Which is the hardest boss in Cave Story?

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:15 PM
inside is yello
"..."
Bmlee97 said:
The battle with the undead core, I was on the verge of tears after that. By itself its not that hard, but with Misery and Enraged Sue.. So hard. Took me at least 10 plus tries. Oh the feeling of triumph when I defeated it..

Erm, have you
tried Ballos yet, or to a greater extent Ballos preceded by Heavy Press preceded by the hardest level in the game which has no save or health restore points?

If you don't want to be spoiled, bacicly, have you gotten the best ending. (Actually that's kinda spoilers too :D)

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
No, haven't done Ballos yet, currently on the Hell levels on my second playthrough.
But I assume he is ridiculously hard.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM
inside is yello
"..."
Bmlee97 said:
No, haven't done Ballos yet, currently on the Hell levels on my second playthrough.
But I assume he is ridiculously hard.

Put it like this, if you were on the verge of tears, you are going to be sobbing after this.

And then wait 'till you try to speedrun it...

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hardest one for me always seems to be Toroko+, giant ass boulders flying at you constantly. I get killed all the time, even with a decent amount of experience (I still suck, but I've played the game several times).
I do my best to dodge flying rocks while simultaneously going to down with the Polar Star. When I do win, I narrowly escape with usually less than 10 life.
What the hell am I doing wrong?
(Apologies for the bump, it's better than a duplicate thread. Right?)

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Toroko+ was always the biggest pain during my first few runs of the game. It's not necessarily that her pattern is difficult to decipher, it's that the damage output is huge for where you are in the game and your weapon's energy will take a massive blow whenever you get hit. I'll give you a hint: take your time. Try not to get cornered and be wary of when she throws the blocks in the air. Timing is everything. Since you're fighting Toroko+ with the Polar Star, it will take a long time, even at Level 3.

Much easier with the Machine Gun, though.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've found that Level 3 Bubbler is very helpful in that fight, as it will take care of the flower babies (albeit not the blocks they're in) and will do a fairly good amount of damage when shot. The only problem is if you get hit even like twice, you drop down to Level 2, which is usually when I'll switch to the Fireball for the last time in the game.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
My first time through I had tons of trouble beating Monster X, and Ballos took me forever to beat. Toroko+ I found hard without the machine gun, definitely.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found Toroko+ pretty hard as well. Though, it can be a lot easier with the Machine Gun.
Monster X also gave me a bit of trouble.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Monster X is actually pretty easy with the Blade level 3, the only problem is not getting hit long enough to use it effectively...

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Badnik96 said:
Monster X is actually pretty easy with the Blade level 3, the only problem is not getting hit long enough to use it effectively...
Blade Level 3 is alright, sure, but man you gotta use that Blade Level 2. You can get it down so fast if you fire correctly.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:20 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I prefer level 2 blade for M.X. If you don't mind a few direct hits to the face, you can very quickly wipe out all four paw turrets, then just jump and button mash to knock him out.
The issue is that I don't use a Machine Gun. It rules out right then and there the possibility for the Snake or Spur, both of which I strongly prefer to the machine gun. I found that unloading some missiles into Toroko initially speeds up the fight, some careful Fireball maneuvers can help if the Polar gets wiped down to lvl 2..
Such a hard boss D:

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:10 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Monster X was easy for me. On Hard Mode, however, I'm still stuck on him. ; n ;
Personally, Machine Gun is my favorite weapon if I'm not going for the good ending. Machine Gun in the Bloodstained Sanctuary is so pointless since Curly's on your back and she can't fire with your rapid... firing. :I

I'm gonna have to say Toroko or maybe Ballos's FIRST form. Dunno why, having difficulties with him still.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hmmm....I'm going to have to say Monster X.

He was the first boss that really stumped me because I had no idea how to do damage to him at first. I had also sworn off all guides on my first playthrough, so it took me a good 3 hours of rage to find out how to hurt the dang thing.

The Heavy Press and Ballos were always fairly easy to me, but I actually got crushed by the Heavy Press during my first time through Hell....D;

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It took me 5 MONTHS to master killing Ballos, the first time I beat him was in Easy Mode.
I can beat the entire game in normal now.
Personally, the hardest bosses for me are none.
I nailed them all down.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I don't really have a boss that was hard for me in cave story... Maybe Ballos?
0(_)0
U
Big Guy with HUGE nose!

I made that face.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Honestly, I never found bosses to be difficult. I read up about drowning during the Core fight, but it never did happen to me until many runs later through the game. I do want to say that Ballos was pretty difficult since I purposely did not look at any guides about how to beat him. And then there was the Undead Core that I paled when I read about the number of shots flying at you, but actually experiencing it was a different story.

Hard mode in CS+ however...
Monster X and the Core were my biggest nightmares... I actually gave up for about a day or two after about 30 failed fights for each of them.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Personally, the most difficult boss was Monster X ( I have not completed the game, I am currently at the Plantation.) I think it was the confined space and forgetting the fact that being hit by the treads caused 10 damage. I usually have the problem of wanting to rush the boss while not keeping my eye on my HP until I notice that I get damaged.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:34 AM
Not to be such a RULE DUDE but you have to beat the game before joining the forums... I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING!!! or did I... O_o

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
1. By making an account and posting, we will assume that you have beaten Cave Story fully, and are at least 13 or have an equivalent maturity level. There will be unmarked spoilers regarding the game and, in some sections, swearing.
pretty sure this rule (at least the beat CS part) is because people are gonna spoiler the vanilla game and it's not really REQUIRED that you beat the game
because that's like
dumb

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I've played it so many times, it's easy, but the first time I could not beat Monster X. It's so easy, but hard if you don't know what to do. Also, the Undead Core was hard for me at the time. Ballos took 1 try.

I was weird. I never completed the game without the Spur or Booster 2.0. No walkthroughs, just accidentally finding stuff.