How much damage does missile launcher do?

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It has recently come to my attention, that missile/super missile launcher in NXEngine deals incorrect damage. Sadly, there's no info anywhere on how much it should actually do. So if anyone knows how much 1 missile/super missile on each level do, how much boomflashes they spawn, and how much damage those boomflashes do - i need your help.

I've tinkered a little with bullet.tbl in CS+ and it looks like missiles themselves doesn't deal any damage at all, only boomflashes do. But that doesn't compute: in bullet.tbl damage for 1 boomflash of single regular missile is set to 1. One missile should spawn 1 boomflash (because missile is set to be inactive right after that), which spawns two smoke clouds, but i clearly see 6 boomflashes with lvl1 missile.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:11 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ok, i kinda figured it out: each missile on hit spawns another "bullet" with a predefined lifetime, on each frame this bullet deals 1 (or 2 for super missiles) dmg to a radius (and each frame that divides by 3 spawns smoke cloud).

For normal missiles lifetimes are 10/15/5. And this checks out for lv1 (10*1=10dmg) and lv2 (15*1=15dmg), however with lv3 it should be 5*1*3missiles=15, but in fact it's 17. Same with super missiles, lifetimes are 10/14/6, and dmg should be 10*2=20, 14*2=28 and 6*2*3missiles=36, but once again, it's actually 38 for lv3. Ugh.
Also, still can't figure out how blast radius works.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:36 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
It has recently come to my attention, that missile/super missile launcher in NXEngine deals incorrect damage. Sadly, there's no info anywhere on how much it should actually do. So if anyone knows how much 1 missile/super missile on each level do, how much boomflashes they spawn, and how much damage those boomflashes do - i need your help.

I've tinkered a little with bullet.tbl in CS+ and it looks like missiles themselves doesn't deal any damage at all, only boomflashes do. But that doesn't compute: in bullet.tbl damage for 1 boomflash of single regular missile is set to 1. One missile should spawn 1 boomflash (because missile is set to be inactive right after that), which spawns two smoke clouds, but i clearly see 6 boomflashes with lvl1 missile.

Boomflashes? What are Boomflashes?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:47 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
What the heck?

Boomflashes? What are Boomflashes????
Oh geez, i forgot the word "explosions", English not being my native language. Silly me.
If you have nothing constructive to say, i'd suggest you move on.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:32 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ok, i kinda figured it out: each missile on hit spawns another "bullet" with a predefined lifetime, on each frame this bullet deals 1 (or 2 for super missiles) dmg to a radius (and each frame that divides by 3 spawns smoke cloud).

For normal missiles lifetimes are 10/15/5. And this checks out for lv1 (10*1=10dmg) and lv2 (15*1=15dmg), however with lv3 it should be 5*1*3missiles=15, but in fact it's 17. Same with super missiles, lifetimes are 10/14/6, and dmg should be 10*2=20, 14*2=28 and 6*2*3missiles=36, but once again, it's actually 38 for lv3. Ugh.
Also, still can't figure out how blast radius works.

i thought the missiles seem to have kind of not exact damages
i'm not exactly sure though
you are probably doing more advanced stuff than i am thinking of:momo::pignon2:

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:12 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Oh geez, i forgot the word "explosions", English not being my native language. Silly me.
If you have nothing constructive to say, i'd suggest you move on.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh.

:momo::momo: "Oops!"

Level 1 missiles do 8 damage.

2: 15 damage.

3: Each missile does 8 damage, dealing 24 in total.

Level 1 Super Missiles deals 3×5 (15) or 3×6 (18) damage, as it does multiple hits per shot.

2: deals 3×9 (27) or 3×10 (30) damage. Two shots are allowed at once.

3: deals 3×5×3 (45) or 3×6×3 (54) damage. Once again, two shots are allowed at once, maybe more.

By the way, "2:" and "3:" mean level two and three.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2018 at 5:59 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i thought the missiles seem to have kind of not exact damages
i'm not exactly sure though
you are probably doing more advanced stuff than i am thinking of:momo::pignon2:
Well, yes. I'm not exactly sure yet, how that works. Either collision area changes every frame, or it's just because enemies keep moving and move out of explosion way.

Level 1 missiles do 8 damage.

2: 15 damage.

3: Each missile does 8 damage, dealing 24 in total.

Level 1 Super Missiles deals 3×5 (15) or 3×6 (18) damage, as it does multiple hits per shot.

2: deals 3×9 (27) or 3×10 (30) damage. Two shots are allowed at once.

3: deals 3×5×3 (45) or 3×6×3 (54) damage. Once again, two shots are allowed at once, maybe more.

By the way, "2:" and "3:" mean level two and three.

That... doesn't seem right. I can easily deal 10dmg with level 1 missiles. This can be easily tested on an enemy with a large hitbox, e.g. second stage of Monster X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2018 at 5:39 PM
[QUOTE="iSage, post: 362693, member: 9403"

That... doesn't seem right. I can easily deal 10dmg with level 1 missiles. This can be easily tested on an enemy with a large hitbox, e.g. second stage of Monster X.[/QUOTE]

Hm.

I am positive that the graphs I gave you are correct...so...

?

Are you sure it's on L. 1? It could be L.2.

Feb 27, 2018 at 6:42 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
[QUOTE="iSage, post: 362693, member: 9403"

That... doesn't seem right. I can easily deal 10dmg with level 1 missiles. This can be easily tested on an enemy with a large hitbox, e.g. second stage of Monster X.

Hm.

I am positive that the graphs I gave you are correct...so...

?

Are you sure it's on L. 1? It could be L.2.[/QUOTE]
Yep, i'm pretty sure. Directly hitting second stage of Monster X with a shot from lv1 missile launcher deals 10dmg, from lv2 15dmg and from lv3 17dmg. I've tested this several times to be sure.
And, judging by, erm, disasm, it's consistent with what code seems to do, for lv1 and lv2, but somehow not for lv3.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:39 PM
Hold on.

Are you playing CS+, CS3D, or the origanal version of CS?

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:08 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
CS+
Upd: and in original too. I can deal 10dmg with level one missile even to gaudis.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 8:24 PM
CS+
Upd: and in original too. I can deal 10dmg with level one missile even to gaudis.

Okay, THAT explains it. I was giving you the damage rates for the origanal version.

The CS+ damage rates are as follows:

Missile Launcher:

1: 8-12 damage, usually 10.

2: 12-20 damage, usually 16.

3: 20-30 damage, usually 25.

Hmm. I can't seem to find SM stats. I'll keep looking and post it here when I find them.

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:29 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Um. Look at the UPD. I'm getting same dmg values in CS+ as in original. And why shouldn't i? CS+ is built mostly from the same sourcecode.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:11 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Oh well. First of all, i was right. normal missile launcher should do 10/15/15 or 11/16/18 depending on Pixel's original intention.
However, there's a bug in original game (and CS+) in how it processes queue of bullets, that causes explosion ai to sometimes skip on one frame, thus dealing additional damage.
Bullet processing code just goes over an array of bullets. Missile AI on hit adds explosion bullet to *the first empty position* in this array.
So, if explosion bullet is added *after* missile - it's AI is triggered on the same frame, reducing it's life. But if it's added *before* (which happens when first missile already removed from array, but it's explosion is not yet) missile, then it's AI is triggered only on next frame, when it's already dealing damage.
I'm pretty sure this can be also triggered by quickly shooting and switching from another weapon.

UPD: sure enough, i was able to deal 11dmg with a lv1 normal missile by carefully timing bubbler shot in the air (e.g. you should shot missile before bubble disappears, but bubble should disappear before missile hits target).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 6:45 PM
Um. Look at the UPD. I'm getting same dmg values in CS+ as in original. And why shouldn't i? CS+ is built mostly from the same sourcecode.

Oh, gosh, I'm sorry.
I haven't been on for a while.
CS+ has different damages, on easy, normal, and difficult modes.