Why doesn't Ballos'es second form kill you on contact on slamed on?

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
In CaveStory after defeating Ballos'es first form he fly's away and his second form begins.Its the only form that doesn't hurt you on contact.But whats weirdious thing of all,(and this is in all versions on CaveStory,)is when Ballos'es head falls on you it only takes a toll of 16 damage then your stuck in the gorund in till you jump or stay there and die.But its werid to think this doesn't kill you on like the press'es and Heavy press.But also this same thing happen'es in the plantion when you go under the spot the rocket was in,When it comes back down your put into the ground then your trapped intill you figet for long enough you come back out down the spot your got trapped in but you take no damage.Its odd neither of these two these take instant death on you.

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
1) the floor is made of bones so they lessen the impact when they crush and you go into them
2) the rocket thing is a "bug" in the game and pressing down triggers an event to get you out, which is the fix. The rocket can't push you to the side so this is the next best thing.

also can you try and find the enter key on your keyboard because solid blocks of text are kind of hard to read

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Based Member
Pretty much what Noxid said.

And if I may say, this hardly qualifies for a technical issue seeing as how Ballos not killing you by crushing you is an intentional aspect of the game's design, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I moved it to gen. disc because there isn't much of a theory postulated in the OP, just an open-ended question

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Fair enough.

However, I find that most of the theories in the Theories forum kind of have the same gist as this one. You know, asking a question about a "why" instance in the game without actually stating a theory in the starting post. I ended up doing that in the Theories thread because I thought it was suitable; most users seemed to ask questions about the game there.

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM
War criminal
So hypothetically, if I have 1 HP and his second form slams on me, I won't die?

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:04 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Uh, why wouldn't you?

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Professional Whatever
You still get hurt, it just isn't an insta-kill

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Gameplay! Getting through Sacred Grounds is hard enough, but giving the boss an instant kill move would just be Bullshit. Also none of the other bosses have instant kill moves and after that long trek and fighting another boss its hard to teach the player that a boss can instant kill them in a fair way. It's more fitting to make it difficult by enhancing what the player has learned to do in previous boss fights. Dodge projectiles, watch for enemies, platform while trying not to get hit, etc...

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Not every element in a game exists within the context of the story, some things exist only within the context of gameplay, or art direction, or whatever. I mean you don't expect the NPCs in Pokemon to actually have giant heads and live in pseudo-tardis houses do you?

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I did find it really weird that you didn't die instantly from getting smashed by Ballos' giant form. I remember dodging like mad, thinking, oh man... if that hits me, it's all over...

Then in one of my later runs, I wasn't paying attention and slipped up; and crap! ... Huh... Wha-
ALIVE! ... A strange but an amusing choice...

Question :
Do you take damage after you're squished in the ground? OR can you take a safe literal dirt nap?
No save to test it right now...

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
X-Calibar said:
Question :
Do you take damage after you're squished in the ground? OR can you take a safe literal dirt nap?
No save to test it right now...
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, mainly since Quote is exactly 1 tile tall, so he would/should collide with the damage hitbox when it hits the ground (which is when the damage box goes away).