Wind Fortress: What is it and where is it in the timeline?

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:55 AM
Part-Time Perfectionist
Pixel Cut-Content Discord Admin
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I'm guessing this has been done to death but what is the G-CLONE, where was it going to be in the main story-line and why was it left out?
So here is my (rather long) theory on it:
  • Where does this all appear in the timeline?
I think that since the drafty cave looks like Grasstown maybe it was originally meant to be in Grasstown? It would certainly explain how Curly gets to the Sand Zone (You rescue her, she leaves and forgets everything etc.)
Before you complain "That doesn't really sound very Cave-Story-like" I present the next part of my theory:
  • Why was it left out?
Apparently Wind Fortress was going to be in the original Cave Story, but it was left out... Why?
I believe that it has something to do with it not fitting with the theme of the rest of the game, perhaps it didn't work very well in the story aspect? (Like one of my older theories was Curly was made in the G-CLONE, but she also fought with Quote 10 years earlier and perhaps that was why it was left out) Maybe because it was too hard? (Wind Fortress... HARD!!)
Or maybe Pixel was worried about this: Wind Fortress what are those naked curly clones doing
And finally
  • What IS G-CLONE anyway?
I get the feeling that Curly was made in the G-CLONE, and perhaps it was cut because it clashes with Curly fighting in the war with Quote 10 years earlier?

A lot of questions here, but I would also love to see your theories on the matter! :mrgreen:

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:01 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
zxin said:
  • Why was it left out?
I'm pretty sure its been said that Pixel left wind fortress out of the game because its theme of the level was too dark.

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:16 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I think it was left out because it was just an idea Pixel had, but it was scrapped.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:17 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think you're looking a bit too deep into this. The Wind Fortress isn't canon, as it was originally part of CS Beta and is an unlockable time trial stage in CS+.

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:39 PM
Based Member
zxin said:
I'm pretty sure its been said that Pixel left wind fortress out of the game because its theme of the level was too dark.
Really? It's not that dark.
(Considering you have to kill Toroko who is established as your friend, soon after King also dies.
The version you play in Cave Story+, no, that certainly isn't too dark. But I'm wanting to say that I heard that the original plan was for the destruction of G-Clone to also destroy Curly in the process, and that that was what he considered too dark. Too "gruesome" was actually the exact word that I heard. I don't remember where I heard this, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:13 AM
Professional Whatever
Well obviously the story would be modified to accommodate

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
zxin said:
Ah, this is true!
The moral of the story is: WIND FORTRESS MAKES NO SENSE!!!!
Lol! I tried to make sense out of the wind fortress stage before. You can't. It just doesn't fit in the current cave story storyline.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:09 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I /think/ that would be illegal. Somebody mentioned that long ago... Can't remember for sure what the verdict was, but I'm pretty sure we said that that shouldn't be a thing anyone does.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:07 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
duncathan said:
I /think/ that would be illegal. Somebody mentioned that long ago... Can't remember for sure what the verdict was, but I'm pretty sure we said that that shouldn't be a thing anyone does.
There's also technical issues preventing that from being accomplished, those being the new enemies and boss that appear in wind fortress, which have different AI from enemies in vanilla CS.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:11 AM
Based Member
zxin said:
Can you create new NPCs in Cave Story with assembly? Or would you have to replace an existing one??
It is possible to create new NPCs with assembly without replacing any existing ones, but odds are you won't need all the existing NPCs from the game and it will be best to replace one.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:22 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
My guess is that it doesn't fit in with the timeline, hence why Pixel cut it out.

Maybe it came before the plot of Cave Story. Miakid sounds like the sort who would clone a bunch of scout bots.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:13 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Moon said:
My guess is that it doesn't fit in with the timeline, hence why Pixel cut it out.
No. The timeline changed because Pixel cut it out is more the point.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:08 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think that the Wind Fortress took place after the events of the game (after defeating Ballos). My speculation thing is that Curly somehow get's kidnapped by the person who built the G-Force, and is wanting to maybe try to take over the world or something using the Curly Clones. Something along the lines of that.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:03 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Shiny Shinx said:
...My speculation thing is that Curly somehow get's kidnapped by the person who built the G-Force...
Sir Issac Newton how could you do this to us. I thought we could trust you.