Windows 10 and Background Programs

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:09 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
So my computer recently had a little episode and I lost all of my files. That's now what this little rant is about thought... this little rant is about the fact that when HP returned my laptop to me...

THEY INSTALLED WINDOWS 10!

Now I've already tried Windows 10. And I hate it. Why?

My computer has less than 2.0gHz of processing power. So naturally, the fact that Cortana takes up an average of 35mb/s of processing power EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF means that only 75% of my computer's processing power is available at any time. And that's NOT including all of the other mundane background processes that RESTART THEMSELVES IF YOU CLOSE THEM.

Additionally, I spent the first 10min of every day waiting for OneDrive to stop absorbing processing power on startup before my computer broke down. But APPARENTLY, it wasn't even syncing my files! It was just booting up! So I couldn't even recover my files from THAT.

Finally, I looked up solutions to my computer's problem before I sent it in. HP could have just reinstalled Windows 8.1 and my files would have been safe. But INSTEAD, they decided to install WINDOWS 10 because they're up Microsoft's behind, and lost all of my files. That, to me, is extremely disgusting and immoral. I could have just sent them a request for a downloadable copy of Windows 8.1, installed it myself, and kept my files. But the lady over the phone insisted that it would be easier to just send it in and "let them take care of it".

Well, once I've saved up enough money, I'm going to buy a new PC, and it will not be from HP. And if it weren't for the fact that running games and such on a MAC is a nightmare, I wouldn't buy another Windows computer either.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't think you really understand what computing power means if you're using mb/s as your unit of measurement friend

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM
That's the unit of measurement that the Task Manager used to describe it so I assumed that was the correct one.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
that's disk write speed. It's probably indexing files or something. Granted, overuse of disk can be a performance killer but it's only one factor, and I'm guessing it's only going to do that temporarily. What you probably want is an SSD to crank that number up.

cortana doesn't even work on my computer so I cant really say much about its long-term performance costs. But make sure you go into the Startup tab and disable anything you don't need.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:00 AM
"Huzzah!"
Geez, that really sucks. Hopefully your next experience will be much better.

If your computer is good enough for it, you can install Crashplan which will let you backup to another computer running it (free) or an external hard drive (this may require paid but I'm not sure).

The CPU value you get in Task Manager is how much of your total processor a program is taking. The Disk value is write speed in MB/s, as Noxid said. 35 MB/s write speed doesn't mean you only have 1.65 GHz left of your processor to use. 2 GHz on your processor refers to the frequency at which your chip runs (clock cycles/s)

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:14 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It's possible to get rid of all of the things that make windows 10 shitty with quite a bit of tinkering, classicshell and aero enabler make it feel more like Windows 7, and it is possible to uninstall Cortana completely. However, Windows 10 isn't great for productivity of gamers and modders, but for me, it looks nice, and it's not Windows 8.

But opinions aside, I feel bad for you. Though, HP is doing what Microsoft told them to do. HP and Dell computers suck from my experience and I highly recommend a Gateway computer because of their price to quality ratio.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:18 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
aero is trashhhhh

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:43 PM
It's possible to get rid of all of the things that make windows 10 shitty with quite a bit of tinkering, classicshell and aero enabler make it feel more like Windows 7, and it is possible to uninstall Cortana completely. However, Windows 10 isn't great for productivity of gamers and modders, but for me, it looks nice, and it's not Windows 8.

But opinions aside, I feel bad for you. Though, HP is doing what Microsoft told them to do. HP and Dell computers suck from my experience and I highly recommend a Gateway computer because of their price to quality ratio.

I've heard that uninstalling Cortana requires manual tinkering with the Program Files and can cause some issues with Windows Update. And yeah, I think if I get another computer it will be custom built. That way there's no bullshit involved.

When I originally installed Windows 10 it wouldn't work because the computer couldn't handle all the background programs. When HP fixed my PC, they must have done something to improve its performance. Maybe when they replaced the hard drive (which they didn't need to do, they just needed to reinstall the original OS and then my PC would have been fine), they added a better one, or something, but now even the videogames I play get better FPS.