Why is Balrog?

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:00 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You likely remember the time when noone knew what was Balrog, now I ask this question:
Why is Balrog? What purpose brought him into the world? What could have created this soap
monster? Two soap likely didn't, but it could be theorized. There are plenty of theories about the creation
of a witch, but what about something as different as Balrog?

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:25 AM
"Huzzah!"
I've learned something from The Binding of Isaac that I think can apply here: Don't question Isaac (or in this case, Balrog).
Just don't. :p

I'm pretty sure he's Jenka's nephew, but I'm not sure, so he was not created by the Demon Crown upon its creation; he was alive at the same time as Misery before the Crown's creation.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure the Isaac rule applies here. :p

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:33 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Balrog is a trial we must all get through. And at the end of the road, he shows us the new path.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I feel this is still something to think on. Theories are made all the time about the insane in games. I watched the Game Theory channel on Youtube recently. They talk about Toads being the true overlords of their land, or such a thing. Fans of all types of media speculate about everything from the true amount of legs on the protagonist to whether Five Nights at Freddy's 4 is an actual idea in development. I feel that why Balrog exists is a reasonable start to a theory-mongering session.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:52 AM
"Huzzah!"
Uncertainty is all a part of Balrog's character, plus it's funny to joke about while making custom mods.

"It's a bird! It's a plane! It's-"
"A toaster."
"Hah hah, real funny. It's-"
"A toaster, I'm not joking with you"
"Oh yeah? What make's you so certain you know what he is in the first place eh?"
"... Good point."

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:53 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Balrog is what keeps the universe together,

He is what holds this earth together

He is the one who created light, darkness, life, land

He is responsible for everything

Balrog is our holy savior
The one I worship to every day

Balrog is love, Balrog is life

He is our one true savior,
The one I follow.

Post is a joke. I think I just created an entire religion dedicated to balrog though, but still, know that I think about it, he's probably just Misery's henchman

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:10 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
CelloThine said:
You likely remember the time when noone knew what was Balrog, now I ask this question:
Why is Balrog? What purpose brought him into the world? What could have created this soap
monster? Two soap likely didn't, but it could be theorized. There are plenty of theories about the creation
of a witch, but what about something as different as Balrog?
The thing about Balrog is sure, he looks like the Brave Little Toaster, but he looks mostly robotic. This is my suggestions of theories, but Balrog may probably be built as a golem by either Jenka or Misery as either a bodyguard or a servant, or he was probably built as a robot by one of the former Demon Crown bearers for similar purposes to the other theory suggestion.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:13 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If he was built simply as a golem by the Demon Crown's bearer or servant, how did he have his own free will to help Quote in the story?

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:15 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Well see, once there was a man named Pixel who wanted to make a game. He started working on a game called "Cave Story". For the game, he created a character named Balrog. He created a design for him, and put him in the game.
There's also some more parts about him being based on an enemy from an earlier version of the game, but that's not important.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thatnamelessguy said:
Well see, once there was a man named Pixel who wanted to make a game. He started working on a game called "Cave Story". For the game, he created a character named Balrog. He created a design for him, and put him in the game.
There's also some more parts about him being based on an enemy from an earlier version of the game, but that's not important.
That's taking the quick out to it. What is the point of any theorizing to media if it can be dismissed as only "Author's Choice"? We should think harder on this, in a way that uses our knowledge and the lore of the media we are, as a community, a part of.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:35 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Balrog simply is. There is no rhyme or reason. No grand design, no secret purpose. He was left in a world of random chaos to fend for himself, a child left in the rain.

After the Demon Crown's destruction and a year living with his saviors, he realized why he felt so empty, what he lacked in his synthetic facsimile of a life. He is still traveling the world to this day, searching, pleading huzzahs echoing out into the eons of nothingness.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:40 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
CelloThine said:
That's taking the quick out to it.
yes it is the quickest and perhaps the most evidence backed answer
CelloThine said:
What is the point of any theorizing to media if it can be dismissed as only "Author's Choice"?
theories are generally made off of what the story has explained and/or what the author hasn't disclosed.
CelloThine said:
We should think harder on this,
go ahead if you wish, just know that your question doesn't actually go anywhere.
CelloThine said:
in a way that uses our knowledge and the lore of the media we are, as a community, a part of.
the knowledge and lore of an idie game about a kid robot and his adventures and miss adventures throughout a floating island on his quest to stop a insane medical doctor with a magic eye hat from enslaving Bunny people to use them to take over the world and save an annoying little girl who turned into one of said bunny people? miracles. miracles are "why is Balrog?".

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:12 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
CelloThine getting to the deep fuckin questions right here, folks. None of that pussy ass bullshit "who is balrog", "what is balrog based off of" nope we're going straight for the philosophy up in here, with our host, the socrates of sarcasm, the plato with panache, the galileo with guile himself, Mixmaster Cellothine.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:13 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
In the beginning, there was only
a churning turmoil of chaos.
At the heart of chaos, where all
things became one, appeared a Soap Bar.
Having tumbled from the vortex, the
Soap Bar gave rise to the Balrog.
From itself, two beings the Balrog
did make.
Time started to spin.
Space began to expand.
From itself again, three living things
the Balrog did make.
The two beings wished, and from them,
matter came to be.
The three living things wished, and
from them, spirit came to be.
The world created, the Balrog
took to unyielding sleep...

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM
Been here way too long...
Balrog was probably a creature Misery made to help her out in serving the Demon Crown wielder, or it may be possible Balrog was created by Jenka long ago to keep Misery company or something.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:13 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Goerge Bobicles said:
lore of an idie game about a kid robot and his adventures and miss adventures throughout a floating island on his quest to stop a insane medical doctor with a magic eye hat from enslaving Bunny people to use them to take over the world and save an annoying little girl who turned into one of said bunny people? miracles. miracles are "why is Balrog?".
MoThErFuCkInG MiRaClEs mAn

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:13 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Reddeh Le Steddeh said:
In the beginning, there was only
a churning turmoil of chaos.
At the heart of chaos, where all
things became one, appeared a Soap Bar.
Having tumbled from the vortex, the