Cave Story 2?

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So, I read the interview between the people working on Cave Story 3D and Gamesradar (link, page 3) a couple days ago. Towards the end of the interview they asked Pixel if he was, or would, consider making a sequel to Cave Story, and he said that he is "now thinking that maybe it’s time to start thinking about a sequel for Cave Story". I was just wondering what you guys here thought of a sequel.

Personally, I don't really to see how a sequel would work out, since it would likely be very different from the original, due to most things in the game were resolved... Though, a prequel, however, I would find to be quite interesting for the past events mentioned, hinted at, and alluded to throughout the game.

So... What are your thoughts on a sequel or prequel to Cave Story?

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It may have been discussed.

The "Cave Story 2?" thread was pretty awful, but we did manage to get some discussion in edgewise. Basically, we're doubtful it will happen because of conflicting information from Pixel. Up until that interview, he said he would never do a sequel, and he said that afterwards too (though that might have been a translation error).

What's a fanboy to think?

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:14 AM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Pixel is just keeping everything open so if he ever feels like making one then he can... but I doubt he will. He is a busy man and gaming is just his hobby. I think a prequel would be more likely...

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'd probably be psyched since cave story is a good game deserving of a sequel.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:25 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
hey was playing cave story on ds and was thinking about what would happen in the sequel. maby radiation or something.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:45 AM
Oh look. Another Cave Story 2 thread.
I wonder how many times we'll have to go over why it won't be made.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:53 AM
inside is yello
"..."
turtwig752 said:
hey was playing cave story on ds and was thinking about what would happen in the sequel. maby radiation or something.

Look, I'm rather new here, and I know he means.

It won't happen. There, I've said my peace.

(Also, if this post is being quoted in a future where Cave Story 2 actually happened...) Hello future people! Can humans fly yet?

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:56 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Anyways, if there was a second "Cave Story" It would need to be a prequel as to allow all three endings to be canon.
Now, I wouldn't be against a prequel, but I do agree with Pixel's adage of "better left to the imagination". Plus we would have so many less awesome prequel mods.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:01 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Shimmyzmizz said:
Look, I'm rather new here, and I know he means.

It won't happen. There, I've said my peace.

(Also, if this post is being quoted in a future where Cave Story 2 actually happened...) Hello future people! Can humans fly yet?

Yep. We do it in things called Airplanes. Isn't it amazing?

But yeah, I am even newer. And I know what he means. Anyway, if you really want a sequal with radiation and stuff, you could dowload Sue's Workshop or CaveEditor, watch tutorial videos, and make a demo of a mod. If you can do that, then I will be interested. If you want to, you could also explain what you mean by 'radiation'. Frankly, there are a million different plots that could involve radiation. Which one do you mean?

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:06 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Keon said:
Yep. We do it in things called Airplanes. Isn't it amazing?

So you are saying that Cave Story 2 was announced? *checks Google* Then why isn't there anything for it? [/Sarcasm]

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:22 AM
In a desperate attempt to save myself, I will say: Cave Story; A Lost Land. (It is kinda Cave Story 2. Just not by Pixel) or Cave Story + (It includes new things.)

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:30 AM
Captain Fabulous said:
Oh look. Another Cave Story 2 thread.
I wonder how many times we'll have to go over why it won't be made.
This and this and this.

Mods represent cave story "sequels". I'd prefer that pixel didn't make a canon one because honestly, it wouldn't live up to expectations (and maybe it would hurt the modding community, as aqm inferred). I like that he invests his time in a wide variety of games, and I hope good things will come of that.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:31 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Exactly.

As fun as sequels are, I'd rather have a totally new game of equal caliber to Cave Story from Pixel.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:37 AM
I thought about posting something like that, but I couldn't find a way to say it. If Pixel created a game with the same amount of effort, now he could achive so much more. And he might not code it in Assembly.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:42 AM
Keon said:
And he might not code it in Assembly.
?
Cave Story is coded in C++.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:43 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Keon said:
I thought about posting something like that, but I couldn't find a way to say it. If Pixel created a game with the same amount of effort, now he could achive so much more. And he might not code it in Assembly.

Ooo. Misinformation.

Who told you that, the village idiot?:rolleyes:

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM
A man after mine own heart.
I agree completely.