Which is the hardest boss in Cave Story?

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I would say that Monster X is the most difficult, with the Core without the booster being the second most, and Ballos' second for being the third.

Monster X gets my vote for first, but only without the Blade. Namely on the 4th ending mod. Bloody difficult, still stuck on it T.T

The Core is second for obvious reasons. Always getting locked against the back wall and giant golf ball'd to oblivion.

Ballos' third for isn't that hard for me. Easy to not get hit by the eyes. Unless by third, people mean when he stays still and turns bloody. Even still, the spike + missiles trick solves that. The second form was always the most annoying for me. I would always land on the eye to shoot just as he starts jumping again, which would cause me to miss and hit the bats.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The Core wasn't too much different for me with or without the booster. It was still hard.
As for Ballos' second form, being accurate and fast with the booster really helps a great deal.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
IdioticBaka1824 said:
That's just... incredible.
But once you defeat Ballos' first form a few times, the rest won't be too hard.

That's what really, really annoyed me in the 4th ending. It was a tiny bit fun, though...
Well, its not too bad. I mean I am using a gamepad. Albeit once you get his tactic nailed he's a piece of cake. You will loose a bit of health against him (I did) mainly because of all the shit you have to deal with besides heavy press himself but once you get that nailed he's easy.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:56 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Makaires said:
I would say that Monster X is the most difficult, with the Core without the booster being the second most, and Ballos' second for being the third.

Monster X gets my vote for first, but only without the Blade. Namely on the 4th ending mod. Bloody difficult, still stuck on it T.T

The Core is second for obvious reasons. Always getting locked against the back wall and giant golf ball'd to oblivion.

Ballos' third for isn't that hard for me. Easy to not get hit by the eyes. Unless by third, people mean when he stays still and turns bloody. Even still, the spike + missiles trick solves that. The second form was always the most annoying for me. I would always land on the eye to shoot just as he starts jumping again, which would cause me to miss and hit the bats.
Stuck there in that mod too, the only time I died with the core though, was when I drowned.

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:48 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I don't see why everyone thinks Monster X was so difficult. I mean when I first challenged him I was all like "Y IS UR HEALFH NOT GOEN DOWN" but then his weak point opened and I'm just like "wow okay cool".

Ballos is a pain in the ass if you don't have Spur. I always have trouble defeating him if I chose Snake or Machine Gun.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
ciaxel said:
Ballos is a pain in the ass if you don't have Spur. I always have trouble defeating him if I chose Snake or Machine Gun.
Yeah, Ballos does go down pretty quick if you chose the Spur (which I normally do) and a power weapon like the Super Missile Launcher (LV3 preferably) and / or Nemesis. :sue:

Eventually, he is just a boss that once you understand how he works, becomes more of a chore to deal with. (Except the sweet "Last Battle" music (Remastered and Original) at phase three though... but that is a topic for a different thread.) ('.';)

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:24 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ballos is the hardest. That's coming from me, the Doctor. I'm a boss fight, and I still think Ballos is hard.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:35 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The_Doctor said:
That's coming from me, the Doctor. I'm a boss fight
Yeah, but you are a REALLY easy boss fight! :sue:

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM
But The Doctor gets really really tedious/annoying if it takes too long.

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:26 AM
IdioticBaka1824 said:
But The Doctor gets really really tedious/annoying if it takes too long.
All you need is the Nemesis and he dies SO FAST! :toroko2:

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM
You're right about that!

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dec 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm gonna stand by Monster X being the hardest boss. With all it's projectiles and -10 dealing treads, it's such a massive change of pace and difficulty compared to everything before then, and even after it the difficulty goes back down a bit until getting to the Sacred Grounds.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM
To tell the truth, I think the game starts getting serious from Frenzied Toroko.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah that's actually one of my least favorite things to try to do in Cave Story (to get the Alien Medal).

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'd say Monster X and Ballos. Monster X was always a tough boss for me, since it has those green goldfish projectiles and all..Core isn't all that hard to me though, I could kill it in the first or second try normally. I think Ballos was only the hardest boss for me because I build up so much tension between the beginning of Hell and the final boss, since you can't save in the middle. It isn't too hard to get to the end with full health and maxed weapons but after I walk in that door and hear that ominous music I start to panic a little on the inside, which kind of screws up my focus.

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:06 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Personally, I actually have a huge amount of trouble with the Red Demon (STILL HAVEN'T BEATEN HIM). Monster X was decently difficult for me, but I never thought it was super hard. The Core was really easy with the Super Missile Launcher.

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:06 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
DeliciousMan said:
Personally, I actually have a huge amount of trouble with the Red Demon (STILL HAVEN'T BEATEN HIM).
Don't worry, once you've battled the Red Demon a few times you'll understand how truly easy it is. Its pattern is extremely simple, and the terrain makes it so that you can sometimes block its shots if you're in the right position. It is one of the easier bosses honestly, especially since at that point you most likely have killer weapons.