Jenka's Nightmare Revived - Final release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm starting to get doubts about working on this anymore. Do you guys think I should just fix all the glitches, give shmitz the credit he deserves and then just leave JN alone instead of making JNBr?
this[/10chars]

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Based Member
Depending on how highly JNB plans to deviate from JN, I would recommend scrapping JNB and carrying all of the changes you plan to make on JNB over to JNR, provided that they improve the mod as a whole. I'm all for your continuing JN, just not in the wrong manner. It's really redundant in my opinion to have JN, JNR, and JNB. So here's what I think you should do in no particular order. Make another/some more release(s) of JNR which:

- Give Shmitz the credit he deserves
- Fix all of these glitches
- Give the best ending a better climax
- Possibly take some elements you planned to have in JNB, and implement them into a future release of JNR provided that you believe that it improves the mod

And maybe give any subsequent releases a lengthy debugging period before declaring the mod completed.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Professional Whatever
The thing is, I'm sick of JN myself. I don't think I'll do all of the things I planned to do for JNBr, but I'll do what I mentioned in my last post and then fix the best ending. I have an idea for it anyway.
I don't know when I'll get around to it though.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Based Member
Well, in the meantime, I'd learn some assembly hacking if I were you. Cause I think that an assembly boss is the only way to go for the final boss. And I think it would be best to just have Genesis be the final boss. Bringing Ultima into the story was unecessary in my opinion. I think you should give both Genesis and Oblivion different appearances. Now I'm not saying to do all of this immediately, I'm just saying that this is how I picture a proper continuation of Jenka's Nightmare.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Well... unless plans are made for major (seriously major) improvements of the "post-Shmitz" parts, then I'll have to second the others here.
I don't mind the flaws/glitches much, apart from the awfully long boss fights, the middle finger waving Doctor and the game breaking Nemesis X theft... but those should definitely get a quick fix, and Shmitz ought to be given his due. That and the Red Tower's "trial and error death traps maze" is pretty much the formula of anti-fun.

If the mod was to be... "continued from scratch", I would reccommend a drastic rethinking of the story's development (we have already discussed this via PM, if you recall, but I don't think you were very fond of my ideas either, considering it "overthinking the matter" if I'm not mistaken).
Certainly not having Curly mandatorily dying would be for the best, especially after all the trouble we went through to save her in the first game.

...aaaaand I read now (in posts made after typing the above) that you're pretty sick of working on JN, so yeah, I guess the bareminimum fix it is then.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Based Member
Oh, also. How's that guide coming? I don't know a ton of the secrets to this mod, so I wouldn't be able to contribute much.
Another thing. I looked at the face pbm to find a surprised face for the Doctor (Oblivion). And some code in the Red tower that executes when he says something to the effect of, "What?! You'd have to be a demon to be over there! Well, possessed Curly should finish you off." Or something like that. I saw you type somewhere that there are four endings to this mod. I've only gotten three of them:
- You get killed by Genesis
- It looks like you've defeated Oblivion, but you get killed by Genesis
- You fight Ultima
Which one did I miss?

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM
Professional Whatever
I am planning to change the ending drastically, but not really the story too much. I can PM my idea for the ending to anyone who wants to know/help me out.

Oh, also. How's that guide coming? I don't know a ton of the secrets to this mod, so I wouldn't be able to contribute much.
I scrapped it, because no one helped at all and I just didn't have time to play through the entire thing. I don't have a copy of it anywhere now.
Another thing. I looked at the face pbm to find a surprised face for the Doctor (Oblivion). And some code in the Red tower that executes when he says something to the effect of, "What?! You'd have to be a demon to be over there! Well, possessed Curly should finish you off." Or something like that.
Ah yes, I remember.
"What? But...But...You're over there!" (Focus on possessed curly) "you'd have to be a demon to be in both places at once! No matter, possessed curly will finish you off."
That text shows up while you're wearing the mimiga mask, which is actually technically the curly mask.
I saw you type somewhere that there are four endings to this mod. I've only gotten three of them:
- You get killed by Genesis
- It looks like you've defeated Oblivion, but you get killed by Genesis
- You fight Ultima
Which one did I miss?
Erm...I can't remember. The way to trigger each ending is:
1. No G: Spirit, no Sky Blade
2. No G: Spirit, yes Sky Blade
3. Yes G: Spirit, no Sky Blade
4. Yes G: Spirit, yes Sky Blade

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Based Member
Ah, ok. Is it possible to get the Curly mask without hacking the game? Also, maybe you could PM me your plans, I might be willing to contribute some ideas.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Professional Whatever
It is possible, but you probably won't find it without
the map system. It's in a very random (but small) room.
And I'll pm you in a sec.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:05 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Mh, maybe we could have invited Hayden to that convo we had. That way, he'd be able to see what we already discussed.

So, no chance of saving Curly in any of the endings?

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:08 AM
Professional Whatever
Maaaaaaaaaybe. I haven't decided yet.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I've found the Curly Mask, actually. You'll need the map system to find it though.

It's in Misery's Abode. It's quite well hidden considering the size of the invisible maze there and the false routes to take.

On the matter of continuing the mod, I'd say yes. This mod is good, way too good to be left like this. If you can't manage by yourself you can ask other people to help you since many people seem to be eager to help. I was under the impression that Brotherhood was a continuation or a complete remake of JNR but if it will mostly be improvements you should just put them in JNR. This thread is over a year old and has over 1000 posts. That alone is enough of an indication that your project of dusting off Shmitz' masterpiece is worth the effort.

As for the assembly, it really isn't that hard to learn. Reading the code of Cave Story and figuring out what everything does is harder, even with the great Assembly Compendium to help you. But even with Assembly the advice is always: Look how Pixel did it.

Another thing about the walkthrough: if you want to rewrite it I'll gladly help you with it. I've finished the mod twice and although the walkthrough covers everything important such as the secrets and most of the game, but it lacks in a lot of details that people who need to read a walkthrough will need. A nice and complete walkthrough will add to the completeness of the mod, especially so since the mod is quite hard and complex.

So, to summarize this all, I think you should continue this mod because it is simply too good to abandon!

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Professional Whatever
Hey, thanks, I appreciate it. Maybe we can share emails or something for the guide.
Also I do know assembly, at least a little bit. It would be way too difficult for me to make or even change a boss, so that's probably not going to happen. I already have a plan for the ending anyway.

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Based Member
I've opened up the map system in Misery's abode, and I can see the maze, but I can't find the entrance to the tunnel. Is there some block I have to break? I tried shooting at all of them.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Professional Whatever
Hug the right wall. There should be a passage you can jump through.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Based Member
I don't know what is is I'm missing, but I can't seem to get through any wall to the right. This is in version 1.7. Was anything changed there in 2.1? And I can't download 2.1 cause 4shared wants me to create an account to download from there.

EDIT: 175th post! I now have the Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude!

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Professional Whatever
Gimme a sec, I'll fix it for you.

EDIT: Actually I see the problem. You have to do it before the red tower or it won't work.

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Based Member
Oh, well that would explain it. Is that on purpose, or is that a glitch?

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Professional Whatever
On purpose. Even if you found it before the red tower you wouldn't have it afterwards anyways.

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'm really enjoying this mod. The story is very interesting to me, and the levels are challenging. (In a good way.)

You did a fine job reviving this mod. :orangebell:

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

Oh dat labyrinth hates me

Attachments

• critter.gif
    critter.gif
    204 bytes · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.