How to "run" PC Cave Story on your 3DS (Homebrew Launcher Required)

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I will never deny reality. Your statement is untrue, and hence is not reality. You cannot prove that no-one else issued takedown requests.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/621392 Here, it says the project was removed by the author. I acknowledge that this may not actually be the case.
http://b-som1.newgrounds.com/reviews/flash/responses You can see here that someone suggested the game may not be allowed due to it being a port.
If a website was getting revenue from a game, and was asked by someone completely unaffiliated to end that revenue by removing the game, with no consequences of saying no, they would say no. Can I just put bogus removal requests on everything in newgrounds and expect them to be honoured? What bullshit.

And the person was immediately turned down because his argument was flawed. You are clutching at strings.

The "removed by the author" part is true.

There are also websites that don't act on reports from either.
Tell me when you find one. The ad revenue isn't ever worth risking a legal challenge.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015 at 11:22 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
If a website was getting revenue from a game, and was asked by someone completely unaffiliated to end that revenue by removing the game, with no consequences of saying no, they would say no. Can I just put bogus removal requests on everything in newgrounds and expect them to be honoured? What bullshit.

And the person was immediately turned down because his argument was flawed. You are clutching at strings.

The "removed by the author" part is true.

Tell me when you find one. The ad revenue isn't ever worth risking a legal challenge.

I asked for a post made by a friend on Newgrounds to be removed, and it was. The post wasn't even in violation of any laws.
Newgrounds is actually a nice website, unlike here, and wants to maintain a friendly and law-abiding community.

I think you mean "clutching at straws". Which is still the wrong phrase, because that's not what I'm doing.

And what does ad revenue have to do with removing content?.. Seems like you're clutching at straws.

EDIT: by the way, thanks everyone for completely derailing this thread.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:57 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I asked for a post made by a friend on Newgrounds to be removed, and it was. The post wasn't even in violation of any laws.
Newgrounds is actually a nice website, unlike here, and wants to maintain a friendly and law-abiding community.

I think you mean "clutching at straws". Which is still the wrong phrase, because that's not what I'm doing.

And what does ad revenue have to do with removing content?.. Seems like you're clutching at straws.

EDIT: by the way, thanks everyone for completely derailing this thread.

Someone is much more likely to remove a post or content from a site if they're a "friend". As you can see from the review you posted (http://b-som1.newgrounds.com/reviews/flash/responses), rather than the author responding with "ok i will take it down" they said "really? (link to doom port)", implying that they disagreed with the sentiment that ports weren't allowed on the site. I imagine that it was only when they had a request from someone with more authority on the matter (say, maybe, Nicalis?) that they would've buckled and taken it down. Also if you don't like this site you're free to leave at anytime.

The phrase you are searching for is "grasping at straws".

And you're doing a pretty good job of helping this "derailing" yourself. But this isn't derailing, since it's discussion related to the topic of this 3DS port, specifically discussion on if this port should even be allowed in the first place.

Is there any proof that it was taken down due to their requests? Other people had reported it beforehand.

Is there any proof that it was not taken down due to their requests? Is there any proof that none of them were taken down due to their requests? Either way, with the issuing of said requests, they definitely had a hand in taking down the flash requests from at least some of the sites, if not most.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015 at 4:14 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well this port sure is poisoning the site. I say burn it for making people angry at eachother.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Didn't mean for this thread to cause a huge fight. Just trying to share cave story news. Sorry.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:11 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Didn't mean for this thread to cause a huge fight. Just trying to share cave story news. Sorry.

It's fine, and it's not your fault. It's not really an issue either, and it does have to be talked about if this thread is going to stay on the site, because who knows if this shits legal.

I don't really think Nicalis would be cool with this myself, but I'm not them. Even if this was legal, it'd be kinda morally dubious since Nicalis is asking money for what you're providing (essentially) and you're giving it away for free (basically). Even if it's not the same engine, it's still the same game.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:28 AM
Professional Whatever
yeah no it's all good vectrex
i think a lot of the people on this site (including me) handle discussions/arguments a bit too roughly, which causes too much strife from time to time
with that in mind, q3 i feel like you've been kind of overly salty in this thread from the beginning, and while I'm not trying to lecture you or anything, I do feel like it would be best for people to just cool down for a bit so that you all don't start actually hating each other

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:40 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Better to have it out than sit on it for days. Plus this is something that needed to be debated.

That is completely irrelevant. Posts don't bring in ad revenue, games do.

And I assure you once again that possibility has nothing to do with legal reality. Nicalis have far more legal rights over Cave Story than they currently employ or enforce.

But legal rights are irrelevant in this case, I consider this to be a matter of morality. Forcing a game dev company to compete with a mostly the same product produced for free results in lost revenue, and people are only doing this to get the game for free, it's as simple as that.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015 at 6:41 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The title of this topic is misleading. Also, Retroarch is available for various platforms, including the Wii.

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Better to have it out than sit on it for days. Plus this is something that needed to be debated.

That is completely irrelevant. Posts don't bring in ad revenue, games do.

And I assure you once again that possibility has nothing to do with legal reality. Nicalis have far more legal rights over Cave Story than they currently employ or enforce.

But legal rights are irrelevant in this case, I consider this to be a matter of morality. Forcing a game dev company to compete with a mostly the same product produced for free results in lost revenue, and people are only doing this to get the game for free, it's as simple as that.
Technically this is the PC version basically ported to 3DS via NXEngine, without any additions or extra content or such - not Cave Story 3DS. Would playing the freeware PC version on PC be immoral, given that Cave Story+ exists?
It's the same difference.

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
CS+ was made in competition with its freeware counterpart. The eShop version wasn't. The major CS+ vs CS selling points, the new music and graphics, are absent from the eShop version. It was built on the premise of "CS DSi with CS+ game modes and stereoscopic 3D". CS DSi itself was just regular CS for DSi. It being on the DSi was the main selling point, as was the eShop version to the 3DS, with some extra sweeteners to help people make the switch from the DSi version.

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:24 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
CS+ was made in competition with its freeware counterpart. The eShop version wasn't. The major CS+ vs CS selling points, the new music and graphics, are absent from the eShop version. It was built on the premise of "CS DSi with CS+ game modes and stereoscopic 3D". CS DSi itself was just regular CS for DSi. It being on the DSi was the main selling point, as was the eShop version to the 3DS, with some extra sweeteners to help people make the switch from the DSi version.
The DSi version had the best Sanctuary time attack in the history of cave story.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:03 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm just glad I transferred my CS DSi to my 3DS so I don't have to buy it again or use this homebrew thing. I've heard some horror stories about bricking Wiis with homebrew, so I'm not sure if anything similar is possible on a 3DS.

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:16 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
I'm just glad I transferred my CS DSi to my 3DS so I don't have to buy it again or use this homebrew thing. I've heard some horror stories about bricking Wiis with homebrew, so I'm not sure if anything similar is possible on a 3DS.
The 3DS homebrews don't change any of the important internal files like with the Wii's. So it won't brick your 3DS.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:32 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

The only time I have seen a 3DS get bricked from using Homebrew was from the short time where if a 3DS detected a flash card (They eventually found a way past this so don't worry about using one to run DSDoom or whatevs.) it would send a fake update and brick the thing. But eventually they decided to be less harsh and removed that feature. Although I thought this was a rumor at first I saw some pictures of it. But that doesn't seem entirely related other than the fact that it has to do with homebrew and bricking so... my apologies for that.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
The only time I have seen a 3DS get bricked from using Homebrew was from the short time where if a 3DS detected a flash card
You do realize the mentioned 3DS homebrew method doesn't include Flashcards?

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:44 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
You do realize the mentioned 3DS homebrew method doesn't include Flashcards?

I know. I was just saying that that was the only time I have ever seen a 3DS get bricked by Homebrew. I was just saying it's mostly safe nowadays to homebrew a console.

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:08 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
I know. I was just saying that that was the only time I have ever seen a 3DS get bricked by Homebrew. I was just saying it's mostly safe nowadays to homebrew a console.
If this is true, then why would it actually even only happen when using homebrew while a flashcard is inserted? I don't think even Nintendo is so smart to do that.

Just to be sure: you do realize a bricked system means it cannot do anything anymore and so is rendered unusable? And not just "okay your system can't use your flashcard haha.
There are alot of people who thought updating your 3DS could break your flashcard, but this wasn't true either.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Yeah, a bricked handheld or console is essentially a glorified paperweight.