Cave Story - THE STORY

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:12 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This is a game where you can play Cave Story - through talking.

The idea of this game rather than just playing regular Cave Story would be that it would be interesting to look back on your progress and see the choices you made, and also to possibly add some more interesting things (such as additional descriptions of the area you are in).

In my opinion, it would be best if you have played Cave Story before this or have a general idea of how the story goes and what maps have what.

Main Rules:

Basics:
You’ll start by “pressing” New Game and you’ll enter the start point. To move around, just say where you want to go. Some places might be harder to go through, and sometimes you might die just by chance (however, you probably won’t do something like drown in the start point by chance…)

Fighting regular enemies might be a little odd, but it’ll mainly be saying which weapon you want to use (that you have available), and how you’re going to attack.

Boss fights will be similar to enemy fights, but it will require strategy to win the fight. Some things you could say would be like “Jump towards the right fan and try to get over on the other side of Balfrog”.

Again, you may not do everything perfectly even if your strategy is a good strategy.

Health should be kept track of throughout the game, and so will weapon level (maybe it can be put in a spoiler and also include your inventory in each post).

SAVE POINTS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO CONTINUE YOUR PROGRESS BETWEEN POSTS, but… if you die somehow or get “never seen again” etc, then you will have to start at your last save.

Movements and Actions:
Most actions really shouldn't be that complicated. Each post should be limited to do a certain amount of things. For example, you shouldn't be saying "Exit the start point, go out to the first cave jump over all the spikes and get the life capsule".
I'm not sure if this game would take as long as regular cave story (it may go faster if there are more people that are able to respond in case you send a message at 3:00 am or something), but it shouldn't be completed in 20 posts either.

My idea is that an example of a regular action would be something like "Exit Curly's house, and start walking to the right."
If this ends up taking to long things will be adjusted, but that's just what I had pictured.

The response people will worry about balancing the game and making sure it's not too easy (or insanely hard).
There isn't a need to make yourself get killed in a boss fight because the response people should do that for you (if they feel it is right).

Weapons
Weapons will be kept track of in your inventory. You can switch at (almost) any time.
In the inventory it will show the level of the weapon, and also a percentage. This percentage shows how close it is to the next level (needs to reach 100% for the next level).

RESPONSE PEOPLE!
These are the people that can respond to your post to say what happens. If you want to be one of these people, ask me and make sure you know the basics of cave story.
I won't have anything like 100 response people at a time because there is no need for that many, so I might say no if there is a ton of response people already.
Walrus_Guy (me)

Beating the game????
A lot of the beating game rules are under leaderboard and achievements. Some stuff will be included here though...
Once you finish, you can always start from that last save if you had a lot of fun doing a boss fight (or you want to try to get a good time if you get the best ending.... still working that part out).
If you want to look back on all your progress in one big message, I can combine all the messages for you and then you can look through it and be like "hey, I remember when I used my new fireball weapon to destroy that critter in Grasstown! Seems like so long ago... pretty cool!"

More ideas are welcome for any new leaderboard things or achievements.

Leader board
Things like "Most endings" cannot be repeated constantly by restarting your save (so you can only get one per "New Game").
And if you get the fly away with kazuma ending, restart, and then continue on to get the best ending it will count towards achievements, but you will only get the kazuma ending towards the leaderboard.
I may make it so you can choose which ending you want to use that game for later but I just want to try to keep things not super duper complicated for now.

First person to get an ending:
First person to get the worst ending:
First person to get the “regular ending”:
First person to get the BEST ENDING :heart::
First person to have to retry (from a death): CyberSoup
First person to get the Spur:
Most endings:
Most BEST ENDINGS:
Achievements

When getting an achievement, there will be a message in the area right after you did what caused you to get it saying "ACHIEVEMENT GOT: (whatever the name is)."
Of course this might give away some of the "secret" achievements, but hopefully they can stay secret for a little while (and that pretty much happens with all secret achievements in games too).
Achievements are unlocked by doing something in the game, whether it be something that you know what to do (example: beat the doctor), or it could be something that you might have to hunt for (example: look in a pot in the mimiga village). Achievements can be beat by anyone and multiple names can be on there. New ideas for new achievements are always welcome.

Oh, and if you get the achievement, even if you die you will still have the achievement.

Let the island crash:
Beat the game with any ending:
Beat the one and only… Ballos:
Squashed:
CRUSHED:
REALLY REALLY CRUSHED:
Waste of Energy:
Rude:
A big problem…:
Why did you even get these?:
Swap:
BOOM BOOM BOOM:
I can't see:
Space exploration:
The Ultimate Weapon:
TAXI:
Train Ride
Private Jet:
Lost:
Fishy Situation:
A new... weapon?:
Very very bad:
So close:
Fungus:
Beat the Evil Doctor:

I've kind of decided to include some things that are descriptions of the place, but not write a full paragraph about how the first cave looks or anything, but you can read the spoiler for the previous information I had.
Any other ideas for how to make the game more interesting are welcome, and if anyone wants to be one of those people who would respond to the persons actions then ask, but most of you would probably do a good (if not better) job. (I think there's a way to start private conversations so use that if you want to tell me unless you are ok here)

I’m not 100% sure if it would be better if I tried to make things more interesting by adding extra descriptive text information (like the waterway might say something about the sound of rushing water...), or would it be better if I just kept things simply as “entered the waterway”, or it could even be a mix.

I’m also not sure if it would be best if I referred to the game something like

“ENTERED WATERWAY:

Walked to the left”

Or

“You entered the waterway and walked to your left.”

Or

“Quote entered the waterway and walked to his left.”
I guess this could take some working out to find what feels the best. I might stick with the second one for now unless I or someone else feels it seems strange or there is a better way.

ALSO NEW:
I've recently learned how to add little clips of gameplay so I might try to add some which I hope would make the game look more interesting instead of just all text.
I won't do it for every post, nor for every new thing, but some interesting events will likely have them (for example, defeating a big boss).

Also Newwwwww:
I'm trying to find a good way to easily jump to your last post so you can figure out where you left off.
I'd have to update it a lot but I might try and make some sort of "lobby" thing here where you can find your name and click and go

Anyways, if there is anything else that can help make this game more fun then please share.

Hopefully this turns out to be enjoyable!
if this ends up being a bad idea then :(:(:( because i could have worked on another cave story mod but hopefully this wont be a bad idea
also if you cant read this because i thought some people said their computers wont read certain font sizes then sorry....
also if the title of this thread is bad tell me too
oh and if someone else feels like they want to take over the idea but make their own changes or have a whole kind of new spin that they own themselves so they can be a one person host or make any rules then you can make a new thread if you want but if you do get the idea from me then maybe put something like idea from walrus guy in small letters at the bottom or something
if this ever does eventually lose popularity then i hope it was fun while it lasted. I hope while it lasted was longer than 5 minutes more like a few days at least but yay
Also i think this is where this belongs in the forum? I know satellite lounge says discuss anything not related to games and this is related to games but i feel like this would best be in forum based games because its a forum based game i think?

:D:chin::balrog::critter:

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 10:48 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Is each person playing a different game or are we all in the same one? Also I guess I can start.

hit new game, fall into save point water, drown.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:53 PM
Is each person playing a different game or are we all in the same one? Also I guess I can start.

hit new game, fall into save point water, drown.
different games

You have drowned. Do you want to retry?
why.......

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:15 AM
Soup Man
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:39 AM
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:50 AM
Soup Man
"...If I have to, though,
I really will..."

Entered Start Point
go into door to first cvae

(also that line shouldnt appear because theres a skipflag in startpoint so if you die and retry, kazuma wont attack you with his words)

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:18 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hit New Game, interact with save disk

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:40 AM
Hit New Game, interact with save disk
Entered Start Point
Game Saved.
Health 3/3
No item.
No item.

go into door to first cvae

(also that line shouldnt appear because theres a skipflag in startpoint so if you die and retry, kazuma wont attack you with his words)
(oops... i just wanted to mention it because i didnt get to before)
Entered First Cave

(now here's the question: would you rather I add something like
"You hear the sounds of bats around. The cave is dark but you can still easily find your way through."
or just leave it as is. (and for that description thing, i can refer to you as you, quote, or just statements about the area.)
just trying to think what would make it the most fun)

Health 3/3

No item.
No item.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:30 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This should be fun...
Also I know you weren't asking me, but I'd still like a bit of description, and to be referred to as Quote.

Hit New Game

Enter door to First Cave

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:40 AM
Soup Man
Entered Start Point
Game Saved.
Health 3/3
No item.
No item.

(oops... i just wanted to mention it because i didnt get to before)
Entered First Cave

(now here's the question: would you rather I add something like
"You hear the sounds of bats around. The cave is dark but you can still easily find your way through."
or just leave it as is. (and for that description thing, i can refer to you as you, quote, or just statements about the area.)
just trying to think what would make it the most fun)

Health 3/3

No item.
No item.
I jump on a bat thinking im mario and take 1 damage, then collect the life capsule.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:41 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Head over to the door in the start point, enter first cave

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:53 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Start new game, *wonders what engine this Cave Story was ported to*

Investigate start map shape. Doesn't this area look like something? To me it looks like a Tanuki. If so, I wonder what significance Pixel attributed to choosing this shape. Does it describe the main character perhaps?

*stand around in start point for a hour thinking about random things*

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:39 PM
(sorry everyone the forums were down for upgrades so i couldnt respond for a little while)

This should be fun...
Also I know you weren't asking me, but I'd still like a bit of description, and to be referred to as Quote.

Hit New Game

Enter door to First Cave

I really will..."
Entered Start Point
Entered First Cave
Quote enters a new area with possible threats. Find something for defense.

Health 3/3
No item.
No item.
[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I jump on a bat thinking im mario and take 1 damage, then collect the life capsule.

After avoiding the spikes, Quote got hit once by a bat.
Got Life Capsule! Max health increased by 3! :heart:

Health 5/6
No item.
No item.
[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Head over to the door in the start point, enter first cave
Entered First Cave.

Health 3/3
No item.
No item.
[/QUOTE]

Start new game, *wonders what engine this Cave Story was ported to*

Investigate start map shape. Doesn't this area look like something? To me it looks like a Tanuki. If so, I wonder what significance Pixel attributed to choosing this shape. Does it describe the main character perhaps?

*stand around in start point for a hour thinking about random things*

I really will..."
Entered Start Point
AIR 90.... you better move...

Health 3/3
No item.
No item.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:04 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Walk to left
Jump over spikes and bats
Get the Life Capsule

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
Start New Game
Investigate Start Point and jump to save disk
Save

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:18 PM
Walk to left
Jump over spikes and bats
Get the Life Capsule

After a close call on the spikes, Quote makes it to the life capsule.
Got life capsule! Max health increased by 3! :heart:
Health 6/6
No item.
No item.
[/QUOTE]

Start New Game
Investigate Start Point and jump to save disk
Save

I really will..."
Entered Start Point
Game Saved.

Health 3/3
No item.
No item.
[/QUOTE]

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:19 PM
lol
Exit first cave
begin walking to the left

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:22 PM
Exit first cave start point
begin walking to the left

Entered First Cave
Walking to the left, you see some red spikes on the ground and the ceiling of the cave.

Health 3/3
No item.
No item.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:23 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Wonder how life capsules work
Walk right until I get to pool

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:25 PM
lol