Feb 17, 2007 at 3:34 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ragamuffin said:
is IrfanView freeware :confused:
i use all of them but IrfanView
plus icon suite here it is
it's freeware :D

Well I personally use IrfanView instead of Icon Suite (it converts such a huge number of images, even icons...), but it seems to be a good programme.

IrfanView is freeware!
The Website leads to this download site:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Does the NPC.tbl file have anything to do with it? If so, what do I open it with?

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:30 PM
Hoxtilicious
Furion001 said:
Does the NPC.tbl file have anything to do with it? If so, what do I open it with?

Hex Editor. Please post in the NPC Hacking thread next time :rolleyes:

May 26, 2007 at 12:31 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Stop putting the files on filespace.com S.P. Gardebiter/ShInNinG PhANtoM(or something).
The links are broken >.<

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:33 AM
Hoxtilicious
Shadoware said:
Stop putting the files on filespace.com S.P. Gardebiter/ShInNinG PhANtoM(or something).
The links are broken >.<

Its ShInInG PhAnToM. :( I have my reasons why I deleted them, it has nothing to do with filespace.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:30 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Okay I am new to this using Sue's Workshop and other things like this will someone please make a sticky that explains effectively how to do basic hacks and mods, or create new games intirely. Once agian I would like to say that I am new to this type of programming language, I am only used DOS based languages. Thats right DOS, I can program in QBASIC, and PASCAL to a good extent. This post is called a beginner's guide but I, being a beginner, have learned nothing from this except a list of things to download.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:13 AM
Hoxtilicious
Do some forum search, you can't explain "hacking" in full, you need to learn that by yourself, anyhow it's only a scripting language not a programming language.

Aug 2, 2007 at 5:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
the tsc is gone i cant download it

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:38 AM
Pure2range
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
How do you add a piece of land in Sue's Work Shop?

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:07 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This is probably a stupid question, but oh well.

How do you edit tilesets using a graphics editor (paint)? Sue's doesn't do it, and I can't figure it out on resource hacker.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:12 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Atravir said:
This is probably a stupid question, but oh well.

How do you edit tilesets using a graphics editor (paint)? Sue's doesn't do it, and I can't figure it out on resource hacker.
Haven't you ever made your own character?
You open it in paint. Then save it as a .pbm when finished.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:21 AM
Guy with Sword
Pbm! Ok, I was trying to open the pxa, pxa, and tcm files. Oops. :D

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:51 AM
Guy with Sword
Accursed machine! And no, I've never hacked Cave story before.

I got the character pbm, and replaced it with MyChar.pbm in the data file. I tried to play the game, and all I got was a error message in Japanese.

*beats head against desk

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:38 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Atravir said:
Accursed machine! And no, I've never hacked Cave story before.

I got the character pbm, and replaced it with MyChar.pbm in the data file. I tried to play the game, and all I got was a error message in Japanese.

*beats head against desk

This will probably solve your problem (the second half is relevant):
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/15463/

If that doesn't work recreate the file (make a new bmp, rename it) and copy-paste the faulty image to it. Make sure it has the right file name.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:58 AM
kazuma
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Okay, I know this is a shameless bump and you've probably been asked this a million times, but I'm near ready to explode and decided I'd have to swallow my pride and ask for assistance.

I've been hacking Cave Story for a little over a week now. Yes, before anyone asks, I understand how most of the tools work, I've read all of the instruction manuals and hexing tutorials I can find, and I'd say that I'm pretty experienced with how to navigate and edit using Sue's Workshop, TSC, and the like. What I can't figure out, however, is why I can't get my own custom sprites into the game. I figured I'd post here because I'm unsure of what to search for and really, I'm not exactly in the know of what I'm doing wrong (whether it be a problem with .BMP/.PMBs, number of colors, or something a simple as the CPixel thing).

I'm kindly and humbly requesting that someone semi-knowledgeable on the subject would post a DETAILED response on how to add a customized or otherwise edited sprite into the game, with instructions from beginning to end (sorry, but I've found some of the other NPC hacking topics to be rather vague). What I want to do at the time of this current post isn't even that big of a deal, I'm just trying to edit Kazuma's sprites (more specifically change his hair, jacket, and pants color); however, it's taking a lot out of me and I've gotten terribly frustrated with the whole ordeal. So I reiterate, if someone out there could give me some clear instructions on how to do this task from start to finish (screencaps would be helpful!) I would be GREATLY in debt to them. If I see another error message upon starting the game I think I might do something impulsive. :D

Thanks, and once again I apologize.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:29 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Ehh I can't seem to save my edited .pbm files back to .pbm after editing it with paint.

Also, some help here please? I don't understand how .pdm files work. They seem to be a bunch of pictures on a black screen. Can someone please explain to me how they work pls? pleaseee.... ><

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:42 PM
Hoxtilicious