Cave Story with a fourth ending

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:33 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
mcchiefkins said:
Hayden, I beg of you, make this a mod for Cave Story plus! Please!
I've actually ported some of it into CS+, but in order to make a fully functional mod, it would require editing some images. And in order to distribute a proper CS+ port, I'd need to distribute edited 2x res tilesets. And redistributing NICALiS' graphics would be illegal, I'm afraid.

You'd be surprised how many requests I've gotten to port this mod to CS+. Someone actually PMed me on youtube, and I kinda gave him some instructions on how he could make his own port with some tools and a copy of Cave Story Plus. So I'm probably not going to port this to CS+ any time soon, but I'll paste here some instructions you could follow to make your own port that should theoretically work and that you can follow if you're motivated enough to make this yourself, and can't wait until I've received enough requests to merit the effort:
There will need to be a bit of effort on your part, depending on how thorough of a job you want done. For the highest quality port, do all of the following:

- First, back up your copy of Cave Story+; you will be replacing some stuff, so you want to make sure you can revert back if you mess something up. You will need an installation of Cave Story+ ready, as well as a copy of my mod that you can copy files from.

- Copy all of the .pxe, .pxm, .pxa and .tsc files from the "stage" folder of my mod, and paste them into the "stage" folder of your Cave Story+ installation. Also copy ArmsItem.tsc and Credit.tsc from the "data" folder of my mod into the "base" folder of your Cave Story+ installation.

- Copy ItemImage.pbm from the "data" folder of my mod to the "ogph" folder in the Cave Story+ installation and change its file extension to .bmp whilst replacing the original file. Do the same for NpcRegu.pbm in the "Npc" folder of my mod into the "ogph\Npc" folder of your Cave Story+ installation. Additionally, copy PrtAlmond.pbm, PrtJail.pbm, PrtMimi.pbm and PrtStore.pbm from the "stage" folder of my mod to the "ogph\stage" folder of your Cave Story+ installation, change their file extensions to .bmp, and replace the original files.

- Take an examination of all of the differences between all of the image files mentioned above, and notice all of the differences between the new files you copied, and the ones you replaced. Modify all of the 2x resolution counterparts to accommodate these changes.

- Download the extra credit art illustrations here: http://www.mediafire.com/?numync9fatd1dbo
and put them in the "ogph" folder of your Cave Story+ installation. There are currently no double resolution versions of the new credit art illustrations, so if you want some double resolution versions, you're going to have to make them yourself. However, I can provide you with a 2x res version of Professor Booster's glasses that I used for my video: http://www.mediafire.com/?rhdq85a9lw5zq82

NOTE: There is a known bug that if you try to go into the Sand Zone Storehouse with the puppy when porting this, the game will crash. This is because I had to make an extra map for the alternate scene in there due to Jenka's puppy showing up, since it resided in a different sprite sheet from what the original map was configured to use. And Cave Story+ doesn't play well with extra maps. So if the game crashes for you when doing this, then there are a couple workarounds for this. You can either:

1) Play past that part of the mod in the regular Cave Story engine, and convert your current save to a CS+-compatible save via this program: http://www.cavestory.org/downloads/profilecompiler.zip and then continue onward.

2) If you do this, you won't be able to get the other three endings, but hopefully the fourth ending will work. The above is the more simple workaround, but you miss out on the cutscene where King an Toroko live. I will assume that you have copied the .pxe, .pxm and .tsc files from my mod into the stage folder of your CS+ installation. Go into that folder in the CS+ installation. Now delete "Gard.tsc", "Gard.pxe" and "Gard.pxm". (do NOT delete Gard.pxa). Now rename "Gard2.tsc", "Gard2.pxe" and "Gard2.pxm" to "Gard.tsc", "Gard.pxe" and "Gard.pxm" respectively. Now delete Sand.tsc, and replace it with this version of the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?g7f2305uzih22bo
And hopefully it will work. Though you might encounter this glitch also during the credits before the scene with King and Jack watching the Colons play with Toroko, because I had to add a map there as well. If you're dedicated enough to do all this, and get all this working, then I might be willing to find a solution for the glitch with the credits as well, but first I want to see how willing you are to do all this.

Hope this helps.

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:00 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Darn... It's a shame you can't port it to CS+ without it being illegal. I was thinking that in a future update, they would make the 4th ending a DLC (Downloadable content) thing and you could buy it for CS+. Anyway, I somehow didn't post in this topic near the time that I played through this, (Even though I thought I did) All I have to say is...
WOW
I could finally save Toroko and King and not be scarred/traumatized every time I had to play through that part. I did however, mess up like, 3 times before finally getting it. (I did have to look at your guide on how to get it, I feel kinda bad, but the first part got me so bad. The part with the puppies and not giving Dr. Gero the cure-all also got me) Overall, it was worth it.
Also, I am going to get around to the thing. (You should know Hayden) It's just taking some time...

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:16 AM
Based Member
Rubyyoshi said:
Darn... It's a shame you can't port it to CS+ without it being illegal.
Indeed it is a shame.
Rubyyoshi said:
I was thinking that in a future update, they would make the 4th ending a DLC (Downloadable content) thing and you could buy it for CS+.
Haha, I'm not sure how likely it would be for NICALiS to just come up and contact me and get content a fifteen-year-old (the age I was when I made this mod) created, and make it as an expansion, but you can dream.
Rubyyoshi said:
Anyway, I somehow didn't post in this topic near the time that I played through this, (Even though I thought I did) All I have to say is...
WOW
I could finally save Toroko and King and not be scarred/traumatized every time I had to play through that part.
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it! It never gets old receiving another reply to this thread saying something to that effect.
Rubyyoshi said:
Also, I am going to get around to the thing. (You should know Hayden) It's just taking some time...
Cool! Tell me how it turns out. I didn't actually try this all out myself, but in theory it should work.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Rubyyoshi said:
Darn... It's a shame you can't port it to CS+ without it being illegal.
Actually I'm fairly certain it would be perfectly legal so long as you don't distribute it in such a way that people can get it to work without first getting CS+.
Say if you were to make a patch that needs to be applied on CS+ to give it the fourth ending.

Rubyyoshi said:
Also, I am going to get around to the thing. (You should know
diph.php

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Based Member
Duke Serkol said:
Actually I'm fairly certain it would be perfectly legal so long as you don't distribute it in such a way that people can get it to work without first getting CS+.
Say if you were to make a patch that needs to be applied on CS+ to give it the fourth ending.
I did look into that, actually. And I was unable to easily make a patch that could authenticate a directory or series of files before extracting without having to go to a bunch of trouble to learn another programming language.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So, uh... What's up with the YouTube vids?

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
HaydenStudios said:
Lol yeah i thought so.

But why not wait until April 1 again for the latest one? Or did you just want to make it more believable?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Based Member
zacheryb99 said:
But why not wait until April 1 again for the latest one? Or did you just want to make it more believable?
That's right, I wanted to make it more believable, and I just wanted to get it out there ASAP.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM
So, are you planning to do any more April fools videos?

Besides that, I'd like to see what happens if NICALiS ever took note of your mod/video. Your opinion?

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Based Member
zacheryb99 said:
So, are you planning to do any more April fools videos?
I had plans on doing a video where I'd be on the downloads page and pretend to download a fresh copy of Cave Story, and play that fresh copy and show that you can get the fourth ending in that fresh copy, but another guy has offered to do it. If the video turns out to meet a good standard of convincingness, then I will refer people to that video instead of make it myself. Although I've also considered doing an LP of the fourth ending in Cave Story+.
zacheryb99 said:
Besides that, I'd like to see what happens if NICALiS ever took note of your mod/video. Your opinion?
Depends on what you mean by "took note". If you mean as in just knew about it period, I wouldn't actually be all-too surprised if they knew my videos existed, with them being an independent company.

Assuming they know about the false information being spread about, to my awareness they haven't cared enough to make an official statement dispelling the rumors I'm spreading. If anything, I don't think they are/would be annoyed with me, seeing as how I think I may have indirectly given them a few extra bucks, judging by the fact that some comments have appeared to say that they were getting Cave Story+ or getting the Eshop version to see if it had the fourth ending.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Professional Whatever
I'd be surprised if they acknowledged 4th ending at all. I mean, look at all the work we put into Take 8 for CS+ and (as far as I know) we haven't heard a word about it since from them.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
MagicDoors said:
I'd be surprised if they acknowledged 4th ending at all. I mean, look at all the work we put into Take 8 for CS+ and (as far as I know) we haven't heard a word about it since from them.
I'm not going to lie, if I were Nicalis, I wouldn't have included Take 8 as an official mod/levelset. There was a severe lack of Quality Control in the submissions for Take 8, and it shows greatly when you play it.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Professional Whatever
To be fair it was your best piece of modding work

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:57 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Ohai picture. (Took me a min to realize)
Anyways, I think that Nicalis shouldn't add/make the 4th ending a reality in Cs+. I have no clue what Take 8 refers too, but it probably doesn't concern me.
I was so considering to do a Lp with the 4th ending in normal Cs with your mod, but I'm not sure if I still want to do that.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Based Member
Samiarglob said:
Heheh, very funny.

Rubyyoshi said:
I have no clue what Take 8 refers too, but it probably doesn't concern me.
Take 8 was a collaboration project where the community got together to make one mod. As you are probably aware, a mod is usually made by one single person due to the nature of these forums, and other people working on it is usually just contributing a sprite sheet or two, or just some ideas, or maybe some music, but not really hands-on developing it. It's quite rare if ever happening that two people actively collaborate on one mod with near-equal involvement. With that, it is nigh impossible to get a whole community to collaborate on one mod. DoubleThink has tried and failed numerous times to get something like this going, and has only recently been seeming to pull off what has failed seven times before. The reason it's called Take 8 is because this is the eighth time this has been attempted to organize. This specific one was going to be given to NICALiS for a Cave Story+ update as a series of rooms. The eighth time being a charm (at least, as far as getting it done goes...), this project was a success.

Rubyyoshi said:
I was so considering to do a Lp with the 4th ending in normal Cs with your mod, but I'm not sure if I still want to do that.
If you ever do, I'd gladly put watching it on my to-do list.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
HaydenStudios said:
DoubleThink has tried and failed numerous times to get something like this going, and has only recently been seeming to pull off what has failed seven times before.
p145889-0-confusedeagle.gif

I don't know where you got this idea, although it doesn't really surprise me. Take 8 was the only community project I ever tried to direct, and only because I had a good reason (content for CS+). The others I had very little to do with, insofar as they'd even progressed far enough for it to matter.