bit too good to me. I'll be backing off this until I know it isn't an April Fools prank.

Oh, come on. Don't look at me like that.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
THIS

IS

AMAZING

:p

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
10/10

Best mod ever.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
...I am downloading PSP version right now... You sneaky bugger. Hiding this mod behind your back. I'll report back as soon as I've played it enough. @_@

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM
"Huzzah!"
I reserve the right to double post. First the download link gave me PC version instead. So I tried again.

It's difficult to describe the power of this mod, created in only a few short months.

Firstly, the menu text is obscured.
Secondly, the MSG functions are clearly overused.
Thirdly, the player's choices have about as much effect on ending as Mass Effect 3.
Fourthly, the mod drags on a bit. Maybe if you'd cut the intro sequence down to, say, two or three seconds?

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Excellent mod, Hayden.
I especially liked the ORG rendition of Never Gonna Give You Up, that must have taken a long time to make.
The new graphics were excellent, and I assume you must have spent a lot of time on the cutscenes.
All in all, 10/10.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Based Member
THIS

IS

AMAZING

:p
Thank you!
10/10

Best mod ever.
Thank you!
Excellent mod, Hayden.
Thank you!
I especially liked the ORG rendition of Never Gonna Give You Up, that must have taken a long time to make.
I'm gonna have to credit Murgee for that. the only thing I did to that was make it loop. If you look in the credit text file, he is given credit for some of the additional music.
The new graphics were excellent, and I assume you must have spent a lot of time on the cutscenes.
All in all, 10/10.
Thank you for recognizing that!

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I knew it was a joke when you said Noxid said it was the best mod evar and that he didn't beat you for saying you were superior to Pixel.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Sorry for....uh... bugging you.
I'm having blocking problems with Mediafire in my country.
Could you upload it into Tempfiles or Rapidshare?

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hey, tell people to use speedproxy.uk That often fixes blocks like that.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM
LSD
"..."
Did you have to post this on April Fools? Why not wait a day? You should've known that a lot of people will think this is a joke if you posted it today. Including me. It all sounds a bit too good to me. I'll be backing off this until I know it isn't an April Fools prank.

Oh, come on. Don't look at me like that.

Frick
I thought it was legit for a second
Then I actually thought about it
Great Job Hayden

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Based Member
Are you saying that you seriously think that this is an April Fools Prank? It isn't. I already did an April Fools joke for this year. And of course everybody knows that it's flat out stupid to do two different April Fools jokes in one year. And I'm not stupid. Did you even try the mod? Anyway, I wonder when Noxid is going to post that review here that he's been promising...

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:01 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Anyway, I wonder when Noxid is going to post that review here that he's been promising...
1/10 april fools is over retard

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

it is in my time zone don't you give me that sass

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:31 AM
Based Member
Alright guys, there's no point in trying to milk this further, and most of you knew so...
AprilFools.jpg

So yeah, that whole mod was an April Fools joke, as well as the ability to port mods with major assembly hacks. And the only person I told about this mod prior to announcing it was Andwhy so that he could port it. So, I hope that I at least gave a few people the giggles. Oh, by the way Nox, there's still twenty-nine minutes left of April Fools day my time so... I "revealed," the fakeness of this early.

EDIT: Ok. NOW, April Fools day is over my time as well.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Mh... so it looks like Curly Brace has tearducts. Interesting.

Very well written dialogue for just a quick joke, Hayden... I dare say that could easily be used as the start for a real sequel :mrgreen:

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Based Member
Mh... so it looks like Curly Brace has tearducts. Interesting.
Yup.
Very well written dialogue for just a quick joke, Hayden...
Thank you!
I dare say that could easily be used as the start for a real sequel :mrgreen:
Hehe, thanks. I actually had a vision of this being the beginning of a legitimate Cave Story sequel mod. But I just couldn't think of good enough ideas past that point. So, not wanting this scene in my mind to go to waste, I made this. Hehe.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:15 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
At first I was a little perplexed at Curly's... enthusiasm. But once it was clear that Quote had forgotten more than just crash landing with Balrog (as I had thought the cause of the amnesia to be) that made perfect sense. A whole new adventure offers ample opportunity for them to grow significantly closer.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Based Member
Yeah, my thought was that destroying the final boss caused some explosion that nearly killed Quote, and that even though he lived, it made him lose his memory again. LOL, crash landing with Balrog?