Cave Story with a fourth ending

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DoubleThink said:
I don't know where you got this idea, although it doesn't really surprise me. Take 8 was the only community project I ever tried to direct, and only because I had a good reason (content for CS+). The others I had very little to do with, insofar as they'd even progressed far enough for it to matter.
Oh, sorry, guess I just sorta got the idea into my head somehow.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Going to be honest, when I saw the youtube video AND the "evidence" for it, I spent about 4 days actually trying to get it in-game. If the extra ending had turned out to be some ridiculous piece of BS that made no sense whatsoever, then I would have immediately discounted it as just that, a piece of BS. However, this one was so convincing that I actually believed it for quite some time.

I can't help but feel deceived and somewhat put-off that you made extra videos to "prove" its existece. It was, honestly, a really good April fools' joke. It's just that, in my opinion, they should be limited to April fools' day. Please, I was almost driven away from the game forever because of this (maybe I'm just getting too emotional. I'm sure there are far more emotional people out there who handled this just fine).

The little details were really quite amazing, and had a beautifully crafted story line. I hope to use this mod as an inspiration for the storytelling in my future work.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Based Member
aladin676 said:
I can't help but feel deceived and somewhat put-off that you made extra videos to "prove" its existece. It was, honestly, a really good April fools' joke. It's just that, in my opinion, they should be limited to April fools' day. Please, I was almost driven away from the game forever because of this (maybe I'm just getting too emotional. I'm sure there are far more emotional people out there who handled this juts fine).
As of late, there has been a significant amount of negative reception increasing on my second video of that nature, so I guess that after a year, the joke is finally starting to lose it's humor.
aladin676 said:
The little details were really quite amazing, and had a beautifully crafted story line.
Thanks!
aladin676 said:
I hope to use this mod as an inspiration for the storytelling in my future work.
Nice to know that I've inspired you. :D

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
You know Hayden I didn't dislike the joke ever but I really don't like telling people the truth about it. I saw a wonderful drawing of Toroko the other day, but then I saw the description. "I drew her because I found out you can save her." I had to tell the artist that they were wrong, and that they'd been tricked by a member of the Cave Story Forums. They didn't like to hear it, and I didn't like to say it. Perhaps since it's already passed its anniversary, you could stop the joke?

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Dunc2403 said:
You know Hayden I didn't dislike the joke ever but I really don't like telling people the truth about it. I saw a wonderful drawing of Toroko the other day, but then I saw the description. "I drew her because I found out you can save her." I had to tell the artist that they were wrong, and that they'd been tricked by a member of the Cave Story Forums. They didn't like to hear it, and I didn't like to say it. Perhaps since it's already passed its anniversary, you could stop the joke?
By "stop the joke" do you mean you want him to take down his two videos and make another video telling everybody that it was a joke?

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I think removing the videos would be a waste. The joke could be ended in several other ways than that.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Professional Whatever
A small "this was an april fools joke" in annotation form would be good enough imo

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Yeah, not too big. An annotation would probably be ok, along with some slight edits here and there.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Professional Whatever
To the video? I wouldn't go that far. Just put something basic that people are guaranteed to see and move on

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Nah, not to the video. Maybe to the annotation at the beginning of the first video. Simple edits like that.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Based Member
Okay, annotations have been added to the beginnings of the two videos, so the joke has finally come to an end after a year and two days. Well guys, that was fun. At least for me it was. I've decided to gather a full list of all the forum pages and discussions, videos, and modding projects that spawned as a result of my mod.

Here is a full list of pages and discussions that spawned as a result of my mod: Here is a full list of videos that spawned as a result of my mod: Here is a full list of modding projects that started because of my mod: Now some of you might ask: Why did I decide to make this into a hoax? Well, my motive behind the hoax would be best understood by why I made the mod in the first place. Some time during August or September 2011, I was playing Cave Story for what seemed like the millionth time, and I was fetching Jenka's Puppies. I then thought, "You know, it would be interesting if something happened if you brought a puppy into the Sand Zone Storehouse, I'm going to try that." I then tried it, and found it rather odd that the puppy simply disappeared when you entered the storehouse, and that it magically went over to Jenka's house as though nothing had happened.

My mind then exploded with thoughts about the puppy intervening before even King did, perhaps even soon enough to save Toroko, and change the situation, and perhaps even alter the course of the game's events. As days went by, ideas for certain things that could happen developed in my mind when it had time to wonder freely. I then thought of the idea of making a mod about it, and thought, "I wonder how well it would flow with the story in other people's opinions." I then thought about doing a blind test, where I'd see how realistic it seemed for someone who would be tricked into thinking it was a part of the original game. So I planned on having my mod ready in time to show it to my brother when he came home from college for Christmas, and was going to try and trick him into thinking that it was part of the original game.

One unique advantage that I had was that NICALiS had at the time recently announced Cave Story+, and put "Four unique endings," as one of the features. This helped trick him into believing there was some extra ending that he hadn't seen before. Before it was time for him to go back to school, I managed to have a stable beta done, and I showed it to him. To my great surprise, it went at least twice as well as I had optimistically hoped it would; he was completely convinced it was real. Pretty much the full story can be seen here. And seeing how I was for the most part successful in tricking him, I decided to share the deceptiveness of it with the world, and see how it would fly then. Turns out, it was once again more popular than I expected it to become, causing dud-LPs, forums threads, dedicated skype conversations, and incorrect Cave Story wiki edits to take place just because of my video.

Even before I posted the first video, I had already had an underdeveloped idea for my update video in mind, so the second video had always been a part of the plan.

Well guys, I don't know about you, but I sure laughed my head off at all those comments and forums threads. When my brother looked at all the comments on my second video, he said that if I had a dollar for every hour of other people's time wasted because of these videos, I would have a pretty decent income.

/Year-long hoax

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Excellent Mod...

I had watched your video AND your follow-up video explaining how the fourth ending was definitely real. I was pretty excited about it (because your videos were incredibly convincing), but, when I tried it, I couldn't shoot the block, no matter what happened. It was only later that I had discovered it was simply an April Fools joke. I was disappointed, but then I found that the footage in your video came from this mod. I usually don't play mods, but this one had me excited. This should have been an ending in the original game! Great work. :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Based Member
Total 2D said:
I had watched your video AND your follow-up video explaining how the fourth ending was definitely real. I was pretty excited about it (because your videos were incredibly convincing), but, when I tried it, I couldn't shoot the block, no matter what happened. It was only later that I had discovered it was simply an April Fools joke.
:awesomeface:

Total 2D said:
I was disappointed, but then I found that the footage in your video came from this mod. I usually don't play mods, but this one had me excited. This should have been an ending in the original game! Great work. :)
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

May 30, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You've done amazing work on this mod. I personally enjoyed the fourth ending, and how much work you put into making that kind of modification to the endings.

One bug I wanted to point out was that right after teleporting to the Plantation, the cutscene works correctly. However, if you immediately teleport back to Arthur's house and go elsewhere, the camera runs off, then sticks itself on a point far to the right of the area's teleporter, thinking the cutscene is going again.

EDIT: I also noticed a story anomaly. Professor Booster believes that it is the Demon Crown that lets its wearer survive bodily destruction. However, this is incorrect, as the power of the Red Crystal destroys the Doctor's body, and it's stated by the Doctor that the Red Crystal is allowing him to survive. This may be intended, as Professor Booster most likely never personally saw this happen before or made a guess on it, or that his "eyesight isn't what it used to be," as can be seen when talking to him with the Mimiga Mask on.

May 30, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Based Member
Speed Lightning said:
You've done amazing work on this mod. I personally enjoyed the fourth ending, and how much work you put into making that kind of modification to the endings.
Thanks!

Speed Lightning said:
One bug I wanted to point out was that right after teleporting to the Plantation, the cutscene works correctly. However, if you immediately teleport back to Arthur's house and go elsewhere, the camera runs off, then sticks itself on a point far to the right of the area's teleporter, thinking the cutscene is going again.
Oh dear, you are absolutely correct. Well, I'm not sure if I'm game to fix it. The final version was released a while back, and I don't know if I want to release another version over a year later. Not so much just because it's the final version, but also because I don't want to go to the trouble to have andwhyisit re-port it. I've considered releasing just a windows version with some of the glitches that have been reported since the final version fixed, but this is just hypothetical. Anyway, good find.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Here's a lesson to the few people who didn't know this:
NEVER release a final version of your mod WITHOUT a pre-release to help you find glitches! NEVER!
I thought everyone knew that!

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
A Gamer said:
Here's a lesson to the few people who didn't know this:
NEVER release a final version of your mod WITHOUT a pre-release to help you find glitches! NEVER!
I thought everyone knew that!
Please consider that Hayden's mod did have a pre-release of sorts, and according to the version history, he didn't release a final version to this until almost three months after the initial release. Again, if you check the version history, you can see that this has gone through multiple glitch and text fixes. He gave a few months to test for all of that.

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
We have found what, two glitches since the final release? Hayden put a lot of work into making the mod glitch-free. He even sent a personal thank you to everyone that did even the slightest bit. So don't say that Hayden didn't do that, as it simply shows that you don't know how to read threads before posting.

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Gosh, sorry. It's not like I'm the smartest one here. Besides, I bet that because I was wrong, the next 4 posts will be pointing that out. Geez, 1 little post and I feel like everyone's against me now. Sorry.