Yeah can we have the automerger back

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Losing the automerger is useful to only a very, very small minority (GIR and GIR alone AFAIK (and even then as a mod he still needs to help clean up double posts soooo))
Having the automerger is useful to so many people
Why remove it in the first place?

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Professional Whatever
What would be interesting is an option shown when creating a post (unchecked by default) to create a separate post, and if it's not checked then merging happens.

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

I liked the merger... made threads more organized.

GIVE US THE CAT METER BACK <---- Statement is a joke. Please don't take that statement seriously

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:28 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This sounds like it could be very useful. I agree with everybody else. You can't post new information and have others know it's there if you have to double post. I politely ask for the merger to come back, with the new features mentioned above.
We need the cat meter. Please?

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Doors said:
What would be interesting is an option shown when creating a post (unchecked by default) to create a separate post, and if it's not checked then merging happens.
If practical, I favor this.

If not, then Dunc's idea FTW.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
This was discussed by the admins/mods (in brief) before the full removal, so I'll post some quotes from that thread so you can get some more insight on the decision:

DoubleThink said:
TBH I've never been a fan of the auto-merge anyway, it creates more bother than it removes.
I'm not sure where this sentiment comes from, could you elaborate on that
Because in exchange for removing the occasional real double post infringement (and really, how many of these have there been?), it means the complete loss of any control over 'update'-style posting. I've had multiple posts turn into godawful multi-layered monstrosities that are stuck that way until another person says something. GIR has had to resort to multiple account magic to do something otherwise relatively simple. Not to mention the way IP Board does it shoves the new post content right up next to the old one and won't even accept newlines before the text starts, meaning it then needs to be manually edited anyway in order to differentiate between them for any sort of clarity. I wasn't expecting andy to immediately go and turn it off, but I'm not complaining. I'm happy to do any extra busywork that would arise from this if you don't want to :v
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I'm also in favor of the removal of the auto-merge. I think it might help us weed out some of the new spammier members faster, since they could actually accumulate warning points from double posting. If people can't be bothered to make the effort to not double-post, then maybe their posting quality wasn't all that great to begin with (there's a reason it's against the rules).
It was also removed in part due to this post:
Polaris said:
Anyway, I've a question or two to ask. If someone else wanted to start an LP here, would it be appropriate to make a mock account for the purposes of multiple posting, like LDLP? Also, what exactly is the image/post limit? For some reason I had it in my head that it was 32 images or so, and your latest update has close to 100 - a token of how unobservant I am, I suppose.
And since we don't really want people to have to make multiple accounts to make threads with updates without breaking the image-per-post limit, andwhy decided to remove the automerger.

I like the idea of having it as a toggleable option/checkbox, with it being enabled by default, but I don't know how feasible it is to actually implement that (we'll have to wait for andwhy's opinion on that).

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
This was discussed by the admins/mods (in brief) after the full removal,
FTFY

*I* think the best compromise would be to have it auto-merge anything double-posted within a certain grace period - say, 24 hours, or maybe even 48. That way quick followup edits can be merged together for tidiness and genuine bumps/updates can be given separate posts.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
This was discussed by the admins/mods (in brief) after the full removal,
FTFY
It was also discussed before the full removal, although I suppose the quotes I posted from the thread were from after the removal (since the discussion was, well, brief, up to that point).

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Whoops, sorry Dunc. Didn't mean to be the harbinger of the postpocalypse. ^_^;

I think either of the two compromises mentioned would do just fine. Let's see what Andwhy says about it, then. :)

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:29 AM
Based Member
I as well am in favor of something along the lines of what Doors proposed, so that unnecessary double-posting will still be automatically dealt with, but still possible if you know what you're doing. If this isn't feasible, then I'd be more than happy to settle for there being a grace period during which your post will get merged if you try to post again. In fact, the reason I originally supported the post merger was because I was under them impression that this was going to be the case. My support changed to lukewarm when andwhy announced that it merged posts over an infinite time period, since this stifled some legitimate cases.

I understand why andwhy re-enabled double-posting, but completely removing the auto-merger is the wrong move in my opinion.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I only got one side of the argument until I actually changed it, can you really blame me.

I've turned it back on with a 48 hour (2880 minutes) post merging period.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Alright, then!
Thank you very much :mahin:

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Forever 12
The auto merger is back on?
YAY

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:05 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
bless you andwhyisit

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Professional Whatever
Well, that was easy.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM
2dbro
Finally, it's back. Now I don't have to worry every time if I make a post it'll double-post!

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
can't you just do that yourself?

I'm pretty sure you can

like I just did