YET ANOTHER Music Contest

Which ORG was your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 4, 2015 at 6:57 PM
"Huzzah!"
I won't be able to get in my second entry. Computer is being serviced right now, and the entry isn't close enough to completion. Sorry if I disapointed anyone.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:35 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Okay last entry, since it's the lastish day to post stuff. I actually completed this before my other two submissions, but again, at the time, I misread the OP and thought that the point of this competition was to make an ORG "inspired" by an already existing Cave Story track. Seeing how that's not the case, I will enter it as my final entry. I'm actually planning to use this in my own game so -_-

Strong Heart Weak Mind

I'm going to have to say "no" because if I let you it's a high chance you'll be half of the options available for voting, and that's unfair.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I won't be able to get in my second entry. Computer is being serviced right now, and the entry isn't close enough to completion. Sorry if I disapointed anyone.
Aww ;( That's disappointing, it was something that I would have seriously considered voting for.
The deadline is by the end of November 5th. Voting will start the next day.
Just to clarify, this means that I would have all day tomorrow to submit my entry, correct?

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:50 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'd be down for having all day tomorrow. There's the off chance that my computer will be returned today, which means at minimum I'll have all tomorrow afternoon to bust out that second entry last minute

*EDIT*, after reading Jaw's post

Yeah, I don't see why not. Not more than three though.

I say let storykeeper's third entry be, quantity is a totally viable method for competition victory.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2015 at 11:19 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I say let storykeeper's third entry be, quantity is a totally viable method for competition victory.
I'm also fine with letting RSK have 3 entries. It's a bit late to go back on the rules after you explicitly said people were allowed 3 max without any other restrictions.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:16 AM
Huh. Can I replace one of my entries with it then?
Eh...

Aww ;( That's disappointing, it was something that I would have seriously considered voting for.

Just to clarify, this means that I would have all day tomorrow to submit my entry, correct?

Yeah, I'll probably post the poll Friday after school.

I'm also fine with letting RSK have 3 entries. It's a bit late to go back on the rules after you explicitly said people were allowed 3 max without any other restrictions.
Alright then.

Three entries though?

p209215-0-imagesqtbnand9gctpiqsrv0pocnxt4vczlrdk2xd9yedmzplkysacwqnkj6ulhcks.png
Don't you have anything better to do?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 6:18 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Nov 5, 2015 at 6:45 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Isn't that like, unfair to those who only submit one ORG?
Might as well speak my mind about multiple entries too. I find it is slightly unfair, but that's not really my main point of concern. I would much prefer to restrict future(?) contests to one entry, mostly because you should feel confident in the one you submit. I totally advocate being able to modify an existing submission, or heck, even making a new one to replace the first entry because you don't think it lived up to its full potential. I mean, if you're submitting more than one, doesn't that mean that you're not totally confident that your first entry is the best you could possibly make it at your skill level? I guess I find it to be a quantity over quality sort of situation. And that's not to say that the people with multiple entries have made bad songs (like with RSK, and Jp if he decides to submit his second song). However, another point is that I feel it would be more in the spirit of the contest to have one song that represents a person's style. Because if I'm listening to multiple ORGs submitted by the same person, chances are I'd have heard their style before (which is definitely apparent with RSK and Safusaka).

But uhh, rant aside, it doesn't really concern me all that much if multiple entries are allowed. It's just my only gripe with these contests so I feel like I should at least say something.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:02 PM
"Huzzah!"
Perhaps we should only be allowed the amount of votes equivalent to the maximum number of songs one person can submit? That way voters don't have to be restricted to choosing one person just because they have a butt-load of entries, they can also spread their votes to other people they like who've only submitted one song, and if they really like the person with the most entries, they can just pool all of their votes into each of the songs that person submitted.

In the case of this contest, we'd each get three votes to distribute.

*EDIT* And while I'm here, more thoughts on recent entries:

Breeze Bastion I quite like, a lot actually! It's really catchy and up beat, and the lead is the most memorable out of the bunch of songs that have been submitted so far.

Noctural Promenade is good too, it sounds just the way the name implies (which is good,) and I think the song is very kero-blasteresque. The latter of the two entries, SHWM, is also very interesting. It's more tense, but not heart-pounding.

Newfound Energy (Ygrene dnuofwen) is very Megaman-x-y. It sounds like a song that you'd hear in a high tech city (which would be a very interesting locale to explore in a cave story game.) The very first notes of the song remind me of...

...Rick & Morty?!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015 at 8:39 PM
Might as well speak my mind about multiple entries too. I find it is slightly unfair, but that's not really my main point of concern. I would much prefer to restrict future(?) contests to one entry, mostly because you should feel confident in the one you submit. I totally advocate being able to modify an existing submission, or heck, even making a new one to replace the first entry because you don't think it lived up to its full potential. I mean, if you're submitting more than one, doesn't that mean that you're not totally confident that your first entry is the best you could possibly make it at your skill level? I guess I find it to be a quantity over quality sort of situation. And that's not to say that the people with multiple entries have made bad songs (like with RSK, and Jp if he decides to submit his second song). However, another point is that I feel it would be more in the spirit of the contest to have one song that represents a person's style. Because if I'm listening to multiple ORGs submitted by the same person, chances are I'd have heard their style before (which is definitely apparent with RSK and Safusaka).

But uhh, rant aside, it doesn't really concern me all that much if multiple entries are allowed. It's just my only gripe with these contests so I feel like I should at least say something.

:hoppy:

In the past people have made arguments for allowing multiple entries to keep up "diversity", including you (I'm fairly certain) and now everyone changed their minds.

Okay then. For future reference, but for now I'll just leave it at those three. They sound pretty similar to me at least, so I don't think it's that big of a deal as of now.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
In the past people have made arguments for allowing multiple entries to keep up "diversity", including you (I'm fairly certain) and now everyone changed their minds.
Oh, have I? I'd really hate to seem like a hypocrite, so if you remember where I said that I would really appreciate it.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:34 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Nov 6, 2015 at 11:03 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
So... is there going to be a video for this one too? I honestly prefer listening to all of them in a row with YouTube.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:39 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Okay it's ready. I had a few issues raised with the audio quality from the last video, so I just recorded the audio solely with some random screenshots for accompaniment. Also I randomised the entries so yeah.

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:07 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I like all the entries this round; I think the gap in quality of submissions is a lot smaller than it has been for previous competitions.

In terms of votes, I'd have to say my first choice would most definitely go to "Ethereal Mind". It stands out for me the most, being unique in sound and having just the right blend of instruments. I love the rhythms and the long fade in of tracks 1 and 2.

I'd kind of lump the other three, "Breeze Bastion", "Pizza Grease" and "Ygrene dnuofwen", in the same grey area; maybe the first two are slightly more tuned to my preference.

I'll start with "Ygrene dnuofwen". I like the energy, especially that opening. My only major quip with it is that the lead is way too drowned out by its accompaniment. I think of a lot of that could be rectified simply by changing track 7's instrument, since I'm finding wave 66 to be a resonant instrument, but not pronounced for this piece. Additionally, I feel like the HiClose for the main loop should be on the same range, because the panning already changes quite a bit. I noticed upon multiple listens that the lower HiClose tends to not come out as strongly as the higher note, so it keeps playing on the offbeat and it gets conspicuous, not really in a good way.

"Pizza Grease" is very Kero Blaster to me (from what I've heard in the trailer anyways). It's probably the most well composed, with good balancing. It's kind of uniform throughout and doesn't really have sections that "stand out" to me like the other two I've mentioned have.

"Breeze Bastion" makes me think of an island theme for some reason. I think it starts out really strong, with some great opening chords. The different ideas are awesome, but the transitions are kind of rough for me. And towards the end it starts to have the same problem as "Ygrene dnuofwen" where the lead totally gets lost in the syncopated chords. However, the bass is also really prominent near the end, and I quite like it, so I'm almost willing to forgive that.

I don't know; I'm really not sure who exactly I'll vote for yet.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:59 PM
"Huzzah!"
I can use these in a mod if I wanted to, right guys?

Because these entries sound really good.

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:36 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I can use these in a mod if I wanted to, right guys?

Because these entries sound really good.
You're welcome to use mine if you want to.