• Original

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • Plus

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 3D

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
Sep 7, 2015 at 4:53 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So, there are three official soundtracks - the original, the + soundtrack, and the 3D soundtrack.

Personally I prefer the 3D soundtrack with some exceptions (run is shit) but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:57 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
You should probably add a note that the "3D" soundtrack is the "Remastered" version that appears in CS+, while "Plus" shows up as "New" in the same manner.

The differing names will probably confuse some in the polls.

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:20 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I thought "New" was the Wii soundtrack.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:19 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I personally prefer the original soundtrack. While I do think the other soundtracks are produced better, I think the original has a quirkiness to it that's lost over time. I also have the most experience with the original game, and haven't really played the others, so that's swayed my vote as well. My close second would be the 3D soundtrack.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:32 AM
"Huzzah!"
I've a soft spot for the wiiware soundtrack. I even say it'd be the best if the drums carried the songs more effectively.

But of course, none of the other variants would exist if the original ones hadn't been made in the first place, so credit where it's due.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:39 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The 3D soundtrack (a.k.a remastered soundtrack in CS+) truly deserves the title "Remastered". Just about every single song was an improvement on the original.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:24 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I really hate the 3D soundtrack. It just doesn't sound like Cave Story at all, to me. Too "rave-y" (was never really a fan of k-wix's style of remixing to begin with).

I prefer the original, with the wiiware coming a close second.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:02 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Honestly, although Cave Story 3D may look ugly as shit, it's got by far the best soundtrack available for the game, at least for the most part, not counting songs like Balcony. I mean, just listen to these three arrangements:

(Moonsong)
(Jenka 2)
(Gestation)

Easily some of the greatest VGM remakes of all time if you ask me.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:20 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
For me, the original represents the game best, and has a unique feel. I still really dig the other soundtracks, I just think the original feels more like Cave Story.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:48 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I typically use the Original soundtrack in Story Mode, and the Plus soundtrack for Curly Story, but my favorite is Original. The Plus soundtrack just feels so empty IMO. 3D uses way too much of the same instrument, although I guess you could say that for the others.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2015 at 7:31 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The original is definitely top notch, but I hadn't really listened to the other two until I got Plus. I must say, a few of the "New" soundtrack works really well with the more slower, calming tracks like "Living Waterway" and "Balcony", and not so much for the more urgent pieces (like "Gravity" was a bit meh and "Chase" is just strange). Personally, I love the "New" renditions of "Gestation" (sorry) and "Safety". I dunno; I always found Gestation to be creepy so it was interesting to see it mixed in a more comforting way.

I played my first Plus run with the Remastered soundtrack and everything sounded all right. I guess I appreciate the "New" soundtrack for trying to do new things with the music, even if they are a hit and miss. My preference just really depends on what I feel like listening to. As much as I love the original soundtrack for being the original soundtrack, listening to it over and over again does start to become hard on the ears at times. So it's nice to see things mixed up.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:19 PM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
Like cheeser said, 3D/RM is too "rave-y". Original is best. Also +/New is WAAAAAY too quiet, it's insane. When I played the wiiware version, I had to turn my T.V. volume up triple the amount i needed for the original to match.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:29 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
When I played the wiiware version, I had to turn my T.V. volume up triple the amount i needed for the original to matc
This is most likely because of the high volume of quite some Wii games and the home menu .Beats having to lower the volume because of the wii.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM
I liked the original soundtrack the most.

the wiiware soundtrack is ok though imho.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:04 PM
Like cheeser said, 3D/RM is too "rave-y". Original is best. Also +/New is WAAAAAY too quiet, it's insane. When I played the wiiware version, I had to turn my T.V. volume up triple the amount i needed for the original to match.

I honestly found myself having to turn down the volume on my TV quite a bit while playing the Wii version, simply because of how much it totally butchered the vast majority of the game's soundtrack. And before you call me a nostalgia fanboy, let me tell you that the Wii version, believe it or not, was actually the very first version I played.

>implying there aren't others including me who have played wiiware first

Ironically, there were actually some parts that I liked about the WiiWare edition's soundtrack; it just sounded terrible (and the fact that the American version lacked the proper percussion certainly didn't help either.) For example:

NAILED:
Game Over theme
Mimiga Village
Eyes Of Flame
Labyrinth Fight
Last Battle
Running Hell
Balcony
Run!
Balrog's Theme
Seal Chamber
Quiet
Living Waterway
(12 songs)

MEDIOCRE:
Jenka 2
Last Cave
Geothermal
Charge
Life Capsule
Pulse
Egg Corridor
Meltdown 2
Moonsong
Hero's End
(10 songs)

BUTCHERED:
Plantation
Gestation
Gravity
On To Grasstown
Oppression
Scorching Back
The Way Back Home
(7 songs)

Unfortunately, although there were some definite gems here and there, more than half of it just ultimately felt like way too much of a downgrade from the old soundtrack. It's really a shame...

Cave Story 3D, on the other hand, honestly nailed just about every song in the game, as I already mentioned before. Honestly, though...who else thought that the 3D version of Moonsong sounded a little bit...too stereotypically Chinese? :mahin:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2015 at 1:59 AM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
I honestly found myself having to turn down the volume on my TV quite a bit while playing the Wii version, simply because of how much it totally butchered the vast majority of the game's soundtrack. And before you call me a nostalgia fanboy, let me tell you that the Wii version, believe it or not, was actually the very first version I played.

>implying there aren't others including me who have played wiiware first

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I voted for the original, but when I'm just listening to the music by its self I prefer to listen to 3D/remastered.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:33 PM
Off topic post
Xenoblade Chronicles

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:22 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I have very mixed opinions on the soundtracks of the games. I mostly like the original. But the Wii version of Hero's End is really good and the 3D version of Moonsong sounds incredibly epic. Those are just some examples but I like a lot of different songs in different versions so it's hard to choose.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I feel that the original Toroko's Theme and White is always gonna make me cry. (Hops abord the Weep Train).