Which games' graphics do you dislike?

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Time to bring some negativity into this place, buwahaha.

Which games have graphics that makes you hurt to look at? Keep in mind, you can still like the game. For example: I love the Tales RPG series, but a lot of the time the graphics and animations make me want to cry (Symphonia especially, which is one of my favorite games ever) . Nothing is more laughable than casually waving your giant paw of a hand as if conversing with someone, while dramatically saying "NOOOOOO" as someone dies. Or having your feet slide across the ground while walking during a cutscene because the animation can't keep up.

I'm in a rush so I can't really think of anymore glaring examples. But shoot.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
WoW's older graphics are atrociously cartoonish, especially when compared to the new stuff running concurrently.

Cataclysm fixed a lot of it, but it's still a large leap between the expansions.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hm...can't think of any off the top of my head, but Red and Blue's Pokémon graphics were...pretty terrible, admittedly. Same goes for Green and Yellow's, there's always a few dozen sprites that make my eyes water. It's definitely not as bad as other games can get, but Gen. 1 was pretty wacky in most areas, and the sprites are no exception.

And let's not get into any glitch that isn't Missingno....

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial's graphics were a bit lacking.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:31 AM
War criminal
How about MOST pirated games?

Examples:

p173858-0-somarititlescreenshot.png

p173858-1-sonicadventure7title.png

p173858-2-pocketmonster0.png

p173858-3-copyofplayablecharacters.png

p173858-4-superdonkeykong99title.png

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:04 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I think it was MS71 story a while back was pretty awful... It would make your eye's bleed.
*EDIT* I looked through the old threads and found it. I also found out that MS71 made a better and 2nd version. When I said my previous statement, I meant his original MS71 story. Sorry for confusion.

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Ah... there was one game that actually bothered me. I mean no offense, but I literally didn't want to stomach the graphics; plus the classic music was getting to me ... D:

RunMan : Race Around the World
http://whatareyouwait.info/

Looking at it again... it looks cute, and probably lots of fun. But, I just remember how I felt while playing it last D;

Oh, and Space Funeral... that RPGmaker game had some weird graphics...
Cool in its unique way, but... not my preference.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/14/space-funeral/

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Randolf said:
I don't like the graphic style of GTA San Andreas in some ways, but it's still playable... Some things look just... Bleh. Vice City had better graphics in my opinion.
*sits calmly in roofless low-rider as it grinds across 50 feet of pavement upside down*

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I can't really remember any graphics in a game outright annoying me just for being bad, but what does irk me is when a game farts out a modern retro-style pixelated mess because the artist can't do any better. Even worse is when there are particle/light effects added that are impossible on a machine way back then, making the whole thing look horribly forced.

A retro style is allright on it's own, but it needs to match with the theme of the game.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Bubsy the bobcat had some "Not so good" Graphics.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Parkraft123 said:
Bubsy the bobcat had some "Not so good" Graphics.
You spelled "Bubsy 3D" wrong

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Noxid said:
You spelled "Bubsy 3D" wrong
OPPS. How could I forget that horrible abomination of man kind????
Still, bubsy the bobcat: claws encounters of the furred kind were still not that good.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Can't stand the way Terraria looks, s'a fun game, but it just looks off.

Also Cave Story 3d looks awful. Especially if you've seen the fucking beautiful concept art.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Also Cave Story 3d looks awful. Especially if you've seen the fucking beautiful concept art.
I can't believe I didn't think of that before, you're absolutely right. If I'm not mistaken, the majority actually really like CS3D's graphics, but I'm not really all that sure why. Putting the game in the 2D mode (or whatever it's called) is better, but only because the original art is vastly superior.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I honestly like Terraria's graphics, but they could be better. They will be since Terraria's getting a big update on Oct. 1. Supposedly bigger then the 1.1 update. (Which I remember being huge and expansive)

I seriously need to try and get my hands on a CS3D copy... It's been on my "to get game list" for like, 2 years and I still have not gotten it. (I heard from someone that it was discontinued, but I hope not) I like how CS looks, but I'm probably biased. About the concept art though... I honestly hate the North America Cave Story concept art, but love the Japan Cave Story 3DS concept art. I did see how Mimiga village looked and it looked pretty nice, it's just some of the models I'm iffy with.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Rubyyoshi said:
I honestly like Terraria's graphics, but they could be better. They will be since Terraria's getting a big update on Oct. 1. Supposedly bigger then the 1.1 update. (Which I remember being huge and expansive)

I do too, I think they're pretty neato. Maybe people think it's eh because of the cartoony style on all the characters? (big noses)
I am pretty darn pumped for the update myself. Goodbye what little life I had before

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:11 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I have a computer that can run it without bluescreeninhg now and I can't wait
------
I haven't liked any of minecraft's new textures from 1.3 on. They just all seem to be worse than they used to.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:18 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I just always disliked it. I can't give a detailed and good explanation that goes beyond, when I see it I just don't like it and it seems ugly. Though I can definitely say the character's and their 2d Final Fantasy battle sprite style bothers me as it doesn't seem to fit with any of the game's other art assets.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Well I really hate bloom lighting, I think pre-2005ish era graphics are a lot nicer to look at than lots of stuff from this gen. It sorta lost its charm and just hit this wall where it can't look much more real but just gets harder and harder to run.

It really depends on the game, but stuff like BF3 with that ridiculous bloom and grainy blue filter over everything makes my eyes want to bleed.

Also I think Wind Waker HD looks atrocious, anyone agree?