Picking a Different Nickname

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:31 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Two questions for you guys that may make you rethink your entire concept of self!

1. If your desired nickname was already in use when you signed up, what would you probably have picked? Some of the older members might have trouble thinking that far back. Also, it would be nice if you could think of something other than an alternate spelling, but I know not everyone is that creative.

2. If you had to change your nickname now, for some reason or another, what would it be?

And while we're here, you guys can see how some of the older members got their names and even bump the thread: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:42 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
1. Well, Cripplechair wasn't taken, so yeah.

2. My first thought is to just go with Cripple, but the only reason I'd have for that is to make it harder to find me online while preserving my crippleimage. Otherwise, I'd go with OcaTril, a stage name I never implemented because I never pursued music with any consistency. It's a combination of ocarina (my instrument) and a play on trilby (my preferred style of hat) and trill (the sound). I'm currently at that sweet spot where I can say I've been playing the ocarina for seven years.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If this username was taken, I probably would have tried a number of alternate spellings before giving up and picking something stupid. This is actually the first place I ever went by Noxid, and it's also the first username I'm happy with.

If I had to change it now, I'd probably go with El Conquistador

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
wait so are we talking about IRL nicknames or forum handles?

because my IRL nickname is super boring so let's go with how I developed my forum handle over the years.
please note if that a nickname makes you cringe it probably makes me cringe, too.

my first handle was Hack_SW, which I never really used outside of registering for sites that required a name, not forums, so I have never posted under that name. I think I must've made this up when I was 13 or so? it's like hack saw but "saw" replaced with my initials.
I was so clever.

eventually though I realized that was a pretty stupid handle, and came up with FrenzySliver, a card from the popular trading card game, Magic the Gathering. it was really original and stuff, and sounded super cool.

I had a bunch of shenanigans where I kept changing my forum handle on this other site, and eventually people were like "fuck this, we're making a name for you, and you won't be able to switch out of it". after some bargaining, I came out as wickdaggler a couple years ago, and this username still really resonates with me; I've grown to love and embrace it over the years.

finally, on this site, I came up with the super original nickname of "explosive". one time on IRC, some sort of series of events ended up with me changing my name to "sexplosive" (I think it was some thing where we were changing our names to be more sexy? idk it was a while ago). anyway I kept logging on there as sexplosive, and eventually I was like "fuck this, it should be my forum handle, too", so then I asked DT to change it. he's a total bro.

and here we are

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
1. Maybe: ickymickey

2. Smt. like: Ickymickey, Gunnybunny... :p

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Nov 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
My joining the forums was a long time ago, but I think that, at that time, if wedge of cheese had been taken (recall that I had no capitalization back then), I'd have gone with retarded genius. Now, however, DiamondSoul has become my new preferred username.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:05 PM
to be frank some words or recurring elements have become so overused in usernames that it's hard to take them seriously. for example:
-dark, black etc
-soul
-royalty (i.e. KirbyKing)
-elements (i.e. FlameKirby)
-any inclusion of characters/ items etc from the media from which a forum is derived (i.e. if the forum was centered around cave story, naming yourself King, or Explosive)
- XxX[username]XxX or any derivative of that
-[username][string of numbers] (i.e. CaveStory1342)
-[verb][animal] (i.e. DarkWolf)
-[media]fan (i.e. kirbyfan)

I'm sure there are a lot more that you guys can think of
anyway yeah if you don't use any of these, than you earn a bunch of points in my book
that's right I am judging you BEFORE I EVEN TALK TO YOU

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:15 PM
Been here way too long...
I agree with sexplosive. If we had characters from Cave Story on an autoban list, nothing valuable would be lost, with a few notable exceptions. I guess those notable exceptions are why we don't do it.

Anyway, number one: If Captain Fabulous was taken, I would have gone with another inside joke or maybe a meme I liked at the time. I can't remember what that might have been, though. Possibly a Sinistar reference?

Number two: It's difficult for me to think of my online presence as anything other than Captain Fabulous or any version thereof (CptFabulous or Fab), so I'd probably change it to my favourite anagram, Anal As Pubic Tofu. I really don't have any other names for myself.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Captain Fabulous said:
Two questions for you guys that may make you rethink your entire concept of self!

1. If your desired nickname was already in use when you signed up, what would you probably have picked? Some of the older members might have trouble thinking that far back. Also, it would be nice if you could think of something other than an alternate spelling, but I know not everyone is that creative.

2. If you had to change your nickname now, for some reason or another, what would it be?

And while we're here, you guys can see how some of the older members got their names and even bump the thread: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/

1. That was a long time ago...But I remember it like it was yesterday. I wanted my user name to sound original, so I decided to pick the adjective+unrelated noun combo. Worked perfectly I see. But if it was taken? I don't know. This simple user name that defines me took quite some time think up. I still would've went with adjective + noun...Or maybe just use my usual nickname that use for forums (I won't tell you what it is).

2. I guess it wouldn't really matter since most of you know me as woodenrat. I sure as hell wouldn't do what wilddesu did - have a two letter username. I'd shorten it, but not that much. I'd either call myself Wooden, or WoodenR.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:29 PM
oh hey I should probably actually answer your question, fab
sorry

If explosive wasn't available I would have probably resorted to wickdaggler, or even FrenzySliver (uuuuuughhh)

if I had to change my nickname right now it would be to something insanely stupid just to see how you guys react to having to address someone, whom you know pretty well, as penisman

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I've used Safusaka everywhere for nearly 6 years

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
If Cave Story was taken (or filtered) I would have registered under the name GodSpeed. GodSpeed is my stage name, and GoldenGamer789 is usually my username (on sites that separate the two).

I have actually been contemplating whether or not to ask a mod/admin to change my name to GodSpeed. Having the username Cave Story was cool at first, but I don't want to turn into a one-trick pony. :J

sexplosive said:
-any inclusion of characters/ items etc from the media from which a forum is derived (i.e. if the forum was centered around cave story, naming yourself King, or Explosive)

-[username][string of numbers] (i.e. CaveStory1342)

That's right, I am judging you BEFORE I EVEN TALK TO YOU

:p

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM
Hey.
sexplosive said:
-[verb][animal] (i.e. DarkWolf)

Explain to me how dark is a verb?

Also, Ollie is the name of my dog.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Cave Story said:
hey man that's just like my initial impression!
you are one of the most cool people I know on the internet
also did you notice the self deprecation there (the best form of humor! :sarcasm:)
I mean come on if I named myself explosive, how could I judge someone for naming themselves cave story

@ollie I meant adjective give me a break :koron:

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
sexplosive said:
hey man that's just like my initial impression!
you are one of the most cool people I know on the internet
also did you notice the self deprecation there (the best form of humor! :sarcasm: )
Yeah, I had assumed that (in the least arrogant way possible).
Yes, I often self-defecate.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Cave Story said:
Yes, I often self-defecate.

Well who is going to do it for you?
I wouldn't, gross.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM
inside is yello
"..."
I actually used to go by the name Ampersand (long way to say the "&" symbol for those who don't know) for a while, then switched over to Shimmyzmizz (character from Mother 3.) I alternate between the two now, so if I had to change it, or if it had been taken, I would have gone with Ampersand.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:10 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Limey, of course.