Cave Story Season 2

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
DUE TO ALOT OF BUGS IN THE MOD, THIS MOD IS NOW IN PUBLIC ALPHA PHASE.
Here it is,
ABOUT:
This is a Cave Story mod that takes place before and after the events of Crystal Crisis (im not sure if that is even canon anymore.)
Most of this mod is inspired by Telltale Studios (mostly Minecraft Story Mode and Back To The Future.)
BASIC PLOT:
Episode 1: Quote, Misery, Curly and Balrog arrived at the surface and need to find the breakfast.
Episode 2: tba
Episode 3: tba
Episode 4: tba
Episode 5: tba
screeni1.PNG
screeni2.PNG
Basic tools
BOOSTER'S LAB BY NOXID
CAVEEDITOR BY WISTIL
GACHA CLUB BY LUNIME
DOWNLOAD BELOW:

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:47 AM
"Huzzah!"
I appreciate the ambition and look forward to this, but there is a lot of quirks that kinda irritate me.

I won't comment about the gacha profile pics mostly because Walfas are better.;)

I don't know if this is wanted to look like a video game, but if so, I would have suggested to use another tileset that has flat surfaces that work like prtEggs or others.
this.PNG
Capture.PNG
What.

Also, the beautiful intro cutscene that has black borders despite having a Widescreen mod enabled.
Capture.PNG
Yeah, not too thrilled so far, the incorrect tiles placement doesn't help too.

Played a bit more later and the first thing that I noticed in the dialogue (except a very old reference in the "Tutorial") is that there's ominous points coming in the dialogue, oooh ghost sights.
Capture.PNG
,.PNG
(It should be a question mark btw)
Capture.PNG

There's a glitch in the dialogue choice with Curly btw, if you ask for, first of all, there's no <CLR so it does this:
Capture.PNG
And second, when you ask for breakfast, they'll talk about Combine, also what the fuck is a combine anyway, bit of exposition?

Capture.PNG
[Vine boom noise]

Breadbear.png
Nice.
Capture.PNG
Yeah this game kinda be an acid trip, after that, you get like two fnaf reference after gura with the kids of Fnaf 4's minigame and then you get bullied by Terrance in a recreation of that one Bite of 83 animation, I'll assume this mod is a joke, in the same vein as Dayshift at Freddy that could be wacky and out of place like that, but the base game was not really.
I kinda felt like I was watching a video of dumbsvile where random shit pops out of nowhere super fast I guess.

For a game that says that you're choice matters, it's very linear for now.
Also, I was wondering, what is the objective symbol, I know it's an exclamation point but why does it look like that?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 6:42 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I won't comment about the gacha profile pics mostly because Walfas are better.;)
Next update I will add a walfa edition. You cant get a gacha edition and a walfa edition.
There's a glitch in the dialogue choice with Curly btw, if you ask for, first of all, there's no <CLR so it does this:
Capture.PNG

And second, when you ask for breakfast, they'll talk about Combine
Fixing both of those bugs in the next update.
don't know if this is wanted to look like a video game, but if so, I would have suggested to use another tileset that has flat surfaces that work like prtEggs or others.
Will change tutorial.

Also i just realized that the end cant be accessed in the 1st version, this is gonna be fixed in the next update.
also what the fuck is a combine anyway
Clearly you have not read my lore thread.

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:46 PM
Okay I give up... for now
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Haha, I got a good kick out of this mod. I liked this mod's random and silly sense of humor. Both the lines spoken by the character, as well as the attitude of the narrator. The joke at the beginning with you dying and it being Quote playing the game was pretty good. At first I was a bit frustrated that I wasn't given the chance to save before fighting those robots, but then I realized it's super easy to get to that point really quickly. Not sure if it's intentional, but fighting those robots the old-fashioned way is really hard, so I only ever managed to beat them by launching them into the sky. Does the mod end once you've defeated those robots by launching them into the sky? The screen went black once I did that, and I didn't know where to go after that. I ordered cereal form Chaco, and then Jenka gave it to me after the battle, but my inventory says it's gum base.

It seems that a lot of this mod's lack of polish is part of the joke, and in many areas it works for me, but there were some parts where the lack of polish didn't quite work for me:
-In the tutorial, when it says "You may choose what a character says next..." and then it goes to the next part, it does something weird and looks like it's doing some text, but then jitters and jumps to some other text. I think something weird is going on here.
-The very end of the first part of the tutorial (when it's telling you how to jump on the Xbox and Playstation) is missing a <NOD.
-When you talk to Curly in the house and choose "Breakfast" instead of combine, the message box is missing a <CLR and a <NOD.
-"Are you the kid who hides under the tables." - Has an extra line break show up in the text box. This is because of the message box by default starting a new line after 35 characters.
-"Which breakfast do you want?" - Line by Prof. Booster, the question mark gets cut off
-When you have the choice to "Roast him" or "Fight him," you're missing a <CLR, at least for if you choose to roast him. Same thing for if you choose a rap battle
-I think I jumped off the edge of the map at Bredbear's. I jumped onto the roof, then got a running head start, and jumped off the right edge, and off the edge of the map, and had to reset because the game didn't notice that I died.

Overall, fun mod, it entertained me for a good 30 minutes.

May 1, 2021 at 5:04 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
At first I was a bit frustrated that I wasn't given the chance to save before fighting those robots
Well
The game autosaves when you enter Bredbear's
Also I might fix most of those those bugs in an update today, then after that the next update tomorrow will fix some more flags.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 6:19 PM
Okay I give up... for now
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
May 1, 2021 at 9:06 PM
Best Cow
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You may need to use <FL+0431 for the autosave, for the case of there being save points, but the player hasn't interacted with any of them.

May 4, 2021 at 1:14 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
OK 0.4 is now released.

0.4 FEATS:
1. Fixed a bug where you cant talk to the pigtailed girl.
0.5 FEATS
1. Autosaving working properly (1.5 released 5/3/21)
2. Game now beatable.
0.6 FEATS:
1. Broken Talkable Jack
2. Fixed Game breaking bugs.

Last edited: