[WIP] 3D Quote Model (Blender)

Jan 21, 2014 at 5:46 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I was inspired by the recent thread about a 3D printed Quote and felt like trying to make a model in Blender, in this case basing it directly off of this image:
Im8vzKq.jpg

I think I can complete the rest of the model to satisfaction, with time, although smoothing it may be tricky. However, I've never actually done an unwrap and made textures for something like this, so it will be a learning experience. Should be a lot of fun, though.
(I need to fix the way the hair sticks out from under the hat it's gonna be a pain. hehe)

V~ Screenshots! ~V
p178510-1-hxdxk3g.png

p178510-2-gcwkkmp.png

p178510-3-s37bwwv.png

p178510-4-hgz1huc.png

Jan 21, 2014 at 5:58 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This makes me now wonder if FrozenFire has ever completed that 3D Quote model for his project.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:05 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Welp I'm gonna call it a night and post my progress. Turns out the shape wasn't as hard to fix as I thought. :D

p178512-0-1vzixqd.png

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey glad that I inspired you.
Your model is shaping up really nicely :D
Who knows maybe when you finish it might be better than mine.
I'm also new to unwrapping, I'm using UVLayout v2 Pro as my method of unwrapping you should try it :)
(Yes, hair is tricky :p)

Jan 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Oh god I have to model the hands xD

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If hands are as hard to model than to draw, and you're not really experienced with modeling hands, I know how you feel.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:53 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
That head has tris on it. You should fix that as it makes it look MUCH better when smoothed. You've already got some artifacts as a result.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Connorses said:
I was inspired by the recent thread about a 3D printed Quote and felt like trying to make a model in Blender, in this case basing it directly off of this image:
Im8vzKq.jpg
Honestly, I hate that picture of Quote the most out of all pictures I find of Quote on the internet. His scarf looks like a backwards tie, there aren't any bangs under his hat, and he looks like some sort of derpy turtle.

I'd try referencing off the body while maintaining the generic form of Quote portrayed in the WiiWare version.
p178517-1-cavestoryquoteface.png

He's actually giving off more of a timid, shy look fitting his personality rather than some unintelligent breed of tortoise.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM
"Huzzah!"
TLincoln said:
This makes me now wonder if FrozenFire has ever completed that 3D Quote model for his project.
Nope, unexpected things happened and I'm now focusing on music production so I can score a job at a company called Areia Creations Global Entertainment. Can't afford the time (literally, cuz time is money) to work on all the Cave Story stuff right now. :(

This model looks pretty nice so far, ciaxel. I look forward to seeing the final product. You seem pretty good with blender.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ciaxel isn't making this 3D model, FrozenFire. It's Connorses who's making it, which took inspiration from Fluto's model.

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:35 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ciaxel said:
Honestly, I hate that picture of Quote the most out of all pictures I find of Quote on the internet. His scarf looks like a backwards tie, there aren't any bangs under his hat, and he looks like some sort of derpy turtle.
You're right about the scarf and hair, I'm currently trying to make some proper bangs, and I plan to make my own version of the scarf and to change whatever other details need tweaking.

As for the face, I'll work that out if/when I texture him. Probably won't use this one.

I just liked that image because it's laid out like a 3D template. xD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Progress update. Might re-do the hands entirely, I have a better idea how to make 'em now. Might give him 3 fingers, it fits the cartoonish look better.
p178520-0-v4gmxof.png

Still needs work on the bangs. ugh.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:44 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The perspective probably made it look a little bigger. It's based on the proportion in the drawing. Maybe I'll tweak it, who knows.

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:37 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm learning Blender right now at school!
I hope someday I can be THIS good!