WTF story demo v 0.504

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:42 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
My God, this mod is just so fucking epic. You are a legend, GIRakaCHEEZER.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:50 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
And damn, if I have to get unclassy there will be hell to pay.
hooheehooha.
ah, funny.

well, I concede your point, I also think this'll be epic, have fun workin on it.
cya giraka

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:46 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Figure I might make a blog, similar to the one Noxid made. Seems like a good idea.

http://wtfstory.wordpress.com/

This blog will give progress reports at least once a week, maybe more depending on how much gets done on the mod during the week. Also it will have more INSIDER INFORMATION (it's odd I'm using that term, but I guess I can call myself an insider on the developement of wtf-story :rolleyes:) on what's to come in the mod.

And it'll still be awhile (maybe a month) before v 0.4 is released, especially if I decide to release WTF-easy alongside with it.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:40 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It will have that new kickass main theme now right?

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:41 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Vercci said:
It will have that new kickass main theme now right?

Well yes, otherwise the theme wouldn't be called "WTF" :D.

And I might add in some more original music too, nothing too much though.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:53 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Re: WTF story demo v 0.3

Pipe Dreams makes me very frustrated.
First area was less infuriating than the next one; I'm still stuck there.
Only 1 health seems like too little for this place, but if it's supposed to amp up the difficulty, I understand.
That's my only complaint with this so far. It's a cool hack.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Cyowolf1122 said:
There are hidden health upgrades in there, just look in suspicious areas.

Tsk tsk, everyone knows that the first 2 hp upgrades are near impossible to find, at least in v 0.3 (in previous versions it was impossible cuz they didn't exist). That's more or less something I'm trying to remedy in v 0.4.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM
Hax on....Hax off....

I found them...
I only found the 3rd one the first time I played. Admittadely, I did have much more trouble finding the 1st and 2nd. If you do change them It'd be a bit annoying to have to find them again but that's okay I guess.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:28 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Uncy Dave said:
I found them...
I only found the 3rd one the first time I played. Admittadely, I did have much more trouble finding the 1st and 2nd. If you do change them It'd be a bit annoying to have to find them again but that's okay I guess.

Don't worry, I'm planning on changing them just so that they're easier to find. Oh and I need an idea for secret mission 4. Any ideas?

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:53 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"

Two words: invisible spikes
(they appear when you get close. Kind of like the blocks that appear once you hit their hit-box.)

That'd be pure evil.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Cyowolf1122 said:
Two words: invisible spikes
(they appear when you get close. Kind of like the blocks that appear once you hit their hit-box.)

That'd be pure evil.

That seems like a good idea. I'd make it an npc hack, since it'd be a simple one at that :D. Thanks for the help.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:20 AM
Hax on....Hax off....

Maybe what you should do is make a change from all the other ones and make this one more like a puzzle of some kind. This is just a suggestion, but in Illustrated, there was a puzzle with a crap-load of breakable blocks, most of which have wind tiles but others with spikes or ones that just lead you into a death trap and the like. Basically you have to break blocks about so that you can make a path to get to the next stage (Health upgrade in your case). If you break the wrong block, you'd most likely end up on a path that'll get you killed. This never got released of course But I think you should try it out cause it is a puzzle of trial and error.

Just change the tile set so that you have several different breakable blocks, each one with a different kind of tile next to it. I think it worked out pretty well when I tried it in my old mod.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

New banner has been made, everyone rejoice!

I'm lucky to have some artist-esque friends, let me tell you....

Also there should be an update posted on the blog by tomorrow morning (saturday). That's my time though, and right now my time is 9:42 pm.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Anti-Quote and Curly Brace? ...Could that be like opening and closing quotes "" and curly braces {}? I can see many delicious lame puns coming from that.

Also yay devblog! The progress you are making with the Portal gun sounds megawesome, absolutely nothing like that has ever really been done before. Chapter 4 is gonna RAWK.

I dunno if this has been asked or not but how many chapters are you intending there to be in total?

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:20 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

DoubleThink said:
Anti-Quote and Curly Brace? ...Could that be like opening and closing quotes "" and curly braces {}? I can see many delicious lame puns coming from that.

It's amazing how small little things like that keep falling into place without the intention of carrying hidden meaning. Another example of this is that B@lrog is officialy pronounced as "Battlerog", which suits his purposes in the mod.

DoubleThink said:
Also yay devblog! The progress you are making with the Portal gun sounds megawesome, absolutely nothing like that has ever really been done before. Chapter 4 is gonna RAWK.

I don't know where people are getting the idea that the portal gun will be released in chapter 4, since I did specifically say that it would wait until chapter 6.
That doesn't mean you won't use it in chapter 4 necessarily....
DoubleThink said:
I dunno if this has been asked or not but how many chapters are you intending there to be in total?

It might've been asked before, I can't remember. The plan has always been to have around 7-8 chapters. That means the next release marks the halfway point (whoot!).

[Edit]: Also the banner art is not made by me, I won't disclose a name or anything though until I get confirmation on how anonymous the artist wants to remain.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

I posted here last night and now it's gone. What is this I don't even.

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM
"Huzzah!"

Hmm... a bit late, but I finally gave this a try. It looks pretty darn cool, I must say, but there is no way in hell I'm ever going to be able to get past the first area. It is incredibly tedious and far too unforgiving for any amount of fun to be had. Bit of a shame, I'd say.

I guess I just don't understand everyone's fascination with making mods with god-awfully hard jumping segments that require pixel perfect precision and inhumanly timed releases.

Though I guess considering the name, maybe that's the whole point. :p

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
~

I just posted this on your blog, but I'd figure I'd copy and paste over here:

I made a Twitter account following the blog, it will update whenever the blog does. I made it because I have a hard time remembering to check back here, and a Twitter account that does that is just easier for me.

http://twitter.com/WTFStory is the account. I can either give the account to you or maintain it myself.

If you want to me to take care of it, then could you tell me a picture that you want resembling the account?

The picture should be 72x72 pixels, and should be still discernible at 48x48 pixels (this is the thumbnail that will be most seen by everyone).

I'm not sure you're familiar with Twitter at all :)

---

Also, please don't take away a hard mode, if you do end up making some parts easier :|

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:25 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Xaser said:
Hmm... a bit late, but I finally gave this a try. It looks pretty darn cool, I must say, but there is no way in hell I'm ever going to be able to get past the first area. It is incredibly tedious and far too unforgiving for any amount of fun to be had. Bit of a shame, I'd say.

I guess I just don't understand everyone's fascination with making mods with god-awfully hard jumping segments that require pixel perfect precision and inhumanly timed releases.

Though I guess considering the name, maybe that's the whole point. :p
The first area is very forgiving death-wise and isn't very hard at all once you figure out what to do. Took me about 15 30 minutes first time IIRC and I'm not even that good. What makes it challenging is that it requires changes in jump strength rather than just holding down the button, but it's not exactly pixel-perfect boostering a la Corridor. Maybe try and at least get past the first chapter before slamming the mod for being too hard.