Wii music: garbage or just misunderstood?

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
@Jackalope & Cyowolf: I hope you 2 aren't judging the music from just those midis, since these midis really just suck (unless they're played on the wii I guess), even more than the remade version of gestation on the wii! These alone should not suffice for you guys to judge (I'm sure somewhere down the road we'll get mp3's).

And cyowolf, the new Dr theme actually did sound good (really good I thought) in the game, but you can't tell with this midi (on a standard midi player).

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:10 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oy, I hope we get mp3's.

Then again, I was listening to a midi, which are usually crappy regardless.

I do believe I was expecting too much.

Eh, I'll review again once I listen to the ACTUAL music.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Cyowolf1122 said:
Oy, I hope we get mp3's.

Then again, I was listening to a midi, which are usually crappy regardless.

I do believe I was expecting too much.

Eh, I'll review again once I listen to the ACTUAL music.
if that ever happens.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:35 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
well, surely it will. In fact, I'm sure people've already ripped and uploaded it, no matter how much the populace dislikes it

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM
Those midis sound wrong, Jackalope. You'll have to re-evaluate them once we get some actual music, because the instruments are all fucked up for those. I really, really hope I can listen to the proper versions, but here's what I think of the music I have heard so far:

Cave Story: Just another soulless remix of the song. Better than Tumult's, I suppose, but not even close to beating the original.
Gestation: They messed it up. Does not sound like cave music, sounds like a kid's show theme.
Mimiga Town: It's fine. Slightly different vibe than the original, but that's what's supposed to happen. Of course it still sounds cartoony. All of the music does. I accept the new theme, but not as the legitimate Cave Story.
Balrog's Theme: Any change that makes it less bad-ass will not sit well with me, and this song is so far from being an exception that it needs a passport to get anywhere near Exceptionland.
Eyes of Flame: is made of dumb and gay.
On To Bushlands: It's nice. I like it because it suits the dark, mossy and damp feel of the Bushlands. This song has my seal of approval.
Moonsong: This was on the Cave Story website and I have no reason to believe they changed it. Someone tell me if they did, because I FUCKING LOVE that song, MOST CERTAINLY more than the original Moonsong.

A side note: I was annoyed by how the music stops momentarily when moving between rooms. Pixel's Cave Story didn't do that.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:55 PM
I really didn't like onto bushlands, but personal opinion, I guess.
The only one I really liked was Curly, but I'd be much obliged if ya could link me to the good new moonsong.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:03 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Captain Fabulous said:
Moonsong: This was on the Cave Story website and I have no reason to believe they changed it. Someone tell me if they did, because I FUCKING LOVE that song, MOST CERTAINLY more than the original Moonsong.

The instrumentation is slightly different (and better IMO); other than that, it's the same.

Lace: www.cavestory.com

As I've said, I really enjoy the pillowy-soft rendition of the title theme... on the title screen. When it plays during the Plantation, it's so off I can't even.. describe it. And what's with the mix that we hear a clip of when we click the Cave Story channel on the Wii? That doesn't seem to actually exist at all in the game.. not that I like it as much as either the original, dou_bgm_old.exe or softer Wii version.

I was really feeling a lot better around Sand Zone as pretty much every song from that one for awhile after it is great... Sand Zone, Jenka 1 and 2, Labyrinth Fight and Living Waterway are all really good. Of course, Geothermal and Oppression are completely manure compared to the old ones, but if you don't count them, every song between Sand Zone and Moonsong sounds outstanding. Then you get to the Plantation, and it's SO bad and SO much less fitting or cool than the PC version when you step into that area and get chills from hearing that badass intro theme used in the actual game, and used in the first area in which things aren't super depressing after returning to Mimiga Village and the Egg Corridor... and suddenly, you're so disappointed, everything sounds bad again. Makes me kinda sad ;_;

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:02 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This video of the outer wall was released before wiiware story was, I don't know if it was touched up a bit before the release (I hope not), but this one does sound a bit different to the cave story site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEERmEefis

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:45 AM
Vercci said:
This video of the outer wall was released before wiiware story was, I don't know if it was touched up a bit before the release (I hope not), but this one does sound a bit different to the cave story site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEERmEefis

hate to break it to you, but they made a few tweaks. Basically they took their remixes version which was good and then kind of... Un-instrumented it. Sort of. They just stewed it into one giant pot of boring, well, stew. All of the instruments sound alike, and more fake. It's like playing a fully orchestrated version of the cavestory theme in the preview, then made the song a single-piano midi in-game. But less extreme then that.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:08 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/46892/
This post I made in the wiiware thread is completely relevant to this thread, however I don't feel like copying and pasting it over here.

Basically it means the new soundtrack might not be as bad as we thought it was, since it (like many things) is buggy.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:21 AM
Good, I was starting to lose faith.

Ps congrats 100 internets

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I've heard some of the songs from the wii version and I can definitely say it doesn't sound anything like those midis. But I've been looking for the mp3s and haven't found them yet

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Looks like someone recorded the Wii soundtrack and is posting them to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frygoon

He's uploaded 19 of them so far and looks like he's still going. Enjoy!

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
They really could have done a better job with the music...for most of them the original is better IMO. And some of them are just completely butchered and sound terrible, like Labyrinth Fight and Oppression.

I listened to the first 20 tracks side by side and this is how I rank them compared to the original-

Better: (none)

Same, or at least a decent alternative:
Access, Run!

Worse, but not too horrible alternative:
Gestation, Plant, Meltdown 2, Tyrant, Jenka 2

Much worse:
Mimiga Town, Balrog's Theme, Gravity, Cemetery, Safety, Mischievous Robot, Pulse, Grasstown, Eyes of Flame, Jenka 1, Labyrinth Fight, Geothermal, Oppression

Also most of these have almost zero percussion. Pixel had some great percussion in his versions, but not so for the Wii. Whoever was in charge of these remixes really dropped the ball...

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Cough*DoublePost*Cough*

King said:
Also most of these have almost zero percussion. Pixel had some great percussion in his versions, but not so for the Wii. Whoever was in charge of these remixes really dropped the ball...
Don't forget that they've already admitted to having some sort of sound error with the music.
Lurk...
There will hopefully be a fix for this in the near future, along with other things, and then we can really judge the music.
Until then, I'd wait before calling it crap...

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:47 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
*Cough*Triplepostactually*Cough*

Lowell, they claim that they are not at fault "because the game messed up the tracks." Maybe we can't judge the music for now, but we can still judge the collection of bugs, nitpick the art, bash the translation, and complain about the volume issues.

Slightly unrelated and more important part:

As quoted in that little link of yours, they said something about changing the "oh yeah," to "huzzah." Why? Are they just going to change that to appease a few people or are they going to use the whole Aeon Genesis script? I'll be pretty angry with them if they only changed the one line, seeing as the deal-breaker for me was the writing.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Again with this...

Fire1052 said:
Lowell, they claim that they are not at fault "because the game messed up the tracks." Maybe we can't judge the music for now, but we can still judge the collection of bugs, nitpick the art, bash the translation, and complain about the volume issues.
Then you're in the completely wrong thread.
This is for the Music of the Wii release.
If you want to complain more about the other stuff, go to a relevant thread.
Fire1052 said:
As quoted in that little link of yours, they said something about changing the "oh yeah," to "huzzah." Why? Are they just going to change that to appease a few people or are they going to use the whole Aeon Genesis script? I'll be pretty angry with them if they only changed the one line, seeing as the deal-breaker for me was the writing.
Well, first of all, that was just the composer talking about a conversation he had with Tyrone about how they might change it, later. It's not solid, yet.
But there wasn't a reason listed, so your best chance would be asking Tyrone himself, or something.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:12 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I didn't think they were that bad, really. Took a little while to warm up to some of them, but I think one of the issues is that we may suffer slightly from existential preference.
Generally you like what you see first, especially when given time to get used to it. It's more or less unavoidable I believe.

I rated them into 4 categories, Pretty sweet (these ones are almost better than the original, or took them in a "new direction" and pulled it off), Good (these ones are decent, not really better than the original, not outstanding, but still good), Meh (these ones are worse in my opinion, but not by that much), No (I more or less hate these ones).

Pretty sweet:
Living waterway, Geothermal, Run!, Tyrant, Pulse, Cemetery, Scorching Back, Balcony, Zombie, The Way Back Home

Good:
Labrynth fight, Jenka 2, Jenka, Eyes of flame, Safety, Plant, Mimiga Town, Gestation, Moonsong, Hero's end, Last Cave, Last Battle, Running Hell, Seal Chamber

Meh:
Meltdown, Onto Bushlands, Mischevious Robot, Balrog's theme, Access, Oppression, Quiet, Cave Story, Charge, Break Down,

No:
Gravity

Some of them feel really empty, mainly because of a lack of percussion. I do hope they fix that.

I'll update this list when the guy uploads the rest, and when (if) they're fixed.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:16 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
...I fully agree with GIRakaCHEEZER.

It really did take some getting used to, but after that, you'll learn to love the new soundtrack almost as much as the original! :D But yeah, it's a pretty bad move not to include ANY percussion.

I agree with the list too, but if it were me I would move Oppression to Good. It may have lost the feeling of the original, what without the percussion and the intimidating presence and all, but I do like the new bits added like the "solo". :)

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
rtnario said:
I agree with the list too, but if it were me I would move Oppression to Good. It may have lost the feeling of the original, what without the percussion and the intimidating presence and all, but I do like the new bits added like the "solo". :)

I'll probably move it up to Good once it gets percussion. The best thing about the original, and it was important since this was a big boss fight, is that it made an impact when you heard it, where as this one seems rather quiet, but for now I'm willing to believe that's because of the lack of percussion. The new bits are good, but in order to get up there for me it should serve it's purpose in the game. That's one of the things I judge them on. :D

The original had more of a sense of urgency, whereas this one seems lacking currently.

Also I moved it up one, since I never gave it much of a listen before.