Attention Everyone--Mod Challenge

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:58 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Terri's Night Out was pretty nice. I liked the redone graphics and music, and I have to admit a certain image almost made me jump due to it coming out of the blue. It was also a pleasant surprise to see that you incorporated my random suggestion for the name of the Detonator. The only problems I had with it were a short-lived control issue (which was pretty much on my part, because apparently using the numpad for your arrow keys ends up breaking your down key) and that the Rave Story meme was a little forced (though that's just personal opinion).

Also, the train is an utter ballbag.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:22 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay, a couple things were fixed so Terri's Night Out V1.0.0.1 is now available!

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm in. And here is my contest entry.

Hullet Bell
Easy version (you still need the entire Hullet Bell game to play this, it's just the executable file)

Features:
- Unique gameplay
- 7 different enemies
- 5 stages with a boss at the end of each one
- Neat music (?)

Screenshots.
p191725-0-f154f8cc4a.png

p191725-1-86bd9bdbf5.png

p191725-2-f02adc724e.png

p191725-3-5f4bcbcf6d.png

p191725-4-80133f8ddb.png

Enjoy this little piece of trash.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:16 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
This is REALLY unique, Randolf! The first stage is lots of fun and a great introduction, but oh my god the name is no joke. I seriously can't beat the second level because there is so much stuff everywhere. I can't imagine how tough the next few stages are.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
So, I done did a thing:
p191729-0-802c47d6f4.png

As it turns out, I'm not that bad at bullet hells. It was pretty fun, albeit frustrating towards the final couple levels. What kind of sucked, though, was that my wall of dakka matched the greenness of the green shapes' dakka, leading to minor confusion (though I guess that's what I get for trying to murder the everything even after I was fully powered up).

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:53 PM
hi hi
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
So, I done did a thing:
p191729-0-802c47d6f4.png

As it turns out, I'm not that bad at bullet hells. It was pretty fun, albeit frustrating towards the final couple levels. What kind of sucked, though, was that my wall of dakka matched the greenness of the green shapes' dakka, leading to minor confusion (though I guess that's what I get for trying to murder the everything even after I was fully powered up).
Oh, sorry about that. The bullets are kinda different green, but it might not be noticeable.. oh well.
Did you like the final boss?

Edit: 900th...

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Randolf said:
Oh, sorry about that. The bullets are kinda different green, but it might not be noticeable.. oh well.
Did you like the final boss?

Edit: 900th...
Indeed I did. The first two or three times I made it to said boss, I ended up getting absolutely wrecked by the sudden downpour of bullets. That final time, however, I ended up finding a safe spot to hide in during the first pattern of bullets that still let me do decent damage to the boss. I still couldn't find a way to dodge the second pattern without taking at least one hit, but hey, invincibility frames.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:56 PM
hi hi
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
Indeed I did. The first two or three times I made it to said boss, I ended up getting absolutely wrecked by the sudden downpour of bullets. That final time, however, I ended up finding a safe spot to hide in during the first pattern of bullets that still let me do decent damage to the boss. I still couldn't find a way to dodge the second pattern without taking at least one hit, but hey, invincibility frames.
Yeah, the second pattern is really hard to dodge, but I made it possible to beat him without dodging at all. Eh, maybe that's not really clever, but it's hard to program a bullet hell in Cave Story engine. That's why I'm dropping this project after the contest and I will never return to it.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:49 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
My entry to the comptetition:

p191733-0-hafoxrj.gif

(Download)

No Music.

No Enemies.

No Weapons.

A short jog through the snow,
with one alternate (bad) ending.

Just get some wood,
and stay warm.

This mod was an experiment in seeing if I could make something vastly different from anything I've ever done before.

I also tried to avoid being overly ambitious this time around, so compared to anything else I've ever done, it's incredibly short...like, really short. Still, I hope it's a fun, albeit short, experience.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:52 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
PolarStarGames said:
I also tried to avoid being overly ambitious this time around, so compared to anything else I've ever done, it's incredibly short...like, really short. Still, I hope it's a fun, albeit short, experience.
Eh, I personally didn't mind the shortness of it. It was a fun little challenge, what with the new physics. It actually made normally easy jumps more difficult, which I like. There're a few things I noticed while playing through it, though:
-The Map System was still called the Map System even though it was now a sheet of papyrus.
p191734-0-23554e42c5.png

-I spy with my little eye some water in a corner that probably shouldn't be there maybe...
-You kind of lied a little bit with the "no music" bit. You may not hear any game over music should you die to spikes (nice touch on the lower death noise, by the way), but you WILL hear it if you manage to fall to your doom in the one area with a bottomless pit.

I also managed to get the alternate ending, and I have a thought when it comes to it... (spoilered, of course)
Even if you forgot the firewood, couldn't you just head back across the now-repaired bridge, climb down to the lowermost part of Cold Outlook, and then go chop down the tree? If that's not the case, then I assume the protagonist is now too cold to venture that far. If that's the case, then couldn't he just make a small fire with one of his spare chairs in order to warm up enough in order to actually get the firewood?

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:20 PM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
-You kind of lied a little bit with the "no music" bit. You may not hear any game over music should you die to spikes (nice touch on the lower death noise, by the way), but you WILL hear it if you manage to fall to your doom in the one area with a bottomless pit.
I forgot to remove that! I just used the default script for "falling off", so that's an oversight on my part.

SeasonsOfDestiny said:
I also managed to get the alternate ending, and I have a thought when it comes to it... (spoilered, of course)
Even if you forgot the firewood, couldn't you just head back across the now-repaired bridge, climb down to the lowermost part of Cold Outlook, and then go chop down the tree? If that's not the case, then I assume the protagonist is now too cold to venture that far. If that's the case, then couldn't he just make a small fire with one of his spare chairs in order to warm up enough in order to actually get the firewood?
Sure, he could do those things, and if I felt like fleshing the mod out more I could have something like that happen, but it's probably going to stay as is for lazyness's sake. Never a good reason, but the alternate ending is basically just a cop-out for what could be a more satisfying alternate end, due to the previously mentioned lazyness and also an inability to come up with an "alternate ending" that isn't what it is.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM
hi hi
That was pretty fun, PolarStar. It was pretty fun, although I hated the jumps at one point because I kept falling off the blocks...
The custom graphics were pretty good, the music was 2/10, the gameplay was good. The new physics were pretty cool, and I like the way you used the snow.
I wouldn't call it "short", because most contest entries are about the same length.
Good job!

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:04 PM
War criminal
Okay, so I guess I should type this.

First off, Hullet Bell. My computer has been refusing to download it for me for the past couple days and it finally did today. And so I tried both the normal and easy versions. I think this is my second time playing through a bullet hell game (first time was Guxt) and I really need to start paying attention to my player because I'm such a noob at bullet hells.
Overall, Hullet Bell is a very well done unique mod. I'll probably use this game to train and refine my skill in bullet hells.

And now, A Walk Through The Snow. I've said this in the Skype group, but I'll say it again. The new physics in the mod + the platforming really reminds me of Maplestory. I was struggling just to go to the alternate ending and I completely forgot about the firewood in the process of doing so. Also, I originally wanted to point out the Game Over music during the testing, but I didn't know if that was intentional or not until I saw the "No music" feature in your post afterwards.
Overall, A Walk Through The Snow has potential to be something even greater and I hope to see more from it.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:42 PM
Professional Whatever
Jesus you guys really put the bar up high. I doubt my mod'll place high but I'll still see if I can finish it before the deadline.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:54 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
With the obvious disinterest in my Doctor Who Story mod, I may start on my other idea for a challenge mod...

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM
X-Calibar Online
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I'm amazed how you changed Cave Story, Randolf! This should find its way to the JP uploader... I'm sure they'd like it. High props for uniqueness and execution.
As promised, here's my playthrough with original difficulty...
http://youtu.be/fRyJg1Umwos
No commentary :/ So I'll fill you in on the juicy details:

Disclaimer: I was able to play an early version of Hullet Bell, so I had already experienced lvl 1, and a bossless lvl 2. Everything else was new though! I'm glad you finished it...

0:40 - First attempt! Brimming with confidence, and hype. Also, failing a lot. lol
First boss really is easy... I dance after winning ;D
Second boss... OMG BULLET BLINDNESS. I can't see how to dodge that massive spam!!
2:34 - Second attempt! Still cocky as ever... Experienced a little pause up, when the game lost focus...
Beat second boss... but brute forced it... Still haven't noticed the simple pattern at this point.
Third boss... wow. I was lucky I didn't get caught at the opening shot. Fast!
5:35 - Third attempt! I take some damage in first stage, and sacrifice myself to the boss gods.
6:20 - Fourth... attempt! Ugh took damage again... time to sacrifice myself... Huh...?
Wat.... FLASHY FLASH FLASH! No boss.... Stage Complete... What... lol Looks like a debug key was left in... Happened to hit it in my rage spam. I restart it to avoid cheating :p
7:30 - Fifth attempt! ... Nothing to see here... Died on boss two, BUT I noticed the pattern finally!
???? - Sixth attempt... Finally mastered boss two. No issues there from this point on... Boss three is second easiest now.\
Now for fourth stage... This will be one of the hardest stages for me. Those HUGE bullets!
15:04 - Tenth attempt... BARELY beat boss 4... Now on to the finale... Epic music...
OMG lol... Didn't expect Him xP Totally overwhelmed me and I was toast...
20:10 - Eleventh attempt!! THIS SHOULD BE THE ONE I WIN! Except, I failed too much on the way, and am fighting the final boss with 4 health... With just a little more effort I should... just a little more... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
;-; I totally had him...

After that, there was much inner-raging and it would be another 30 minutes before I finally claim victory... Thought about quitting a few times, because I was holding off lunch till I won ;P xD BUT. I. DID IT!

46:15 - Thought about quitting after failing the final boss AGAIN... Well how about one more time...
46:22 - Final Run. Victory Is Served. ;D

Btw.. is the final boss is a reference to that "Game of the Year" first person shooter ... thing, with massive insanity that has him as the final boss? lol If so, I'm glad I randomly watched that video to completion one day xD
Nice work ;D

I'll see about playing the others tomorrow...

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:46 PM
Professional Whatever
Alright here's my mod, Pawprint Paradise. It's a short homestuck adventure mod thing. If you know what Openbound is it's pretty much that in cave story form.

Download

Screenshots
p191741-0-egq0l.png

p191741-1-egq23.png

I believe the concept's new, and there's some interesting hacks. Have fun.