Worst part about Cave Story?

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:25 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
if your going for the spur then having your polar star (no matter what level) kinda sucks. it feel like you have 4 slots (2 if you only go for a minimalist run) imo
The Core was probably 100x harder because I held out for the spur.
Worth it.
Not being able to enter Last Cave (hidden) with the mimiga mask, without externally editing save files. (As far as I know, that is the only way to do it).
Really? That's the worst part about Cave Story for you?

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:55 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The Core was probably 100x harder because I held out for the spur.
Worth it.

Really? That's the worst part about Cave Story for you?
The only reason why the core was hard for me was the water, usually most of the time when I fight the core, I drown. And yes, I find the Undead core easier somehow.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The only reason why the core was hard for me was the water, usually most of the time I fight the core, I drown.
your giving me bad memories of fighting the core for the first time

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:13 PM
The only reason why the core was hard for me was the water, usually most of the time when I fight the core, I drown. And yes, I find the Undead core easier somehow.
Here are the ways I died in the Core fight:
  1. Drowning (Usually JUST before I can reach the surface of the water.)
  2. Those bullshit white ball things that make you lose 20hp.
Also, the reason you find the Undead Core easier is because you have the Spur.
PS. I tried B2 firsthand. And it is not good design.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Here are the ways I died in the Core fight:
  1. Drowning (Usually JUST before I can reach the surface of the water.)
  2. Those bullshit white ball things that make you lose 20hp.
Also, the reason you find the Undead Core easier is because you have the Spur.
PS. I tried B2 firsthand. And it is not good design.

I mean, You're not wrong about the spur thing.

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:01 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The second room of bloodstained sanctuary is complete bull RNG.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:01 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Here are more that i think are bad
1.Last cave [Hidden] [You have a higher chance to get hit by spikes here than Sacred Grounds/Blood Stained Sanctuary]
2. Sacred Grounds/Blood Stained Sanctuary - B2 [Isn't challenging is suppose to be fun, But B2 is not even fun, Even if i hate the Last cave, it was atleast kinda fun.]
3. Finding Jenka's Dogs [I just find it tedious]

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 11:32 PM
Here are more that i think are bad
1.Last cave [Hidden]
2. Blood Stained Sanctuary: B2
3. Finding Jenka's Dogs [I just find it tedious]
If you wanna beat B2, you should pray to the RNG gods.

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:35 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Also, you may need to practice Sacred Grounds - B3 multiple times for the case where you get out of B2 but you have low health. And so many of the pickups in B3 are so out of your way, get them if you only intend to get the third ending without speedrunning.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:32 AM
The fact nicalis keeps making these dumb reskins and worse versions of the soundtrack. The fact that pixel probably won't make a sequel is also quite infuriating.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:40 PM
The fact that pixel probably won't make a sequel is also quite infuriating.
Welp, there should be a CS2 mod that isn't a joke!

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:03 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The fact nicalis keeps making these dumb reskins and worse versions of the soundtrack. The fact that pixel probably won't make a sequel is also quite infuriating.
I prefer the Freeware, but TBH, the Remastered Soundtrack is really good.

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:19 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
worse versions of the soundtrack.
There's only one bad version and it's the Ridiculon soundtrack. 3DS, Famitracks, even the Wii soundtrack are more memorable and tolerable

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:34 PM
There's only one bad version and it's the Ridiculon soundtrack. 3DS, Famitracks, even the Wii soundtrack are more memorable and tolerable
Cave Story + Rock soundtrack = Shit.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:07 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:10 PM
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:47 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I feel like it's a bit unfair to call the Ridiculon soundtrack straight-up bad. I think its worst offense is being an unfitting soundtrack for a lot of situations. Many of the emotional or more simple songs tend to stick with the rock/metal theme, which can be offputting. Besides that, the actual songs are just fine. It hardly ever does anything different from the original soundtrack, which many people love; the only real difference is the instruments. I get why people may not enjoy it, but that's really more a matter of personal preference.

I think it's hard to make a claim that any of the soundtracks are objectively bad. Most are just the original soundtrack with different instrumentation, which is totally harmless. The only exception to this is the Wiiware/New soundtrack. Admittedly, I think you can easily make a claim that the instrumentation in that soundtrack is bad, but I feel that the songs themselves are a unique take on the original melodies, which I love. I'm super appreciative that Nicalis would go out of its way to continue including more and more soundtracks to supplement the ones we already have. Considering there are so many options now and it's entirely your choice as to which one you want to listen to, I think that's a huge positive point.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:14 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Worst part? Nicalis owns the distribution rights to it
Why did Pixel have to choose NiCALiS of all companies to have the rights to CS? I wish in an interview he would tell us.
Also, Early CS sucks (First Cave-Beginning of Labyrinth). The only good thing about it is Egg Corridor, due to having
the least amount of backtracking in the early parts of the game.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Why did Pixel have to choose NiCALiS of all companies to have the rights to CS? I wish in an interview he would tell us.
Also, Early CS sucks (First Cave-Beginning of Labyrinth). The only good thing about it is Egg Corridor, due to having
the least amount of backtracking in the early parts of the game.
I wouldn't say it sucks. It does on repeated playthroughs, but on your first playthrough Mimiga Village, the start of the Labyrinth, and First Cave are really good. First Cave has what I consider to be the only good backtracking in the game (since it's so short and the backtracking gives you a safe environment to practice using your gun in) and Mimiga Village gives some interesting story, even if the NPC talking and item hunting gets boring. And early Labyrinth has almost no backtracking, so I don't know why you dislike that.

Really, I think going back through Egg Corridor after finding Sue is the least justified backtracking in the game, since it's not even a fetch-quest. Pixel could have had Quote go back to Mimiga Village on his own and just have the Sue Gets Captured cutscene. Speaking of Egg Corridor, I feel the layout of that place is really boring. Sure, you have the Basil, which is a nice idea done pretty well, but it's literally a nearly flat 300 tile stretch with some enemies, some of which fly through even that basic terrain.

My actual "worst thing" that I don't think anybody else mentioned is unskippable cutscenes, especially ones right before bosses. They're boring on repeated playthroughs, and really annoying if you're not so good at the game and you die to the bosses.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM
I feel like it's a bit unfair to call the Ridiculon soundtrack straight-up bad. I think its worst offense is being an unfitting soundtrack for a lot of situations. Many of the emotional or more simple songs tend to stick with the rock/metal theme, which can be offputting. Besides that, the actual songs are just fine. It hardly ever does anything different from the original soundtrack, which many people love; the only real difference is the instruments. I get why people may not enjoy it, but that's really more a matter of personal preference.

I think it's hard to make a claim that any of the soundtracks are objectively bad. Most are just the original soundtrack with different instrumentation, which is totally harmless. The only exception to this is the Wiiware/New soundtrack. Admittedly, I think you can easily make a claim that the instrumentation in that soundtrack is bad, but I feel that the songs themselves are a unique take on the original melodies, which I love. I'm super appreciative that Nicalis would go out of its way to continue including more and more soundtracks to supplement the ones we already have. Considering there are so many options now and it's entirely your choice as to which one you want to listen to, I think that's a huge positive point.
I know this is a bit of a harsh review but here are my oppinions on the soundtracks:
  • Cave story plus: it is like nicalis forgot that the original soundtrack existed and tried to make an 8-bit version of the remastered soundtrack (I know this would have involved time travel but whatever)
  • Remastered: kinda like it but some tracks don't really fit the theme they fit for, I also find most tracks to be quite bland. It is like they took a painting and blended all the collors together if you know what I mean.
  • Ridiculon: exactly what I don't like about the sonic soundtrack: wanna be edgy tunes that don't fit the setting.
  • famitracks: Like someone made an 8-bit remix of the remastered soundtrack and ignored the fact that organya exists.
  • Organya: nice, the percussion in + is bad tough.
top three would be:
1. organya
2. remastered
3. Ridiculon ( at least I can play the game with it and not think of the organya soundtrack )