Cave Story 2.0

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This will be my first mod, and I'm VERY unexperienced, except for knowing how to do a little bit of M.U.G.E.N., but here is what I've done so far:

*Changed the red in Quote's sprites to Blue (because I can)
*Broken robot from First core fight in Starting room
*Arthur's House now has the save point and healing station where the beds are

(another thing, how do you make npc's say things when you interact with them? when i interact with that robot i mentioned, Quote automatically just turns back around.)

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Set an event number, and make a corresponding event number in the script.

For example, if you set event 200 on the object itself, in the script file you want

Code:
<stuff goes here>
You also need to make sure to set the event to 'interactable' (0x2000).

If you're using Booster's Lab, you can click on an existing NPC and the top left of the map window should have the stuff concerning that event, including the flag, event number, draw order, and a selection of event handlers, such as 'Interactable', 'Run event on Touch', etc. I couldn't tell you how to do it in Cave Editor, I've no experience with it.

For the script itself, you'll have to take some time to mess around with existing scripts to test out exactly what each operator does.

"<END" is the easiest one, it ENDs the event.

"<MSG" is the one you'd want for a message window to open, and any written text after it would show up in the window.

"<NOD" puts a pause in the dialog window that waits for the player to hit Z or X to continue the dialog. This is required to also show up before the window closes, or the window will close without waiting for you to read it.

"<FACxxxx" will draw a face in the box, depending on the number (which requires four digits). If you open the graphic file for faces in the data folder, the top left black tile is <FAC0000. 0001 is the one to the right of it and so on to the next row and beyond. <FAC0000 is also special in that, when used, it removes any existing <FAC in the event.

So the simplest event you could run would be,

Code:
<MSG<FAC0001Hello World!<NOD<END

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:20 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If this mod is supposed to be some sort of "remastered" version of Cave Story, I'd recommend doing one thing:
Leave Quote's sprites red.

That's all for now, I guess

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Set an event number, and make a corresponding event number in the script.

For example, if you set event 200 on the object itself, in the script file you want

Code:
<stuff goes here>
You also need to make sure to set the event to 'interactable' (0x2000).

If you're using Booster's Lab, you can click on an existing NPC and the top left of the map window should have the stuff concerning that event, including the flag, event number, draw order, and a selection of event handlers, such as 'Interactable', 'Run event on Touch', etc. I couldn't tell you how to do it in Cave Editor, I've no experience with it.

For the script itself, you'll have to take some time to mess around with existing scripts to test out exactly what each operator does.

"<END" is the easiest one, it ENDs the event.

"<MSG" is the one you'd want for a message window to open, and any written text after it would show up in the window.

"<NOD" puts a pause in the dialog window that waits for the player to hit Z or X to continue the dialog. This is required to also show up before the window closes, or the window will close without waiting for you to read it.

"<FACxxxx" will draw a face in the box, depending on the number (which requires four digits). If you open the graphic file for faces in the data folder, the top left black tile is <FAC0000. 0001 is the one to the right of it and so on to the next row and beyond. <FAC0000 is also special in that, when used, it removes any existing <FAC in the event.

So the simplest event you could run would be,

Code:
<MSG<FAC0001Hello World!<NOD<END
I'll try out Booster's Lab, it sounds like it would be a big help for events! Thanks!

If I can figure out how, I might add different backgrounds like that Touhou mod did.
I think I might add a couple extra easters eggs, like maybe a secret image.
I WILL FIND A USE FOR THE STATUE SPRITES IN MIMIGA VILLAGE!
Break the fourth wall a lot.
excuse the grammar btw im just brainstorming right now
Im also going to try to use all of the other unused content in the game, possibly even the beast fang, if I can work it into the story (maybe after the toroko boss, to give it a bit more emotional impact, like a symbol of what will happen if you don't save the mimiga)
I'm open to suggestions!
If this mod is supposed to be some sort of "remastered" version of Cave Story, I'd recommend doing one thing:
Leave Quote's sprites red.

That's all for now, I guess
Like I mentioned earlier, I kinda just changed Quote's sprite because I could, and it was the first change I made. Also, how do you set a platform to be solid? (God this is probably a stupid question)

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:02 PM
scrungy
Also, how do you set a platform to be solid?
If using Booster's Lab, in the tile selector, right-click the tile and select #41

Also, don't use MS Paint (which I'm assuming you use, alongside CaveEditor). Use this instead.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM
scrungy
Randolf said:
The best graphics editor is course CE's internal editor. If you have Cave Editor, you won't need any Paint(.NET), any other tools, the best tool is included with the editor! Useful, isn't it?

My only problem with it is that it can't add colors.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:33 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for all the support guys! I work on this every friday because then I get to visit my grandma, who has the files on her computer. My parents have a grudge against me for accidentally putting a trojan on the laptop. So now I'm not allowed to download anything on their computers, even through my flash drive being used on their computers. I will, however, keep all of this in mind! Thanks again!
A few more questions though... (like I said, I have little to no experience whatsoever)
how do you change the .exe icon?
where are the weapon sprites?
Any ideas for the mimiga statues?
Should I edit some of the sprites to make them a little more detailed?
Randolf said:
The best graphics editor is course CE's internal editor. If you have Cave Editor, you won't need any Paint(.NET), any other tools, the best tool is included with the editor! Useful, isn't it?
To be honest, I didn't even know you could USE paint! I thought SPRITEs had to be edited with a sprite editor!
Aar said:
My only problem with it is that it can't add colors.
This more than likely won't be a problem, seeing as I want to keep the atmosphere of the game, unlike mods like Haunted House Story
Another thing, is there some way to add a new type of entity such as the aforementioned mimiga statues being read? (This question has probably already been answered by you guys, sorry)
Another thing, is there some way to add a new type of entity such as the aforementioned mimiga statues being read? (This question has probably already been answered by you guys, sorry)
Aar said:
If using Booster's Lab, in the tile selector, right-click the tile and select #41
Yeah, I'm definitely using Booster's Lab, but I will use Cave Editor as well! It seems I should use CE for sprites and tilesets, and Booster's Lab for entities and events etc. in a combination of the two editors! Alright, I'm going to the store to buy a Wii U eshop card! See ya!
p.s. Maybe an invisible wall maze, because EVERYONE loves those!

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM
LSD
"..."
Changing the icon for the EXE (and also DoConfig's EXE) is actually quite simple. First, make sure that you make a backup of your game just in case something goes wrong (nothing should, but it's your first time so you may have a few mistakes.) Then you need to create a 32x32 image that will serve as the icon. Once you've done that, find a PNG to ICO converter (ConvertIcon is one that I've found to be very easy to use) and download the ICO (icon file). The next thing you're going to want to download is Resource Hacker (This link will immediately start the download). Once the download has completed, run it and open the EXE of your game (or DoConfig). Open the 'Icon Group' tab, followed by the '0' tab. A small gear called '1041' should appear. Right click it and choose 'Replace Resource'. You will be prompted to 'Open file with new icon...' This is where you find your ICO file you just made, and choose it. After that, click 'Replace' and save your EXE with 'File > Save'. Your EXE should now have your new icon!

EDIT Weapon Sprites are found in the Data folder under Arms.pbm (which using Cave Editor you can change into PNGs or BMPs which you can then edit.)

Can you be more specific as to what you want as the entity for your Mimiga Statues?

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:38 AM
scrungy
MimigaEmpire159 said:

Use entity id 0 and set the event number to whatever it'll say.
Make sure to set the flag to 2000 (or "Interactable" in Booster's Lab)

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Randolf said:
hahahaha nonononono
Cave editor pbm editor is so terrible in every single way
Seriously paint.net is great for sprite editing and it doesn't take much more effort to open a pbm in paint.net than it does to open it in cave editor editor

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Based Member
I'm pretty sure Randolf was being sarcastic.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sorry I haven't been online for a few days! I've been playing Zelda: Minish cap on wii u! It works surprisingly well on the tv!
Alright! Today's friday, so I'll get to work on it again around 6 pm today
Darn it how do I extract a .jar file? I'm using windows 8

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
MimigaEmpire159 said:
You don't normally extract those, you just run it with java.

if you do need to extract it, Google is your friend.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
um, this is another stupid question, where do I find java?

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:48 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Jul 12, 2014 at 1:50 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
(lol I got practically nothing done in my working time but I did put in the Mimiga Statues and put a tiny little white dot on the Polar star that's supposed to be the star.)
I also got it on my flash drive and my parents said it was okay for some reason. But hell no I won't question it if they're actually agreeing with me!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Java has a download at www.java.com

But if you are trying to program java, you need an IDE