Would it technically be possible to put every NPC on one sheet?

May 17, 2018 at 4:31 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Like, if you changed the framerects and had a good enough VRAM, could you have the game load the entire set of NPC sprites as one or two sheets, thus making all NPCs usable with one another?

May 17, 2018 at 4:47 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yes. That was actually planned for a CSMC project

May 17, 2018 at 5:21 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yes. That was actually planned for a CSMC project
Did it go well? And if it didn't, for what reason was the idea dropped?

May 17, 2018 at 6:26 AM
Thanks for the answer, just wanted to know. Also, what is this "chocolate edition" of Cave Story going to have in it for modders?

May 17, 2018 at 7:26 AM
War criminal
I'm not able to give answers for those, as I was not directly involved. I think either BLink, Enlight, or Thomas Xin could elaborate on why it was dropped, though

May 17, 2018 at 7:31 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ah dang, well alas; I'll ask 'em later. IIrc, it was something to expand the tsc of CS? But that memory's a little hazy, something about Sue's Story being worked on after CS Choco was completed?

May 17, 2018 at 9:27 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
So like, the "Chocolate" project hasn't really ever been in serious serious development, and it's been like over half a year since we talked about the spritesheet stuff (or the project itself), it was always more of a list of ideas and something we wanted to do, but other things took our attention and it never got underway.

But basically what it was: "Chocolate Cave Story" is a play-on-words to "Vanilla Cave Story", and was basically to be an alternate starting point when creating a mod. It wasn't an actual mod meant to be played, but rather just Cave Story but with tools and hacks put into it designed to remove some limits of modding.

Some examples of stuff we wanted to do:
- Increase the limits of the game engine. A higher NPC and Bullet limit. Bigger TSC space, etc. [This is the only thing that was actually done. We have an .exe that raises these limits (moves the RAM tables to a new segment) and nothing else]

- Some of the most widespread and useful patches all pre-applied, but patched in a way that follows with 2 very specific criteria:
1. It doesn't impede or replace vanilla, so nothing is lost by switching to chocolate.
2. Everything is compatible. Whether it be Clownacy's Modloader/TSC+/Equip+/InfiniteMimigaMask/Phy/N.I.C.E./BKG hack/if the transparency or directdraw stuff ever see the finish line/UniversalWeaponFunction/Whatever, chocolate would be an exe where everything was put together without conflicts

- Some useful stuff that works better as an exe rather than a series of patches, which is where one of the main things we wanted to do: Have all the entities on a single spreadsheet (or spread out but loaded at all times). We know HOW to do this, it would basically be writing a catch-all rendering function, and then replacing all the framerect data in all 360 entities (+Map Bosses) to use it, would be timely to fit it all on the sheets and test that it all renders correctly, but it would only have to be done once and then we have the .exe and .bmp to allow universal NPC usage.

- Looking at the oldass todo list I also see More Tile Types: (Water No Npc, Background Slopes, Foreground/Drawn currents, Spike Slopes (i.e. sloped lava)) was suggested.

- Modify BL to have the option to detect and allow all this.

So yeah, that's what we talked about 8ish months ago. Just sticking unobtrusive and optional stuff all into an exe without compatibility issues. We started a .bmp with all of the NPC sheets on it but then nobody wanted to work on it at the time and we forgot about it eventually. whoops.

May 17, 2018 at 10:05 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Wouldn't it be a bit harder for weaker systems to load one massive spritesheet anyway?

May 17, 2018 at 1:59 PM
Based Member
its possible but why.
1. To give new modders an easier starting point.
2. To show that it can be done.

May 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You can also put all your source code in one file. Much easier than all those messy "includes".

May 29, 2018 at 5:10 AM
On that note, has anyone ever tried expanding the exe like how you can do with SNES roms to get more space for ASM?