Hacks 4 Gold

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Sep 14, 2016 at 4:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm hard up for cash and want to buy a new graphics card.
Want some hot ASM for your mod, but don't know a bit from a byte? I can probably hack it.

Prices:
- $10 for a small hack
- $20 for a medium hack

I won't do anything I consider "large" or "impossible".

Details: You supply me with a set of requirements and I will tell you whether it's a small, medium, or too-large job. Then you can accept or refuse. Once payment is received (via paypal ) I'll create the hack in Doukutsu Assembler V1.31 format and deliver it to you.

no money? that's too bad. You could always do it yourself........

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:52 AM
Part-Time Perfectionist
CS Beta Content Discord Admin
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Dude, your timing's off; it's not April.

Jokes aside, I think this is a good idea.
You might wanna give some definitions of what you consider "too big," or some general ideas of things that qualify a hack to be "medium" rather than small. Like, are you judging based on how many lines of assembly, the complexity of the final product, or the amount time it would take to make?
Also what currency is this in? CAD, USD, AUD, NZD?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2016 at 12:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I'm judging on how long it would take me to finish which is largely a function of complexity and how clear the specification is. It's an "I'll know when I see it" kind of thing which is why people have the right to refuse my assessment but some examples might be adding a new type of tile that launches you in the air for small, or a multi-state custom npc with projectiles could be medium.
Really it's probably safe to say I know better than most people how much work it will be so just give me the spec and I'll figure it out.

Currency is Canadian dollars- deep discounts for people from stronger currencies!

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:02 PM
Professional Whatever
noxxid can you hack my woodcutting to level 99 pls

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:08 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
yeah but u need to give me your pass so I can add the levels to your account

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:00 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
fuckin hackers i swear
hey nixod can you hack me so my coins dupe ok thanks

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:01 PM
The God of Development Heaven
Modding Community Discord Admin
"Deaths: 4000"
I might be interested, as I'm too lazy to learn ASM when really I only plan to make one more small mod before moving on to NON-CS projects.

I'll get back to you once I figure out what I'm going for.

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:58 AM
Okay I give up... for now
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
What would be the time demands/charges for a "TSC library" that dealt with manipulating the playback of music? For example, imagine these TSC commands:

• <SMUxxxx:yyyy: Set MUsic. Makes the current song playing jump to measure x and beat y.
  • <RRMxxxx:yyyy: Repeat Range of Music. Change the repeat range of the current song playing from measure x to measure y, for the duration of time that that song is loaded into memory.
  • <TMUxxxx: Tempo of MUsic. Sets the tempo of the current song playing to x.
  • <MUJxxxx:yyyy:zzzz. MUsic Jump. Jump to event z if the current song playing is at or beyond measure x beat y. Goes to the next command if this condition is not true.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:05 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
Nobody has ever bothered to document that stuff, iirc. I know it was talked about before by Wedge of Cheese many moons ago but no ground was actually broken

If you really want it I would suggest sifting through RAM using cheat engine or the like and hoping that the tempo/range/ect is all stored in a constant location and work from there.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
What would be the time demands/charges for a "TSC library" that dealt with manipulating the playback of music? For example, imagine these TSC commands:

• <SMUxxxx:yyyy: Set MUsic. Makes the current song playing jump to measure x and beat y.
  • <RRMxxxx:yyyy: Repeat Range of Music. Change the repeat range of the current song playing from measure x to measure y, for the duration of time that that song is loaded into memory.
  • <TMUxxxx: Tempo of MUsic. Sets the tempo of the current song playing to x.
  • <MUJxxxx:yyyy:zzzz. MUsic Jump. Jump to event z if the current song playing is at or beyond measure x beat y. Goes to the next command if this condition is not true.
Doesn't look technically challenging, although like Blink said I'd have to do a bit of digging to find out exactly *what* those values are. soo... $12? it's like a bit more than what i'd consider small but not really a medium task.

with TSC commands though I suppose you should also tell me how you want them written, either to hook onto the vanilla parser, as components of TSC+, other(???)

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:05 PM
Okay I give up... for now
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Yeah, I remember WoC uncovering a bit of info that could have led to stuff like this, but it seems like it would still need some more digging. I was mostly asking about this just for fun since I don't have any mods planned, but if I were serious about this, I would probably want it to be part of TSC+ since that's more efficient.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:23 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You want it, it's yours my friend, as long as you have enough loonies

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:41 AM
Been here way too long...
How much would it cost to make Cave Story good?

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM
Professional Whatever
those are some hefty opinions zxin

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM
Part-Time Perfectionist
CS Beta Content Discord Admin
Sep 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM
Brayconn Online
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
cough fourth ending cough

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:47 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Just curious, what might it cost to add multiple different borders for text boxes? (For example, some tsc command <MS4 or something that calls forth it's own border separate from <MSG and <MS3.)