Who wrote the script on the map system?

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
The script that says "So long as you retain your spirit of exploration, surely you shall find your way out. This I believe."

I first thought of this when I read the "Which Character Should Get Their Own Game" thread and people were discussing it, so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about it.

Anyway, who do you think it was? And how did it get there?

My theory is that because it is a GPS of sorts, it must have come from the surface. Possibly it was brought my the Doctor or someone else on the exploration team. Or the robot army. But I think that the writing was Arthur's, so it must have fallen into his hands at some point.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm... maybe it was one the humans who traveled to the island during the era of the robot army attacks.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM
LSD
"..."
Well I was actually working on turning that into a thread but whatevs.

I kind of had the theory that the person who wrote on the Map System and the person who wrote on the Nikumaru Timer could be the same person.
Map- "So long as you retain your spirit of exploration, surely you shall find your way out. This I believe."
Timer- "This item is a tribute to your determination. Glory to all zealous challengers!"
They're kind of written in similar language, although that simply could be due to translation. They both kind of allude to it being some previous adventurer going through the island in a similar fashion to Quote.
This also kind of helps the theory of it being Arthur. Obviously, Arthur would have lived in the Mimiga Village, and could have easily left the map system in the chest. It was also stated that he was bested by the Red Demon, who is found in the Last Cave, which is found once you make your way to the top of the Outer Wall and then the top of the Plantation. Had Arthur been on a similar quest as Quote, he could have taken the route through the Outer Wall, and at one point left the Timer in the Clock Room.

And that's about all I had.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM
"..."
That's a pretty good theory. It makes sense about the Timer also, as most likely Arthur traveled around to distant places on the island. He probably did go to the exact same places as Quote because he had a teleporter in his house and could go to other areas with teleporters.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Kuro said:
It was also stated that [Arthur] was bested by the Red Demon
Actually, Jack in the assembly hall tells you that Arthur single-handedly defeated the Red Demon. According to the AGTP translation it was one of the Doctor's minions (presumably Misery), and according to the NICALiS translation it was the Doctor, who killed Arthur.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
HaydenStudios said:
Actually, Jack in the assembly hall tells you that Arthur single-handedly defeated the Red Demon. According to the AGTP translation it was one of the Doctor's minions (presumably Misery), and according to the NICALiS translation it was the Doctor, who killed Arthur.
Hmm...kind of makes me wonder how powerful Arthur was. But seeing as how he managed to defeat tye Red Ogre, or let alone make it above the Plantation to fight it, maybe he WAS the one who spripted the map. Maybe he traveled around the entire island so he could script it. As for the timer, i feel soneone else left it there. Besides, what would Arthur need the timer for?

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Based Member
Kiyoshi said:
But seeing as how he managed to defeat tye Red Ogre, or let alone make it above the Plantation to fight it, maybe he WAS the one who spripted the map.
Arthur didn't go to the Last Cave to confront the Red Demon, the Red Demon came to the Village whereupon Arthur drove it back. There's no in-game evidence to suggest Arthur ever ventured into the Last Cave. Here's what Jack says in the assembly hall:

In the AGTP Translation Jack said:
Toroko's brother Arthur fought against a horrific red monster... The terrible demon of this island that feasts on Mimigas. It's not the Doctor, it's...something else. That demon has lived on this island for ages. It came here to the village, but Arthur single-handedly drove it back. His gallant figure alone shielding our village from harm... I'll never forget it, as long as I live. He may have finally been killed by the Doctor, but he was a true hero.
In the NICALiS Translation Jack said:
Toroko's older brother, Arthur, fought a red ogre... This island's terrible ogre. The thing would eat Mimiga after Mimiga... This really has nothing to do with the Doctor but... The ogre has lived on this island since the old days. Arthur sent that evil beast away from our village permanently. It was so brave of him to put himself in harm's way for the sake of the island. I'll never forget it. Though Arthur was killed by the Doctor, he is still a real hero to us Mimiga.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:45 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I agree with Arthur being the one that wrote that script, but you SHOULD consider Itoh as a possible candidate too. He IS a mechanical genius y'know, considering that he built a rocket out of a sprinkler, Quote's booster, and a control module. He might of wrote that to be a little more brave.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:03 AM
"..."
GunbladeMaster34 said:
I agree with Arthur being the one that wrote that script, but you SHOULD consider Itoh as a possible candidate too. He IS a mechanical genius y'know, considering that he built a rocket out of a sprinkler, Quote's booster, and a control module. He might of wrote that to be a little more brave.

It doesn't sound like what Itoh would write...he is too much of a wimp. But we KNOW that he was at the outer wall, and possibly could have been in Mimiga Village, so there is still a decent chance that he wrote it.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:24 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Whoever wrote it wanted to escape. Maybe it was an ambiguous mimiga/human who wanted to leave the island. I don't see Arthur writing that dialogue because he has no desire to escape the island, and I don''t see Itoh writing it because he's a defeatist character.

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
*sigh*

The AGTP translation said that the Doctor himself killed him in one instance and the Doctor's goons in another. Given that the more accurate Nicalis translation referenced the Doctor only in both cases we can assume that the one that killed Arthur was the Doctor himself and that the "Doctor's goons" reference was one of a number of faults with the AGTP translation.

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I think arguably, both statements could be true. If a goon killed Arthur, it was still under the orders of the Doctor, so technically speaking the Doctor was the ultimate one who did the killing, but his servant carried out the act. Think in terms of ruthless rulers or dictators. They usually don't physically go out and kill people; they order other people to carry out the job. Yet it can be said that the ruler is the one who did the killing because he or she wanted it to be done.

This would probably hold less ground if the AGTP suggests that the "Doctor himself" killed Arthur, though from what I remember, they only say that Arthur was "killed by the Doctor" (I'm thinking Toroko's line in the Shack), so I think of the discrepancy as "the Doctor's servant did the actual killing, but the Doctor himself commanded it to be done".

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
AGTP: But he was killed by one of the Doctor's goons.
Nicalis: But he was killed by the Doctor himself.

AGTP: He may have finally been killed by the Doctor, but he was a true hero.
Nicalis: Though Arthur was killed by the Doctor, he is still a real hero to us Mimiga.

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hmm it looks like the AGTP does leave the Doctor bit ambiguous, perhaps to suggest he was nonetheless only the one who ordered the Doctor's killing but a servant did the work. The Nicalis seems to say it was just the work of the Doctor, physically yet still believable. I'm open to the fact that that could have been a mistranslation. I wanted to consider other possibilities too.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Wait, Didn't Pixel write the script?

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM
"..."
TheVirtualBoy said:
Wait, Didn't Pixel write the script?
Heh heh heh...real funny.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Professional Whatever
Pixel's Japanese. Pixel was responsible for the entire game (in its original Japanese format), AGTP was responsible for the unofficial translation.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Pixel wrote the original script, agtp carved over that, and then nicalis carved over that as well.

Kinda surprised you guys are still able to read that tbh

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM
"..."
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
Pixel wrote the original script, agtp carved over that, and then nicalis carved over that as well.

Kinda surprised you guys are still able to read that tbh
Actually it was more of this:

Pixel wrote the original script, AGTP messed up half the words, then Nicalis translated it decently

And also by "script" I think that virtualboy was referring to the writing on the Map System. And he was just making an unfunny joke because we were discussing if Arthur or someone else wrote it.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
funwillfunwill said:
Actually it was more of this:

Pixel wrote the original script, AGTP messed up half the words, then Nicalis translated it decently
am I allowed to ban him for this