Worse... or Better?

CS Wii: Worse or better than Cave Story?

• Total voters
Mar 30, 2010 at 1:05 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Thread title is a reference to the first Invader Zim episode.
As some of you may have noticed, Cave Story was recently released for WiiWare. I heard some people played it, and that didn't surprise me much. Most of all, I heard a LOT of people argue about it. So let's simplify this into cold, hard numbers: do you think Cave Stowii is better or worse than the original? Or is it on par? Or do you just not give a fudge brownie?

P.S. Fudge brownies are delicious.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:11 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
The graphics are better, the translation worse, new modes are good and bad at the same time, so it all balances out to an "equal" for me.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:19 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
equal.

the new graphics are godly, positive

there're a lot of bugs and issues at this time, one of which makes it so you literally cannot form any coherent opinion on the new music until it works right... a negative.

there are new modes which = more stuff to do, positive

the new modes really feel like they could have/should have been a lot more than they ended up being, negative

we finally get to see Quote's face icon, positive

we don't get to see anyone's face icon that we didn't already in the PC version, and on a similar note I feel a little gypped that we didn't get more 'things that should have been in the wii version' like beta songs or scrapped areas; negative

toroko's new face icon is the most adorablest thing ever in the world, positive

toroko still dies, negative

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:42 AM
I really don't care that much. Woulda gone with worse, but that's dumb for someone who hasn't played it yet.
Since when can we post polls?

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Personally I'd say it's a bit better, since the translation didn't bother me too much (exception being, oh gawd, "Oh yeaahhh!"), the new music sounds pretty awesome, even with it still being "bugged" (gestation still irks me though), and the new graphics were pretty swell.

To put it another way, "It's not stupid... it's advanced."

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM
I can't vote yet, since the music is still broken and I haven't completed the game. Right now I'd say "worse," because the only improvements are the graphics, a couple of songs and a handful of lines.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:38 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I reserve my final judgment for now in hopes that they fix things.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:05 AM
"Huzzah!"
Whenever, they fix the issues or not.

For me is equally amazing, because in the end, little change here, little change there, it's still the same game i love.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Worse for not playtesting. Seriously, almost every track is glitched; isn't it obvious? How do you miss that?
It doesn't ruin the game, but it ima quite annoying.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Listening to the wii midi of last cave, It's obvious drums are glitched.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:21 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I haven't played it, obviously (since I don't have a Wii and I haven't been able to get Dolphin to compile on my computer), but I saw a Youtube video, and I could see that the text was in dire need of proofreading; whoever wrote it doesn't seem to understand some basic rules of punctuation.

Graphics are better.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:25 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Weren't the punctuation mistakes in the Kazuma chat secquences? He leaves out periods and stuff, but he also says lol, so I think those, at least, were intentional.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:33 AM
Celtic Minstrel said:
I haven't played it, obviously (since I don't have a Wii and I haven't been able to get Dolphin to compile on my computer), but I saw a Youtube video, and I could see that the text was in dire need of proofreading; whoever wrote it doesn't seem to understand some basic rules of punctuation.

There is an almost complete lack of punctuation between Kazuma and Sue in the instant message sequences. This is to accentuate how people tend to talk on instant messengers and differentiate between IM speak and the character actually talking out loud.

There's absolutely no problems with the text otherwise in the game, be it punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, etc. I'm a huge grammar nazi and I've just played all the way through the game like 4 times in the last week, and have seen absolutely every possible line of dialogue in the game (unless there's something hidden that was slipped in somewhere) including every answer to every question, everything in every ending, everything in Curly mode, etc. and there's nothing wrong.
On this note, i remember someone was griping about how there was 'your/you're' type problems in the game... this is easily one of the things that irk me more than anything else in the whole universe and so I guarantee if there were anything like that I'd have picked up on it.. and there wasn't. I wonder if whoever that was that said that just has your/you're problems themselves... I think it was on gamefaqs, anyway.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:41 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Sorry, I don't remember exactly where the problems were. Maybe if you make a video I'll take a look. :p

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
OHHHYes there are, Curly mode, for example.
p98190-0-curlytypo.jpg

........................................................................................... Here^

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM
That should be an Internet meme.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Light blue eyes. Whatever...
Why is there a typo in an official translation, yet a translation made by some guy is free of them?

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:27 PM
thecrown said:
OHHHYes there are, Curly mode, for example.

ay ay ay, I need to play that mode again when I'm not dead tired `-'

aaaaaaaaHHHHHHHH HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THAT

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:48 PM
"Huzzah!"
Mr. Fist said:
Light blue eyes. Whatever...
Why is there a typo in an official translation, yet a translation made by some guy is free of them?

Everyone makes mistakes. (Btw, the fan translations have indeed some mistakes, like the password for the door at plantation.)
But some people are lucky to have all time of the world to check it again, others have rabid dogs almost eating them, screaming " I WANT IT NOES!".

It's still no excuse release such work commercially, even if it's a young company of developers. (hope that they fix it).
But I'm still find annoying, some overblown posts as if, one thing was God and another total trash.

EDIT: Other thing, Aeon Genesis's more than "just a guy", he deserves some respect :p.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:28 PM
Yes, AG also translated La-Mulana. And over 9000 other works of unreadable Japanese.
But it's not like they were strained for time. What WERE they doing for 3 years (iirc, it was three years since they announced it when CSW came out)?