When you buy a game and get something different.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Okay so, you ever buy a game, and you already have this idea what it'll be like from what you've seen in commercials about it, or from previous installments, and the game ends up being completely different?

It's kinda like how a large chunk of people reacted to Super Paper Mario or Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. Even when these games are totally good by their own merits, it's hard to convince someone who had hoped to experiance something and got something different to change their mind.

On occaision this happens to you with no real problem, "like how alot of people really liked Rayman Origins even though it was made out to be a big adventure with tons of story and not the speed based game it is" so I gotta wonder. Just when is this okay to do?

Tell me a time when you bought a gae expecting something from it and go something completely different, and tell me under what circumstances you think it's okay to do this in.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I bought Borderlands and it was nothing like I expected.

I felt like the trailer was more exciting... but I haven't played too much of it yet.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Once I bought a game, but then it turned out to be a movie. It was a pretty good movie though, so it wasn't all bad. The movie's title was "Metal Gear Solid 4".

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Not anymore
I bought a game and it turned out to be a picture slideshow.

Katawa Shoujo: Act 1 Uncensored

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Final Fantasy 4. I had no idea about the sort of real time battle system until I got it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I was expecting Metroid: Other M to be really shitty, but I got it and it was surprisingly well designed and responsive. The controls worked well and I enjoyed it start to finish. The story was not up to par, but then again the same is true with Borderlands 1 and 2 Skyrim, Oblivion, etc., but those get rave reviews for gameplay alone.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
La-Mulana... I knew people said it would be harsh but...christ.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM
Not anymore
I don't see why you would go for the paid version of La Mulana when you hadn't even tried the free version.

I think La Mulana is actually easier than IWBTG. Unlike IWBTG and oh... WTF STORY *cough* *cough* it's not that unreasonable at most points in the game.
However, that one invisible ladder... argh!!!

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:48 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Paper Mario: Sticker Star. I thought it was going to be a good game (AKA: Measure up to the others). I'll elaborate later.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Not anymore
WTF Story normal mode isn't hard at all. But it is for Woodenrat (he said so). And many others.
Also, WTF Story 1HP minimal items isn't very easy.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Watching Youtube walktrough/gameplay will solve this problem.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Is not hard as much as it is frustrating.

I thought the same thing of super meat boy. Not as hard as the people say.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Getting Pokèmon Emerald and thinking it was going to be easy.

Where is that goddamn gym.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Buy games only judging by it's cover. I did it twice, one was very fun the other was idiotic. No expectations no disappointment lol

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:30 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Im on a mac and had no interest in researching a thousand ways to be able to run la-mulana on mac. I got the wii version.
Also though hard initially I Wanna Be The Guy becomes a lot easier once you figure out a rythm, its trial and error.
Whereas La-mulana is stressful on my mind, I dont use guides so its a bunch of incredibly vague puzzles that put my mental abilities to the test. As a game Its not that hard, but its puzzles are maddening. WTF story was never difficult to me, has never been difficult to me, will never be difficult for me.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Not anymore
DeceasedCrab's La Mulana Let's Play drove me mad. I tried to follow it and made all the idiotic mistakes that he accidentally did on his run.

I stopped using all guides, and La Mulana was way easier. I think the same goes for IWBTG.

I don't think WTF Story has a full let's play unless you count the lame one with no audio commentary that some idiot on YouTube made (me). Therefore, you kind of have to beat it without a guide. At least until recently.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Yah... I love watching DeceasedCrab as a lets-player but I think I would hate him as a guide.

Actually Im considering doing some lets plays, and considering you didnt do commentary on yours I think Im going to do a WTF Story lets play.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Not anymore
I can comment now. I have a mic now.

However, I won't be doing the same WTF Story (regular run) because it's boring to do the same set of videos twice on YouTube.

Therefore I am working on...
WTF Story with Portal Gun (a.k.a. easy mode)
WTF Story with 1HP Minimal Items (a.k.a. Fuck you GIR mode)