Changing OrgMaker instruments?

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I've been trying to change the drums and all those nice little sounds in OrgMaker, (Both versions) but every time I try, it crashes the exe...

I kinda wanted to make an orgmaker with different instruments for my mod.
I put custom drums in it, so composing songs with the normal drums might end up making it sound bad when finished, so if anyone has figured this out, let me know.

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:01 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
I dont know...

I dont use OrgMaker.

Edit: Actually, I do, but I dont know how to make music with this. :/

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:29 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
This is very easy.

Go to options, select instruments.

A screen should pop up, along the top it should have the numbers 0-7, those are the wind instruments and string instruments. the bottom part is the percussion, aka drums, part.

Simply scroll down the lists till you find something useful.

Easy. Lemme know if you run into any problems. Also, go here. It's GIraka's modified version which shows the notes. It is found on the first page.

Edit: Here's a direct link to his modified version, so no one complains they can't find it.

Edit2: Only the first four or so drums can be used with the exe. Any others are unsupported by the Cave Story and would only cause the exe to crash. Sorry, but your stuck with the first drums, there isn't anything we can do.

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Safusaka said:
I've been trying to change the drums and all those nice little sounds in OrgMaker, (Both versions) but every time I try, it crashes the exe...

I put custom drums in it, so composing songs with the normal drums might end up making it sound bad when finished, so if anyone has figured this out, let me know.

Ohh, you got me interested in this (AND consumed about 1 hour of my time).

Here's what I was able to figure out with orgmaker v 134.

The waves appear to be 22050Hz, 8-bit and mono. However despite this, whenever I would try to replace one of the instruments with a wave in this format (PCM, same as the waves i got out of the exe) the wave just wouldn't load in the program, and would play as whatever percussion instrument i had clicked before. Some of the other waves (such as bass01, snare01, hiclose, hiopen) were unable to be opened in there current format as waves. I don't know what pixel has done, but he is a bit of a sound-format wizz (ptnoise, ptvoice, pxt....) so he's obviously done something special to these files. I don't know how to make a pxt the right format though. Good luck I guess.

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:51 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
As far as I know, you can only change drum sounds.
But you're going about it the wrong way. If you do manage to change orgmaker to make it work with newsounds, it won't make a difference on Cave Story itself or even just make the game crash.

I'll explain how. First, you need to download Ctone.exe 'cause it comes with a program that lets you change the sound effects in cave story and instructions how. So make a copy of your exe just in case, use the pucsher program and you choose the folder to put all the sounds in. Then use Ctone.exe or Pixtone.exe to change the drums sounds.

ID96- Bass01
ID97- Snare 01
ID98- HiClose
ID99- HiOpen
ID9A- Tom01
ID9B- Per01

If you edit those sounds, and then add them to the exe, in theory, you can change the sound that the drums make. This won't change orgmaker, just the exe, which is what you want really.
Tell me if you have any problems.

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Safusaka said:

Uncy Dave said:
But you're going about it the wrong way. If you do manage to change orgmaker to make it work with newsounds, it won't make a difference on Cave Story itself or even just make the game crash.

He's already put the custom percussion into the executable as far as I can tell, he just wants to put them in orgmaker now so that his composing sounds right (since using drums that aren't the drums used in the executable can lead to some composing mishaps).

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:05 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Oh Okay.
Well I dunno if it works but you might be able to change the sounds with resource hacker but I'm not certain...I've got no idea how to change the melody sounds though