k so..

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:45 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
this will be anoying but iv chacked every topic on rom hacking and editing
and mods
and the tribute site forums and not on tihng makes al ick of sence to me
probably cuz im 13
any way can some one please tell me a full step by step guide to changeing the sprites of the game cuz im srsly getting P.O'd cuz nothing here makes any sence
any help?

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:20 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The procedure is not very difficult.

Inside the Cave Story folder, which contains the game, configuration options, Profile.dat and so on, there is a folder called 'Data'. In this folder and subfolders, you can find files with a .pbm extension. These can be opened using Paint, you may need to select it from the progam list. Once you have opened the files with Paint, you can modify them as you please, as long as you save them with the same name, and as a .pbm file.

The next step is a little more complicated. Pixel added a procedure to ensure that no-one stole his work. The best way to solve this is to open Doukutsu.exe with a hex editor. The one I use is called XVI32, you will need to google it and download it. Open Doukutsu.exe with the hex editor, and use the search function to find the string: (C)Pixel

Replace each character of (C)Pixel with 00. This will enable Doukutsu.exe's ability to accept your custom .pbm files. That's all there is to it.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:49 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
tommy631 said:
this will be anoying but iv chacked every topic on rom hacking and editing
and mods
and the tribute site forums and not on tihng makes al ick of sence to me
probably cuz im 13
any way can some one please tell me a full step by step guide to changeing the sprites of the game cuz im srsly getting P.O'd cuz nothing here makes any sence
any help?

No offense, but you should problary get more skills at the computer and such...
Because you need really advanced skills if you want to understand anything here and umm... I dont get whats so hard, maybe you should learn about hexadecimal and binary first too... :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
thanks softmints
this really helped