Waterway Challenge

Do you like the game and did it work? (if not please say in comments what happened)

• No, it didn't even work!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This is my game! :chin::chin::chin::heart::heart::heart::mahin:
To start you have to click on Doukutsu.exe
Then press z and I think it should start!

Do not ask me why you start in a floating cabin just go with the sky cabin flow
There are two modes:
  • Polar Star Pathway
  • Machine Gun Pathway
Explanation and stuff is here but it's pretty easy to understand

Both pathways will give you a starting level 3 of that weapon! All your other weapons are level 1.
Your other weapons are bubbler, fireball, super missiles, and blade.
This pathway you start with a level 3 polar star.
Although you may instantly think that the machine gun is better, you may be surprised to find out what happens when you reach the boss fight!

This pathway you get a level 3 machine gun. You can even fly around with it and maybe try to take a few shortcuts!
You keep the machine gun all the way through.

Secrets and stuff:
The door to the waterway cabin no longer goes to there, but gives you a quick shortcut.
Oh, and there's a secret mode somewhere. It's nothing special, but can be fun to mess around in. If you want to find where to get into the secret mode, you'll have to search!

Bonus Level:
This is just a fun thing I made which is just another fun water level
You just jump in a water flow and go and explore!
There is a door at the end.
That is the finish!

Oh, and there are two more bonus levels.
One is the chinfish course where you have to go through several different obstacles of varying difficulties and try to make it to the end of the course.

The other is "Water Climb" which is a short level where you must travel upwards, trying not to drown and you might end up dealing with a mini-boss...
They are not related to balrog, they just have a similar name and abilities

If the download doesn't work sorry I'll try to fix it
Waterway Challenge Version 5 (FINAL VERSION): https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwocuh66ebhiydf/Waterway Challenge Version 5 Share.zip?dl=0
Waterway challenge version 4 with help of Championdude345: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn5jus3nauxplsp/Waterway Challenge Version 4.1.zip?dl=0
Waterway challenge version 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwuzh1n8zbitiml/Waterway Challenge Version 3 Share.zip?dl=0
Older Versions:

There's the link please tell me if it works!

Top Scores:
My best time is 1'21"1
I don't have it recorded but try to beat it someone I used the machine gun for it

Current Waterway King/Queen of Polar Star Pathway: ChampionDude345 1'22"6:critter::chin::balrog:
Current Waterway King/Queen of Machine Gun Pathway: zxin 1'41"5 :critter::chin::balrog:

I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:30 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Alright I guess I'll play this one too. I've been looking forward to this.

-Right off the bat, the game is in full screen. Most people like them windowed, so you may want to fix that.
-Also, Orgview and Manual are not necessary.
-So, once we actually open up the game, we need a nice little intro of Quote swimming through the waterway. The only problem I noticed was that the ground doesn't move with quote or the background. What I suggest doing to fix this would be to make the room really long, and have quote be standing on invisible tiles being and being pushed by the currents instead of using an ANP. Also don't forget to do a FON onto Quote.
-The title screen is nothing special, but I like it. I like how you took the time to change the music being played, but maybe next time you should make some custom art as well.
-Once you begin, you get to choose a pathway. The cabin is nice, but maybe to give off the impression that it's actually floating instead of just being stagnant, why not have the camera move up and down like the cabin is moving? This would be easy to pull off. Just put one of the sand zone birds on an invisible block under the cabin (or some other entity that moves up and down) and do a <FON onto it when the map fades in, but don't forget to focus the camera back onto the player using FOM when they leave the room.
-Since I like the Machine Gun, I chose that pathway.
-So, it looks like the challenge is just the Waterway but with some different weapons, but that's alright since you're new to modding.
-The weapons are pretty balanced, and not having the booster adds to it as well. I liked how the door acted as a skip instead of taking you out of the challenge. Not a lot of people would think to do that, and would just make it locked.
-Ironhead is pretty easy if you just use the missiles, but there are only 20 of them, so it works out. The fight is balanced, and I had a lot of fun.
-This mod is a good spin on Cave Story's Waterway.
-Woosh!
-After I played that pathway, I took a look at the Polar Star pathway. Not much changed but
giving the player the spur at the end was a nice touch.

Now, on to the bonus level. Water Flow Web.

-In this one, you get to swim through the maze-like stream picking pathways. One of which will lead you to a door.
-Even though there wasn't much gameplay (apart from the occasional spikes) or enemies to fight, just moving around and memorizing the different paths was fun on it's own.
-The parts with the moving blocks near the end were also a nice touch.

Overall, I liked it. It's not the best mod, but it's not bad. Keep it up, guy of walrus.

:thumbs_up:

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:45 PM
Alright I guess I'll play this one too. I've been looking forward to this.

(oops i numbered this wrong ill make this zero)0Right off the bat, the game is in full screen. Most people like them windowed, so you may want to fix that.
1Also, Orgview and Manual are not necessary.
2So, once we actually open up the game, we need a nice little intro of Quote swimming through the waterway. The only problem I noticed was that the ground doesn't move with quote or the background. What I suggest doing to fix this would be to make the room really long, and have quote be standing on invisible tiles being and being pushed by the currents instead of using an ANP. Also don't forget to do a FON onto Quote.
3The title screen is nothing special, but I like it. I like how you took the time to change the music being played, but maybe next time you should make some custom art as well.
4Once you begin, you get to choose a pathway. The cabin is nice, but maybe to give off the impression that it's actually floating instead of just being stagnant, why not have the camera move up and down like the cabin is moving? This would be easy to pull off. Just put one of the sand zone birds on an invisible block under the cabin (or some other entity that moves up and down) and do a <FON onto it when the map fades in, but don't forget to focus the camera back onto the player using FOM when they leave the room.
5Since I like the Machine Gun, I chose that pathway.
6So, it looks like the challenge is just the Waterway but with some different weapons, but that's alright since you're new to modding.
7The weapons are pretty balanced, and not having the booster adds to it as well. I liked how the door acted as a skip instead of taking you out of the challenge. Not a lot of people would think to do that, and would just make it locked.
8Ironhead is pretty easy if you just use the missiles, but there are only 20 of them, so it works out. The fight is balanced, and I had a lot of fun.
9This mod is a good spin on Cave Story's Waterway.
10Woosh!
11After I played that pathway, I took a look at the Polar Star pathway. Not much changed but
giving the player the spur at the end was a nice touch.

Now, on to the bonus level. Water Flow Web.

1In this one, you get to swim through the maze-like stream picking pathways. One of which will lead you to a door.
2Even though there wasn't much gameplay (apart from the occasional spikes) or enemies to fight, just moving around and memorizing the different paths was fun on it's own.
3The parts with the moving blocks near the end were also a nice touch.

Overall, I liked it. It's not the best mod, but it's not bad. Keep it up, guy of walrus.

:thumbs_up:
thank you so much for playing YAY
i marked your things with numbers so i can respond i hope this is a good way

0 how do people not like full screen its the best
1 oh ill try to delete those soon
2 thanks ill try to do that
3 thanks how do i change the big background of the CAVE STORY NEW LOAD (if thats what you're talking about)
4 ill try adding that i would have never thought of that on my own do i just do a <FOM0001 whenever they go into a door? also how do i get an invisible tile
5 yahooooo! :chin::chin::chin::D:D
6 yeah i thought it would just be a fun quick game to make yay
7 yay thanks i thought it would be a fun idea especially sometimes since people miss it
8 thanks i use the blade a lot for that fight
9 thanks YAYYYYY :D:D:D:chin::chin::chin::critter::critter:
10 is that the finishing water sound wait i think i might have said that somewhere
11 thanks i hope you enjoyed that thing i knew i had to add something since no one would pick polar star otherwise

bonus stuff water
i hope you enjoyed the alliteration of water flow then web
it's not really that much alliteration but i guess its something it was intended to be that way
1 yeah some of them even connect so its kind of cool i think
2 yay thanks i hope it was a fun more of a puzzle thing instead of a boom boom shoot shoot i mainly added it because i thought the challenge would just be a copy of a cave story level otherwise
3 yay thanks those were hard to add because i got them stuck in blocks a lot

thanks for playing yayyyyyyy
im glad it actually worked!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:48 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
0 how do people not like full screen its the best
I prefer fullscreen myself as well aside from when I'm modding but it tends to be a bit messy in that it doesn't work well for everyone.
As for the mod, I've got not much to say though the waterway maze is not too bad, though I stopped when I got send back to the start while I was not sure where to go.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:49 PM
I prefer fullscreen myself as well aside from when I'm modding but it tends to be a bit messy in that it doesn't work well for everyone.
As for the mod, I've got not much to say though the waterway maze is not too bad, though I stopped when I got send back to the start while I was not sure where to go.
thanks

maybe i should give the player a map system
there are multiple ways to get to the door i think
but there are even more multiple ways to not get to the door so

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:59 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
I found this mod kinda enjoyable:
Make sure you remove:
- Manual
- 290.rec (if it's ever there)
- Manual
- OrgView
- Window.rect (as long as you don't open your Doukutsu executable the Window.Rect won't reappear)
I don't feel you HAVE TO make it 640x480 but it's something people prefer.
The mod's interesting, while the weapons you get are fine; it's easy overall. The part of the waterway you did edit wasn't all that good, you need to make it look more organic:
p362856-0-sjfcqou.png

It's not perfect but you get the idea I'm trying to get across.
The waterway maze was extremely basic but kinda fun, I like the whole thing with the joke spike; it's neat.
The opening is weird with Quote walking on water? Also make sure you switch out the floor and ceiling to "motion wall" or entity 196.
I think it's a good mod, just needs some more work, the mod's not the best but you're getting better at it, keep it up, you'll only get better!

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:02 PM
Soup Man
thanks

maybe i should give the player a map system
there are multiple ways to get to the door i think
but there are even more multiple ways to not get to the door so
I think you should give the player the map system, but not right off the bat. Maybe hide it in the maze?

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:07 PM
I found this mod kinda enjoyable:
Make sure you remove:
- Manual
- 290.rec (if it's ever there)
- Manual
- OrgView
- Window.rect (as long as you don't open your Doukutsu executable the Window.Rect won't reappear)
I don't feel you HAVE TO make it 640x480 but it's something people prefer.
The mod's interesting, while the weapons you get are fine; it's easy overall. The part of the waterway you did edit wasn't all that good, you need to make it look more organic:
p362856-0-sjfcqou.png

It's not perfect but you get the idea I'm trying to get across.
The waterway maze was extremely basic but kinda fun, I like the whole thing with the joke spike; it's neat.
The opening is weird with Quote walking on water? Also make sure you switch out the floor and ceiling to "motion wall" or entity 196.
I think it's a good mod, just needs some more work, the mod's not the best but you're getting better at it, keep it up, you'll only get better!
how do i use motion walls?
what do they do also
thanks for the feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah i didn't know how to get quote to move through water in the beginning so i just did an <ANP and i couldn't find one where he doesn't walk

also ill try to edit that thing and make it look more real and stuff
its hard to get it curved and stuff since i need the currents to make sure they flow down

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:45 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
how do i use motion walls?
what do they do also
thanks for the feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah i didn't know how to get quote to move through water in the beginning so i just did an <ANP and i couldn't find one where he doesn't walk

also ill try to edit that thing and make it look more real and stuff
its hard to get it curved and stuff since i need the currents to make sure they flow down
Yeah I get what you mean, it's hard to do that stuff with ANP and such and making it look natural.
As for the Motion Wall you set the entity however you want as a ceiling and or floor.
It's meant to give the illusion of "movement" in the main-artery where you Ironhead:
p362859-0-oydwv8e.png

So if we do the same ourselves, we find that all ceiling Motion Walls are set with flag 0x1000, which is called "option 2", basically telling the engine we want the reverse of the Motion Wall by itself:
p362859-1-hgmi0vp.png

0X1000 gives us the "reverse" effect for something if there is one in CS's engine.
So not having flag 1000 set means we can have the regular Motion Wall or the floor version of it:
p362859-2-urnaoif.png

This will create we know and probably love:
p362859-3-8epbbb1.png

Yeah I'm Doukutsu Trainer, if it's good for me it's good for anybody.
But you get the idea.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:50 PM
Soup Man
Yeah I get what you mean, it's hard to do that stuff with ANP and such and making it look natural.
As for the Motion Wall you set the entity however you want as a ceiling and or floor.
It's meant to give the illusion of "movement" in the main-artery where you Ironhead:
p362859-0-oydwv8e.png

So if we do the same ourselves, we find that all ceiling Motion Walls are set with flag 0x1000, which is called "option 2", basically telling the engine we want the reverse of the Motion Wall by itself:
p362859-1-hgmi0vp.png

0X1000 gives us the "reverse" effect for something if there is one in CS's engine.
So not having flag 1000 set means we can have the regular Motion Wall or the floor version of it:
p362859-2-urnaoif.png

p362859-3-8epbbb1.png

But you get the idea.
Oh wow I didn't know about motion walls. That's actually really cool.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:02 PM
p362859-0-oydwv8e.png

p362859-1-hgmi0vp.png

p362859-2-urnaoif.png

p362859-3-8epbbb1.png

But you get the idea.
if my thing has more tiles on the bottom how would i make those move??

or do i not and i just only have the motion walls

also i cant get them to work :(

they keep going to the top right corner and bouncing a lot i dont know whats happening

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:15 PM
Soup Man
if my thing has more tiles on the bottom how would i make those move??

or do i not and i just only have the motion walls
Just motion walls I think

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:38 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
This is my game! :chin::chin::chin::heart::heart::mahin::heart:
To start you have to click on Doukutsu.exe
Then press z and I think it should start!

Do not ask me why you start in a floating cabin just go with the sky cabin flow
There are two modes:
  • Polar Star Pathway
  • Machine Gun Pathway
Explanation and stuff is here but it's pretty easy to understand

Both pathways will give you a starting level 3 of that weapon! All your other weapons are level 1.
Your other weapons are bubbler, fireball, super missiles, and blade.
This pathway you start with a level 3 polar star.
Although you may instantly think that the machine gun is better, you may be surprised to find out what happens when you reach the boss fight!

This pathway you get a level 3 machine gun. You can even fly around with it and maybe try to take a few shortcuts!
You keep the machine gun all the way through.

Secrets and stuff:
The door to the waterway cabin no longer goes there but gives you a quick shortcut.
Oh, and there's a secret mode somewhere. It's nothing special, but can be fun to mess around in. If you want to find where to get into the secret mode, you'll have to search!

Bonus Level:
This is just a fun thing I made which is just another fun water level
You just jump in a water flow and go and explore!
There is a door at the end.
That is the finish!

If the download doesn't work sorry I'll try to fix it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u65jdmqibw2y1ps/Waterway Challenge Share.zip?dl=0
There's the link please tell me if it works!

Top Scores:
My best time is 1'21"1
I don't have it recorded but try to beat it, someone, I used the machine gun for it

Current Waterway King/Queen: None yet:critter::chin::balrog:

I hope you enjoy!

Okay, it's alright, but you need to know how to use <TUR's. The 3rd door of the start of the sign, after about 3 seconds, the message disappears. The best way to use <TUR's is this example:
<PRI<MSG<TURHi this is my mod.<NOD<CLRI hope you enjoy it!<NOD<END. I hope this helps! [/QUOTE]

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:11 PM
Okay, it's alright, but you need to know how to use <TUR's. The 3rd door of the start of the sign, after about 3 seconds, the message disappears. The best way to use <TUR's is this example:
<PRI<MSG<TURHi this is my mod.<NOD<CLRI hope you enjoy it!<NOD<END. I hope this helps!
[/QUOTE]
thanks for playing!

I cant find this door you're talking about :(
which room is it in?
I'll try to fix it, thanks for the feedback! :D:D:chin::chin:

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:56 PM
Mar 11, 2018 at 2:45 AM
Soup Man
Alright! Been looking forward to the update so here are my notes.

-The intro and title are still the same, but that's OK. They don't really matter to the mod, but it'd still be nice if you updated them a bit.
-The Sky Cabin now shifts up and down like I suggested, and this looks way cooler than I thought it would. Nice job.
-Once in the Chinfish Course, I noticed the tiling was really well done. This is really nice stuff.
-Maybe add a save point in it in case you die.
-I think the explanation for the 2nd part of Fantastic Flow could be better. I saw the spike in the middle and went for the top anyway.
-Apart from that, I don't think there's much else to add. It's a nice little obstacle course. I do really like the concept, and I think it should be expanded upon.

Fun level.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:53 AM
Alright! Been looking forward to the update so here are my notes.

-The intro and title are still the same, but that's OK. They don't really matter to the mod, but it'd still be nice if you updated them a bit.
-The Sky Cabin now shifts up and down like I suggested, and this looks way cooler than I thought it would. Nice job.
-Once in the Chinfish Course, I noticed the tiling was really well done. This is really nice stuff.
-Maybe add a save point in it in case you die.
-I think the explanation for the 2nd part of Fantastic Flow could be better. I saw the spike in the middle and went for the top anyway.
-Apart from that, I don't think there's much else to add. It's a nice little obstacle course. I do really like the concept, and I think it should be expanded upon.

Fun level.

thanks for reviewing!

also thank the BLink guy for the "tiling" he encouraged me to make it look all fancy and stuff and showed me a small demonstration of what good stuff looks like
:chin::chin::chin::chin::critter::critter::critter::critter::heart::heart::heart::heartrefill::heartrefill::heartrefill::heartrefill::pignon::pignon::pignon::pignon::pignon::pignon::orangebell::orangebell::orangebell::orangebell::momo::mahin::mahin::mahin::mahin:
Those are a lot of cave story reactions!
The most are pignons, they are really happy you played

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:13 AM
Wow, how was it possible to make the first room move up and down?

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:40 PM
Wow, how was it possible to make the first room move up and down?
i forget who told me im pretty sure it was the cybersleuth guy but is name is different now they're one years old though or something so you may find them

i used a basic up and down bat and when you start the game focuses on the bat instead of you
i also made the room really tall so it would actually focus other wise the room is just the size of the screen
and i used invisible blocks which i changed with boosters lab to make them solid so i could control how high the bat would move otherwise it'd look really crazy

here i think https://www.cavestory.org/forums/members/cyber.6978/#profile-post-48007

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:52 PM
i forget who told me im pretty sure it was the cybersleuth guy but is name is different now they're one years old though or something so you may find them

i used a basic up and down bat and when you start the game focuses on the bat instead of you
i also made the room really tall so it would actually focus other wise the room is just the size of the screen
and i used invisible blocks which i changed with boosters lab to make them solid so i could control how high the bat would move otherwise it'd look really crazy

here i think https://www.cavestory.org/forums/members/cyber.6978/#profile-post-48007
Thanks and I don't know why it would need to be tall because wouldn't it focus on the offscreen bat and here are some more ideas for screen focus
1. flame bomb, gunfish, or NpcKings as alternate hover cameras
2. basil
3. boulder (for cutscene so that the camera follows when Balrog throws the boulder or I guess it could just be you throw the boulder because Balrog doesn't do anything besides animate)
4. invisible polish and baby as easy camera NPCs
5. invisible unused NPCSym blue flame (mod it to not hurt and it will fly around quote and make the camera look drunk)
6. big and small jellyfishes make it look like the platform is dancing

and here are some minigame ideas for either minigame mods or as minigames in a big mod
1. Autoscrolling areas
2. Enemy as a flashlight where the camera is attached to a chasing enemy so you have to lead the enemy so you can see where to go my suggestion is hoppy