Worst part about Cave Story?

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:00 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Worst part? Well, the best ending where they fly away was pretty random to me... There wasn't a sense of tying up all the loose ends and instead flying away to find paradise?
What a curious choice... Kinda fun, but if not for the exhilaration buzz of beating Ballos for the first time, I think I would have been a little more disappointed.
Oh yeah, definitely this. That moment was really awkward and rushed, and didn't really make much sense to me either. It sort of made the "best" ending feel less desirable to me in some ways than the "normal" ending. It was also part of the reason that I put such an emphasis on Quote and Curly turning back and going home with the Sakamotos in my fourth ending mod.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:03 AM
War criminal
With all the Ballos stuff being forcefed into the path for the third ending, I can imagine the second ending being canon and the whole story for Ballos being saved for a potential sequel. The premise for killing him after destroying the demon crown already makes a logical path.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:10 AM
Based Member
Yeah, having a normal ending sequel that involves taking care of Ballos would be pretty interesting. In fact... I've had an idea for a storyline exactly like that in my head ever since 2012 that I've been developing more and more in my head over time. The title would be "Cave Story: The Sorcerer Ballos". At first I thought I'd make it into a mod, then I thought it would be more fitting to make it into a machinima. But at this point I dedicate very little time to Cave Story, so it's unlikely that I'll be bringing this idea to life any time soon.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:31 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
The plotholes, of course.

Like for example, how the fuck was Sue able to tell her mother about Quote, let alone learn about the password?

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:20 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Yeah, having a normal ending sequel that involves taking care of Ballos would be pretty interesting. In fact... I've had an idea for a storyline exactly like that in my head ever since 2012 that I've been developing more and more in my head over time. The title would be "Cave Story: The Sorcerer Ballos". At first I thought I'd make it into a mod, then I thought it would be more fitting to make it into a machinima. But at this point I dedicate very little time to Cave Story, so it's unlikely that I'll be bringing this idea to life any time soon.
I might pick that project up once I get good at CS modding.

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Worst thing about Cave Story?

The fact that the path to the good ending has very few hints, is often counterintuitive, and is generally nigh impossible to find without a walkthrough.

Never in a million years would I have figured out on my own that you could save Booster's life by ignoring him, and that (only if you jumped over Booster's pit) it was possible to save Curly Brace and not leave her in the Core room.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Like for example, how the fuck was Sue able to tell her mother about Quote, let alone learn about the password?
Then there's another one.

King apparently has never encountered the Doctor prior to their meeting in Sand Zone (due to him saying "You're that Doctor!"), despite the fact you have the Mimiga say that he shows up in the village and kidnaps (and at times, kills) said Mimiga.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 5:47 PM
War criminal
Then there's another one.

King apparently has never encountered the Doctor prior to their meeting in Sand Zone (due to him saying "You're that Doctor!"), despite the fact you have the Mimiga say that he shows up in the village and kidnaps (and at times, kills) said Mimiga.
I mean, Arthur was the one trying to defend Mimiga Village, King was probably busy trying to send everyone to safety until he saw him getting killed by the Doctor's hand. Everything must've gone in such a flash, what mattered more is that his friend was killed, and not the man who probably vanished after the satisfaction of killing one mimiga. He probably does know how he looks like, but his memory of him is just blurry, so I can see why he stated that when there's just a clear glimpse of him in the Storehouse

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Yeah, the only alternative I can think of is that somehow Kanpachi is in on Momorin's little resistance effort and has somehow been ferrying messages back and forth between her hideout and the Jail without getting caught...

That presumes a lot for a character who apparently just doesn't want to do anything but go fishing. But anything else is even more implausible; the shovel brigade is loyal to the doctor, Zett is too old, etc.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:17 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
"You're that Doctor!", doesn't imply that it's King's first meeting with the Doctor. For example, you meet someone once, don't know their name. Then you see them again after they caused you trouble.
"You're that meddling kid!!" If King had said, "Are you the Doctor? You're going to pay!" That might lend more credence to such a theory. It was also shouted across the storehouse.
Plus, one could question how easily the Mimiga can tell one human apart from another. Assuming they haven't been around humans much.

As for how was Sue able to tell her mother about Quote, let alone learn the password...
After you took off to Sand
Zone we sped up preparations
for securing an escape.<NOD<CLR
It was then that Misery
showed up.<NOD
Sue was taken away...<NOD
and Professor Booster, he
disappeared somewhere...

If you can escape from this prison
cell, look for the hideout hidden
in the plantation.<NOD<CLRIf my mother is yet safe,
she'll be there, coming up
with a counterplan.<NOD<CLRPlease. Help my mother.<NOD<CLRThe password is
"Litagano Motscoud".

So you're the hero Sue's
been talking about.<NOD<CLR
I'm glad...<NOD<CLR
I'm Momorin Sakamoto.<NOD
Sue's mother.
Well, Kazuma says Sue was captured by Misery. But, from what Sue's letter and Momorin imply... It seems like Sue may not have been jailed right away. Perhaps she was left to work on the farm, except she found or knew where Momorin was hiding. Except, Sue apparently didn't stay hidden. One theory why Misery didn't lock Sue up right away: well we already know Misery made a mistake the first time she found Toroko, and was punished for it. So, there's no way to know Misery realized who Sue was this time, at least until later. (Also, there's no way to know exactly how much time passed between Quote's dialogue about heading to the Sand Zone with everyone, to finding Sue locked up in prison.)

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:37 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
"You're that Doctor!", doesn't imply that it's King's first meeting with the Doctor. For example, you meet someone once, don't know their name. Then you see them again after they caused you trouble.
"You're that meddling kid!!" If King had said, "Are you the Doctor? You're going to pay!" That might lend more credence to such a theory. It was also shouted across the storehouse.
Plus, one could question how easily the Mimiga can tell one human apart from another. Assuming they haven't been around humans much.

As for how was Sue able to tell her mother about Quote, let alone learn the password...
After you took off to Sand
Zone we sped up preparations
for securing an escape.<NOD<CLR
It was then that Misery
showed up.<NOD
Sue was taken away...<NOD
and Professor Booster, he
disappeared somewhere...

If you can escape from this prison
cell, look for the hideout hidden
in the plantation.<NOD<CLRIf my mother is yet safe,
she'll be there, coming up
with a counterplan.<NOD<CLRPlease. Help my mother.<NOD<CLRThe password is
"Litagano Motscoud".

So you're the hero Sue's
been talking about.<NOD<CLR
I'm glad...<NOD<CLR
I'm Momorin Sakamoto.<NOD
Sue's mother.
Well, Kazuma says Sue was captured by Misery. But, from what Sue's letter and Momorin imply... It seems like Sue may not have been jailed right away. Perhaps she was left to work on the farm, except she found or knew where Momorin was hiding. Except, Sue apparently didn't stay hidden. One theory why Misery didn't lock Sue up right away: well we already know Misery made a mistake the first time she found Toroko, and was punished for it. So, there's no way to know Misery realized who Sue was this time, at least until later. (Also, there's no way to know exactly how much time passed between Quote's dialogue about heading to the Sand Zone with everyone, to finding Sue locked up in prison.)
Well, thanks for clearing that up lol.

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:14 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
getting the best ending it was torture for me from falling down to a pit that you have to ignore to level 1 drop caves it was a nightmare for me

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:34 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Monster X is probably one of the worse parts of the game for me, Yeah you can laugh at me, but those fish projectiles are just annoying.The gaudi's also make the boss worse, while fighting Monster X, you have to look out for those flying Gaudi projectiles. A level 2 blade would be the weapon of choice.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:32 PM
War criminal
Monster X is probably one of the worse parts of the game for me, Yeah you can laugh at me, but those fish projectiles are just annoying.The gaudi's also make the boss worse, while fighting Monster X, you have to look out for those flying Gaudi projectiles. A level 2 blade would be the weapon of choice.
Honestly, you're with most of us who have played Hard/3HP mode. The suckiest part is that if you can't take damage at all in the Labyrinth, meaning it's impossible to level down the blade.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:02 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Honestly, you're with most of us who have played Hard/3HP mode. The suckiest part is that if you can't take damage at all in the Labyrinth, meaning it's impossible to level down the blade.

You can try Leveling the blade up to Level 2 and avoid XP [Atleast its easier than avoiding XP with the nemesis] And yes, Monster X is still annoying in normal or just Freeware cave story.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:12 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
You can try Leveling the blade up to Level 2 and avoid XP [Atleast its easier than avoiding XP with the nemesis] And yes, Monster X is still annoying in normal or just Freeware cave story.
Atleast it isn't the Core.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:13 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Mar 22, 2019 at 6:47 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
if your going for the spur then having your polar star (no matter what level) kinda sucks. it feel like you have 4 slots (2 if you only go for a minimalist run) imo

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Not being able to enter Last Cave (hidden) with the mimiga mask, without externally editing save files. (As far as I know, that is the only way to do it).