Winter Festive Modding Festival (2019)

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I might join, but I'd like to know if asking for an artist's help counts as having a "team". I'm bad at everything that has to do with drawing, so this would be good to know :) Everything else would be done by me.

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:01 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I might join, but I'd like to know if asking for an artist's help counts as having a "team". I'm bad at everything that has to do with drawing, so this would be good to know :) Everything else would be done by me.
That depends!
Are they doing basically all of your art or they're more of a general contributor? Then you're a team!
Are they helping with small things here and there? Then you can submit as either independent or a team if you believe that their contributions were still significant! :)

Dec 6, 2019 at 5:16 AM
"Huzzah!"
hm, this seems like it might be fun! i might join too unless i completely forget about it
...possibly related to joe's question, but if you're working on your own submission, would you be able to contribute to someone else's? helping them with art etc

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Are they doing basically all of your art or they're more of a general contributor?
I work with this person on a bigger project that's not related to this contest. They're kind of my go-to for art. I could try designing some tilesets myself, but I'd need help with NPCs and maybe backgrounds too.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:19 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I think this could be a good chance to show off some smaller ASM hacks I've been working on, so I think I might enter if I have the time.
I do wonder though, how much can someone else help with something before it's considered a group project? Does assembly count for this?

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:45 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
hm, this seems like it might be fun! i might join too unless i completely forget about it
...possibly related to joe's question, but if you're working on your own submission, would you be able to contribute to someone else's? helping them with art etc
Absolutely! :)

I work with this person on a bigger project that's not related to this contest. They're kind of my go-to for art. I could try designing some tilesets myself, but I'd need help with NPCs and maybe backgrounds too.
I think this could be a good chance to show off some smaller ASM hacks I've been working on, so I think I might enter if I have the time.
I do wonder though, how much can someone else help with something before it's considered a group project? Does assembly count for this?
  1. Is work on the mod collaborative? (i.e. you both contribute equally valued ideas, content et cetera) Yes: team
  2. Is someone making stuff specifically for you that you are dependant on? Yes: team
  3. Do you consider them part of a team or are you in an organised group working on your mod? Yes: team
To think in a more fun way, are they a contractor or an employee at your work?
Hope this helps you all out with this issue. :)

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:59 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So what does it mean when only one of those three rules apply to the ASM situation? Because if you truly have to solo this one out, that's gonna be quite the problem as ASM is still something most modders are limited in knowledge toward. Even with usage of the hacks that have been made and shared for years now, there's still going to be the new thing someone will want to see in their mod, and their ASM skills aren't as bright compared to others'. I'd personally wouldn't see this example as an collaborative or team effort to working on a mod.

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:44 PM
Soup Man
To think in a more fun way, are they a contractor or an employee at your work?
Hope this helps you all out with this issue. :)
oh ok that's somewhat understandable but its still kind of vague
So what does it mean when only one of those three rules apply to the ASM situation? Because if you truly have to solo this one out, that's gonna be quite the problem as ASM is still something most modders are limited in knowledge toward. Even with usage of the hacks that have been made and shared for years now, there's still going to be the new thing someone will want to see in their mod, and their ASM skills aren't as bright compared to others'. I'd personally wouldn't see this example as an collaborative or team effort to working on a mod.
this can apply to anything lol
So what does it mean when only one of those three rules apply to the artwork situation? Because if you truly have to solo this one out, that's gonna be quite the problem as quality pixel art is still something most modders are limited in knowledge toward. Even with usage of the free art assets that have been made and shared for years now, there's still going to be the new thing someone will want to see in their mod, and their art skills aren't as bright compared to others'. I'd personally wouldn't see this example as an collaborative or team effort to working on a mod.
i dont see why asm would be treated any differently than any other acquired skill.
though i do agree that what defines a collaboration is a bit too strict. i personally love making small asm hacks for people. i do wonder, if someone asks me to make a hack, then i make it for them without them even mentioning the contest or what the mod will be, would i still count as a collaborator??

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
i dont see why asm would be treated any differently than any other acquired skill.
ASM can be needed to do more interesting things but the thing is that not everybody is capable of learning how to do it.
It's valid in it's own right but some people are afraid people rather look at fancy custom weapons or mechanics than clever design.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:39 PM
Soup Man
ASM can be needed to do more interesting things but the thing is that not everybody is capable of learning how to do it.
It's valid in it's own right but some people are afraid people rather look at fancy custom weapons or mechanics than clever design.
Nice pixel art can be needed to show more interesting things but the thing is that not everybody is capable of learning how to do it.
It's valid in it's own right but some people are afraid people rather look at fancy tilesets or aesthetic than clever design.
I find it hard to believe that some people are just incapable of learning ASM. Saying that some people are incapable of learning *anything* just seems dehumanizing to me. You could make the argument that some people wouldn't have enough time to learn even the basics of assembly before this specific contest ends, which is fair, but why should this contest make an exception for these specific people and not people who haven't studied in other useful subjects valuable to modding?
I think that if there's a contest one wants to enter, and they don't know assembly, they should learn assembly enter anyway and work with the strengths they do have. Yeah, someone might make a gimmicky assembly mod, but if there's no real effort aside from the ASM, it probably won't get put on top of a genuinely fun creation (from what I've seen from past contests).

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:35 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
I find it hard to believe that some people are just incapable of learning ASM. Saying that some people are incapable of learning *anything* just seems dehumanizing to me.
Maybe capable is not the right word but I myself tried multiple times and I still don't get 90% of it.

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:40 PM
War criminal
Maybe capable is not the right word but I myself tried multiple times and I still don't get 90% of it.
Just be like most of us and yell at Txin for help. He'll show you how it works in-game and in the code.

Dec 10, 2019 at 7:17 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
It's time to get festive, and the best way to celebrate in Winter is by celebrating christmas.
Just kidding!!
This will be a short Modding Festival with a small scope to wrap up all modding contests until 2021 and celebrate the Winter months!

Theme
The theme of this contest is winter festivity! This could mean christmas, Hanukkah, or generally going outside in sub 0 degree weather and having a good time anyway!

Period
You can submit your mod any time from now until Wednesday 24th of December (Boxing Day) at 23:59 UTC+0.
At the end of the period there will be a community vote, and the winner(s) will win a super secret prize!

Livestream!
As is tradition for modding festivals, I will be streaming a play-through of each mod once the contest is over. I cannot guarantee that I will be able to brave and defeat each one but I will try my best! This livestream will take place on Twitch in early January.

Rules
Please observe the following rules before you start working on your mod, and ensure all the way up to submission that you follow them closely! Thank you.
  1. Please follow the Theme outlined above to the best of your abilities!
  2. Use a modification of the original executable of Cave Story, not any port, recompilation or other variant. For the sake of everyone's convenience you are allowed to use executables that have the Aeon Genesis or other English translation patches pre-installed. You do not have to use any of Cave Story's original data files.
  3. Any assets (music/sound, sprites/artwork, executable patches) you use may have been created before the beginning of the contest, but your maps must be original for the contest. This also extends to disallowing what are known as "Cave Story, but different" mods, which are usually light sprite/script edits of the original game.
  4. Teams are allowed however they are not encouraged. If you want to win the community vote, for every extra person who is on your team you will be given a penalty!
  5. Any content is allowed in your mods, but if it is graphic or otherwise not what people usually expect from a Cave Story mod like horror please declare this in your readme file. Mods that have content not allowed to be streamed on Twitch obviously won't be streamed on Twitch.
  6. When your mod is ready please post a download link to it into this thread, along with its official title, and a list of the people who worked on it and what they did in the post text (you may omit QA testers from these credits, but please credit them in your readme or in the game's end credits). You may also include one or more screenshots and a description at your own discretion. If you're submitting as a team you are not permitted to make any of your team members anonymous. If you're submitting as an individual and afraid of people associating your mod with you you can also Direct Message it to me and I will post it myself at the end of the contest.

That's all!
If you're entering, good luck with your submission! I will be monitoring these forums periodically so please ask any questions here or in a Direct Message. Thank you. :)
I...Might enter this, it's been a while since I did some Cave Story modding could be fun to retry...Eh sign me up.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:24 PM
I...Might enter this, it's been a while since I did some Cave Story modding could be fun to retry...Eh sign me up.
Great! I hope you can make something real fun! :)

Nice pixel art can be needed to show more interesting things but the thing is that not everybody is capable of learning how to do it.
It's valid in it's own right but some people are afraid people rather look at fancy tilesets or aesthetic than clever design.
I find it hard to believe that some people are just incapable of learning ASM. Saying that some people are incapable of learning *anything* just seems dehumanizing to me. You could make the argument that some people wouldn't have enough time to learn even the basics of assembly before this specific contest ends, which is fair, but why should this contest make an exception for these specific people and not people who haven't studied in other useful subjects valuable to modding?
I think that if there's a contest one wants to enter, and they don't know assembly, they should learn assembly enter anyway and work with the strengths they do have. Yeah, someone might make a gimmicky assembly mod, but if there's no real effort aside from the ASM, it probably won't get put on top of a genuinely fun creation (from what I've seen from past contests).
The rules on what counts as a team effort should be more intuitive than prescriptive. The guidelines I listed above apply to all skillsets equally. And remember that there is a difference between using something made by someone else and commissioning it from them for your usages!

Anyone can learn assembly, it's not that hard! :)

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:36 PM
War criminal
Anyone can learn assembly, it's not that hard! :)
You may need to lurk moar. Because there is a reason why she doesn't use ASM.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:35 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Anyone can learn assembly, it's not that hard!
It dephends on the motivation and/or time you may or may not have.
I myself am not really a lot modding at the moment and even if I did come back I don't really have the time to look into it, let alone the interest.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:54 PM
Hello everybody! We're nearly down to a week here, so how are everybody's mods coming along? :D

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
whoops