Wii music: garbage or just misunderstood?

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:35 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Misunderstood, soooo misunderstood...

rtnario said:
But yeah, it's a pretty bad move not to include ANY percussion.
VoidMage_Lowell said:
There is percussion, it's just one of the things that's not playing right on the Wii for some reason.
Yann van der Cruyssen said:
As you’ve all noticed, there’s a lot of weird things going on with the audio, for instance: drum tracks not playing (there is actually drums in the music files we provided), instrument changes delayed, unbalanced mixing. I discovered this yesterday by watching “Let’s Play” videos, and am as disappointed as you.

We haven't actually heard the real new songs, yet....

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:38 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Re: Misunderstood, soooo misunderstood...

VoidMage_Lowell said:

These will be considered the new songs for everyone who plays it, until it gets patched you realize. This is all we have to go on for now.

[EDIT]: Oh that guy uploaded all the mp3's in a rar file, you can get it from the video description of any one of the vids. I'm going to go back and rate all the rest now.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:48 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Misunderstood me, too

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
VoidMage_Lowell said:
These will be considered the new songs for everyone who plays it, until it gets patched you realize. This is all we have to go on for now.
Hence "real new songs".
Yes, they're the new songs no matter what, but we haven't heard their full potential yet due to technical issues...
That's why I'm going to hold back any comments until the patch, so I can hear the finished product.
It's not very fair, otherwise... {To at least the composer, if anything}

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:50 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Re: Misunderstood me, too

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Hence "real new songs".
Yes, they're the new songs no matter what, but we haven't heard their full potential yet due to technical issues...
That's why I'm going to hold back any comments until the patch, so I can hear the finished product.
It's not very fair, otherwise...

The only issue I have with that is that the patch is unconfirmed by Nicalis and co. They said something along the lines that they'd try and get the stuff fixed for the EU version, but I haven't seen an official announcement from them (which they should make on their blog, really now).

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:07 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Ah, thanks for bringing that up Lowell. But yeah, so that means all this time this judging is pretty, well, for lack of a better term, half-assed. :)

They really should make an OFFICIAL announcement though like CHEEZER said. But until then, what choice do we have but to listen to what we have right now? :D I guess there'll be a completely new list for the soundtrack without percussion and the soundtrack with percussion. Of course, if it really does happen for the EU version. Which it should. =|

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hiya! I'm the guy who recorded and uploaded all those songs on YT and Mediafire.
Do you guys know if the extra title screen tracks are in the Wii version, too? I beat the Sanctuary in under 4 minutes or something (using cheats, sue me) and the title screen stayed the same.

Anyways, I'm going to record the fixed music too... As soon as they're fixed of course.

On a completely unrelated note, nice forum you have here.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
To the best of my knowledge they aren't, since I managed to get a decent time in both regular and Sanctuary hell and nothing changed. Curious that they did a MIDI remix of Toroko's theme but not White, which I would have been curious to hear. Either way I don't think it's possible to hear Toroko in regular gameplay :/

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:09 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
The music's fairly good, though I dunno if it would sound the same on the Wii. Does the Wii use General Midi sounds?

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:25 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
@CM: No. If you want to listen to what it would sound like on the wii, well look at the post I quoted.

King said:
Looks like someone recorded the Wii soundtrack and is posting them to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frygoon

He's uploaded 19 of them so far and looks like he's still going. Enjoy!

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I listened to the tracks from that youtube account uploaded. I'll admit, it's not TOO bad. Though the tracks were only 3 categories: This is amazing, meh, and WTF. Some of the tracks, like Geothermal, sounded like an underwater dreamscape, or something. Not too bad. Scorching back sent a shiver down my spine, in a good way. It's not like the original, of course, but it still had that sense of urgency to it. Last Cave sounds just like some empty-room disco music where instead of dancing, everyone got up and went for a drink. Balcony sounds like church music, it doesn't fit the level at all, really. Breakdown was just turned from a sad/crying piece to a complete ball of shit. It's too short, but it sounded WAY too happy. It sounded more like farm music than seeing an entire island full of people dying and falling to the ground. Everything was too pokemon silver-ish sounding, and too underwatery-dreamy.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:45 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, I'm joining the music-rating bandwagon, too!

Awesome:
Eyes Of Flame | Run! | Jenka 2 | Geothermal | Oppression | Quiet | Scorching Back | Cave Story (Wii Menu) | Last Cave | Charge | Last Battle | Running Hell | Seal Chamber | The Way Back Home | Get Heart Tank!

Decent:
Gestation | Mimiga Town | Balrog's Theme | Gravity | Pulse | Meltdown 2 | Jenka 1 | Labyrinth Fight | Moonsong | Balcony | Break Down | Victory! | Game Over

Meh:
Access | Plant | Cemetery | Safety | Mischievious Robot | Onto Bushlands | Tyrant | Living Waterway | Hero's End | Cave Story | Zombie

Disapproval:
Got Item

...Also, I'm probably gonna re-record Break Down later today, since I now know that there's more to the song. Break Down updated (Did that quite a while ago, actually...)

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Apr 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Yes, I have found that out quite recently. The song in question is already on my MP3 player ; )

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:44 AM
Whoa, I haven't been in this forum for awhile.
Anyway, my opinions on the Wii soundtrack from what I heard on Youtube.

Mediocre. On its own, without comparison, it is just an average soundtrack, nothing worth mentioning.
When compared to the originals, it is absolute garbage. One of the things I was looking forward too in this remake was a upgrade to the awesomeness of this soundtrack. But nope, they downgraded, if anything. This new soundtrack is very 8 bit-like. Even worse, most of the songs seem too soft.

Overall, I hate this new soundtrack, and it is one of the main reasons why I am not wasting my money on this game. I'll just stick with the PC version.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
M-Warrior said:
This new soundtrack is very 8 bit-like.

I'd like to know when it was voted that 8-bit music was bad, inherently or otherwise.

No, really. I can accept most arguments for music being bad except "It's too 8-bit/16-bit". Those puzzle me because some of the best music I've ever heard has been just that.

And I'm going to stop now lest I launch into rant mode.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
M-Warrior said:
Mediocre. On its own, without comparison, it is just an average soundtrack, nothing worth mentioning.
When compared to the originals, it is absolute garbage. One of the things I was looking forward too in this remake was a upgrade to the awesomeness of this soundtrack. But nope, they downgraded, if anything. This new soundtrack is very 8 bit-like. Even worse, most of the songs seem too soft.

I wouldn't say it that's bad now. Sure, it's not what we expected (or what we could consider) an "upgraded" version of the music, but it's not absolute garbage. Some of them feel like that though (well, only really gravity is the worst) but for the most part they're pretty good. It's mostly a stylistic choice, since they did say they wanted to keep it's "retro feel". The new music is good though, and almost better with some tracks that were improved (living waterway, balcony, cemetery, maybe geothermal).

Also they said there was a glitch with it which made the percussion not play. As to when/if they're going to fix it, there's been no official announcement about it yet besides that they MIGHT do it for the Europe release.

And as jackalope said, 8-bit isn't bad.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:15 PM
Been here way too long...
The original Cave Story sounded 8-bit. I expected the "upgrade" to sound more like real music, especially after hearing this. I wasn't looking forward to hearing a remix of the songs in the same style (not Pixel's style, but chiptuney), so it was a disappointment. They changed the soundtrack a lot, but not in a direction I wanted. Therefore, the most of the new stuff isn't as good.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:28 AM
Captain Fabulous said:
especially after hearing this.

I take it that's what Moonsong would sound like in the game when/if they fix it.

And then there's this... Oh wait, the blog is down. So much for that.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:30 AM
Been here way too long...
That's not what Moonsong would sound like in-game if they fixed it. The only glitches with the music they're having are with drums. They screwed up Moonsong, and I can't forgive them. Even if On To (ON. TO.) Bushlands was really nice.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:34 AM
I thought it was said drums weren't the only thing missing there... Meh, oh well.