CS ~ Encore

May 3, 2021 at 6:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It's basically an upscale with extra features.

I began this project on April 2nd after stumbling upon my old, cringy CS Amino Page from 2017.

Even then, I always had this vision of bringing Cave Story to life the way I saw it when I first played on WiiWare in 2011.
I want additions such as an alt path leading to a new ending I have a bit planned out, along with some weapons that would accommodate the new locations and enemies.
Of course, this comes after the base game is completed.

Here's everything I have so far.
cse.png
cs weapons.JPG
Sprite-0001 (2).gif
I'm thinking of going for something like Contra 4, I'm not sure yet. I just know I want the environment to look a little more varied. Not so much like CS3D though.
Speaking of that, adding in those exclusive areas from CS3D would be pretty awesome. I also think the absurd Life Capsules in that game would work well in an easy mode.

I currently have a volunteered musician who goes by Kase who's making a pretty sick soundtrack for the mod. You can really feel their style through it.
Hopefully, they'll release the OST on their YT Channel once it's all completed. They have already gotten a massive chunk of the tracklist done.

AsperDev will also be lending a hand in pixel art which is always cool. His pixel art is honestly amazing so I'm glad he's alongside me.

There are a few challenges at the moment.

The tilesets and everything can be easily implemented. Despite the amount of variety I'm gonna put into the tileset, the collision is gonna be unchanged.
But I'm not sure how a 2xres hack would work with Cave Editor or BL.
And as for adding new weapons and a new boss, that just sounds completely out of my league.
There are also size differences between my sprites and traditional CS+ graphics, not so much to warrant a hitbox change.
I think I can get into script editing given some time. I tried it out when I was 14 and it wasn't too hard to understand. But I'm still not the greatest.

I can't do those things on my own. I need someone who's experienced with this and is willing to help me out.

This is a pretty ambitious project. But it's a project I actually enjoy making.
Usually, I'd have to force myself to get through with something like this. CS is just cool like that. The game has always meant a lot to me.

I'll begin posting updates here. I'm not sure if I should edit this top post or just create entirely new ones along the thread.

Attachments

May 3, 2021 at 7:03 PM
Everything you hate about humanity
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Top ten things I wasn't expecting to see on the CSTSF today
#1 - A new upscale

While some of the prominent character designs are a bit off-model, I have to commend the sheer amount of effort and time that went into this,
I'll keep an eye on this to see how it evolves over time.
Also please be careful and make sure you're basing the upscaled sprites on the original game's graphics and the NICALiS assets.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 8:55 PM
Best Cow
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Huh, this is an interesting development. I would like to say you'll have no problem at all working on it as a vanilla mod through Booster's Lab, since it's always been compatible with 2x res mods. I... don't know how the new weapons and new boss could pan out however, especially after CSE2's removal. I mean, never say never, there are alternatives (NICE or Mod Loader), but that will still require a knowledge in ASM to work with. :toroko2: If any ASM wizard here is still looking for something to do, I'd definitely suggest asking them for help.

May 3, 2021 at 9:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you both.
And Serri, the Booster's Lab bit is especially reassuring.
Hopefully down the line dealing with the weapons and boss thing will be easier to work with.

May 4, 2021 at 1:01 AM
Okay I give up... for now
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
It's been a while since I saw a thread pop up for a new mod that seems to have so much promise. The art looks amazing, I especially like that sort of "3D" effect for Heavy Press.

But yeah, some of the things you seem to be trying to do will either require ASM or something really custom. When I first saw those screenshots, I thought that this was either a fangame or a CSE2/NXEngine project instead of a mod of the vanilla game.

I want additions such as an alt path leading to a new ending I have a bit planned out
I can relate. I'm very curious as to what your plan is for a new ending. Not sure how thoroughly planned out you have it and what threads you've seen, but if you are still looking for ideas and pondering thoughts, this thread and this thread may be helpful. X-Calibar's thread from 2009 had a heavy influence on my fourth ending mod.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 2:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Actually, I have a bit of inspiration coming from your forth ending mod. Though I approach it very differently.
The ending I have planned gives purpose to a lot of seemingly useless things in the base game.
All I'll say now is that Chaco's Lipstick, 'Malco's tea', and the fireplace in Jenka's House have meaning to progressing the alt path.
Sounds weird and that's because it is. But it'll be interesting I think.
But I'm currently going down the thread you sent and I'm finding tons of interesting stuff, so thank you for this.

May 4, 2021 at 3:45 AM
Okay I give up... for now
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Interesting, I'll be excited to see what you have planned. And good, glad that you're entertained by those threads.

By the way, since this is a thread for a Cave Story modding, this thread belongs in the modding showcase forum. You can probably get DT to move it for you.