Who made Quote and Curly?

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:24 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
On the tribute site, which has a caption for the image where Pixel was asked about the photo, says:
"The old man made Curly Brace (Quote)"

But, as I have said before, the Beta and the Release were completely different. Case closed.

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I would certainly say Booster could have participated in their creation considering how he responds when he first sees Quote.

I've also heard (probably unofficially) that something on the island itself might have produced them given the events of The Wind Fortress.

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Huh.
Makes sense that he doesn't say anything about that.
If that is Booster.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
edward18 said:
I've also heard (probably unofficially) that something on the island itself might have produced them given the events of The Wind Fortress.
Given they were sent "to" the island I would then under that logic question why they would ever not be on the island at any point in time to begin with if they were created there. Wind Fortress' cloning machine is just that, it creates cheap mass-produced copies of a robot. Same as with all the robot soldiers in the game besides Quote and Curly, quantity over quality.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
OREOOOOH said:
Someone said that might be Sue's Dad, might be true because he's with Momorin, but... he's old.

That doesn't stop men p:

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:53 PM
2dbro
Sue? That aint Sue, its Suu.
And that isn't Momorin either, it's Misery. (Not THAT Misery)

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM
War criminal
2DBro said:
And that isn't Momorin either, it's Misery. (Not THAT Misery)
I sure hope you mean in the top left picture. Momorin is in the bottom right picture.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
TLincoln said:
I sure hope you mean in the top left picture. Momorin is in the bottom right picture.
I sure hope that was sarcasm. I've had enough with trying to correct this thread.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
2DBro said:
I hope you aren't serious about this comment, and yet at the same time I sorta hope you are serious about it too because it's hilarious.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
...Beta pictures not canon guys...

I'm gonna try and collect more of the actual evidence, for future reference.

Didn't Cthulu say something about Quote being "a soldier from the surface"?
And when everyone is talking about the Sand Zone, Booster seems very confident that he knows where Quote is from, even that Quote is specifically an "armed scout robot":
p184411-0-gy0043k.png

p184411-1-v8pv3va.png

p184411-2-wgaagv0.png

p184411-3-xredi9y.png

p184411-4-vmpsvs4.png

...survived. He probably meant survived.

And when you talk to Kazuma he says Quote is so well built he didn't even realize Quote was a robot.

Thanks, Youtube!
( Screens from this let's play episode: youtube.com/watch?v=jLLtptieNio )

I wouldn't take this as conclusive proof that Booster helped build said robots though.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:11 PM
War criminal
Didn't in one of the translations (AG or Official, I forgot), when you talk to Kazuma he realises that Quote was robot he saw 10 years ago?

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Based Member
TLincoln said:
Didn't in one of the translations (AG or Official, I forgot), when you talk to Kazuma he realises that Quote was robot he saw 10 years ago?
Kazuma in the AGTP translation said:
So you're one of the... I hadn't even noticed. My, my, you certainly are well-built.
Kazuma in the NICALiS translation said:
You are the one from ten years ago, aren't you. I didn't realize it at all until just now. You are indeed well-made.
It indeed does seem that in the NICALiS translation, Kazuma makes an indication of having seen Quote before. I find that rather odd though, as it seems he'd have said more on the subject if he had met Quote ten years prior. If not that, then perhaps he at least knew of Quote's existence before then, but had never met him.

Still, I must say that the lines spoken in the AGTP translation make more sense to me story line-wise. This reminds me very much of the discrepancy between the translations' takes on who killed the Colon's mother:
One of the Colons in the AGTP translation said:
Our real mommies were killed by robots. We hadn't even opened our eyes yet... But Curly raised us.
That same Colon in the NICALiS translation said:
Our mother was killed by the robot. Now she's raising us.
According to GIR, the literal translation of this statement is:
"Our real mama was killed by the robot(s)." (Robot isn't specified as singular/plural here) "The one who had raised us when hadn't even opened our eyes was her."

If robot isn't specified as plural or singular in the original Japanese text of Kazuma's statement above either, then it seems that the AGTP and NICALiS translations have somewhat consistently different ways of interpreting quantity-ambiguous nouns. AGTP likes to interpret them as plural, and NICALiS seems to like to interpret them as singular. For my personal take on which is correct, I think the AGTP translation is closer to home, as the dialogue generated by its translation methods make more sense in my opinion. Still, I don't think it's perfect. I think NICALiS is right about some things, such as making the Colons' mother(s) singular rather than the AGTP translation which makes it plural, implying that they're not the quadruplets they appear to be in-game.

...I apologize for that slightly off-topic tangent, I just had a few revelations while looking that up that I thought were worth sharing.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:02 PM
2dbro
Oh yes, I'm serious about the Su, I mispelled it. D:

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:55 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I'M NOT SU

p184415-0-gdexnl9.png

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I'm not Su, I'm beautiful :chin:

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:49 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I beleive that the hermit gunsmith created quote and curly. In that beta picture, the old man reminds me alittle of hermit gunsmith...
He says nothing about knowing quote though...

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:18 AM
Perpetually out of it
I'd like to believe that the creator of Quote and Curly was a scientist who worked against the countries of the surface, his motive to end the war. Their objective was to destroy a so-called 'great power within the island' which points to either the core or the demon crown, most likely the latter.
He created them from the pieces of fallen Killer robots, but adding distinguishing features such as skin, (non-military) clothing, and most of all, minds that process emotion.
He wanted them to be more than just mindless killing robots, and to a degree he succeeded.
But at the same time, considering it's very possible Quote and Curly were indeed "mindless killing machines" before the events of the first game, that may not be the case as well.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:36 AM
War criminal
Nadojin said:
But at the same time, considering it's very possible Quote and Curly were indeed "mindless killing machines" before the events of the first game, that may not be the case as well.
It's quite possible that they were in the debugging process before they were sent to the island.

May 26, 2014 at 7:05 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I think it may be one of the humans we know from the story. But thats unlikely.