When is Cave Story?

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
When does this all take place cave story and all?

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM
When does cave story take place

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
August 16th and 17th, 1994

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I see... btw mynameismatt where is the link for that CS mod with the leap of faith *laughs*

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
On a serious note, I'm fairly sure Cave Story has to take place in some alternate dimension, a few dozen or maybe hundred years in the future. Or maybe it's actually our dimension, I'm not sure...

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
deltaeon said:
I see... btw mynameismatt where is the link for that CS mod with the leap of faith *laughs*
And I repeat myself,

What?

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:12 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
No it's not

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Been here way too long...
Cave Story happens some time after Pixel's daughter was born #canon

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
On a serious note the larger question on whether Cave Story is in our future or past (alternate timelines or not) or exists in a Pseudo-Earth situation of which our planet may contextually not exist (similar to with many fantasy novels) has been debated to death. Either way we have no idea about the current year in Cave Story. The date on the "wife bore child" message is useless because even if you take that as canon as a date that occurs before the events of Cave Story (which wouldn't tell you much anyway) because if I recall the year in that date is in two digit format so you can apply those digits to the end of any century to get a possible year, making the current year so utterly variable that you might as well pick a random number and call that your year. Pixel would quite happily tell us to leave it to our imaginations when asked, though you are welcome to try.

So no year for you. Though I fail to see why you would need to know as it isn't relevant to anything. If you plan to make a mod or fanfic then just refer to the year in a relative fashion such as "X years ago" since this is how Cave Story dates events.

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Well, if it were to be in our dimension, it'd have to be far enough in the future for three things:
1. Rabbits become Bipedal creatures.
2. Chunks of land to leave earth yet be trapped in earths gravity well
3. Humanity inventing robots that weaponize incredibly hightech weaponry.

There's a small window (In perspective of thousands of years) where Humanity still has to be alive, yet there need to be drastic changes in Earth.

1. The problem with this, is the fact that basic evolutions take millions of years, let alone bipedal creatures developing language. This could be chalked up to mutation due to an outside factor, (gene splicing, small doses of radiation, forced natural selection due to new environmental circumstances, etc.) Yet that'd still take hundreds of years for the Mimiga to be a 100% sentient life-form.

This variable will be represented as M

Answer 1: Anywhere between 100-1500 years in the future natural evolution is discounted due to humanity probably being extinct before they naturally become sentient creatures with language.

2. I don't even know how to approach this, this idea seems so abstract scientifically, that an explanation is almost inconceivable. So I'm going to make assumptions:
Assumption 1: The chunk of land floating through the sky is part of the earth due to a mining related disaster to explain the water canals and cave systems that look man made. (+35 years)
Assumption 2: Judging from images of pre-Cave Story Island's orbit, it appears to be in the earth's atmosphere, fair enough as there wouldn't be any life on it if it weren't for Earth's atmosphere.

Assumption 3: To give a bit of lee-way, the island straddles the equator, at 42'000 feet.

Assumption 4: The Island orbit's earth in a perfect circular orbit at this 42'000 foot orbit,

Assumption 5: The island's acceleration is equal to 0.

So to acquire this orbit we'd have to use the equation v = root(G(M+m))/r Which equates to v=root(Mu)/radius, which leads to our next assumption:

Assumption 6: Mu, (GM+Gm) must equate to the standard gravitational parameter of earth, (398, 600.44189) coupled with the 42000 feet in the air, makes r= 20'945'520 ft. or 3966.9545m. or the number we'll use, to match Mu's use of metric unit that I'm too lazy to convert, 6384.1944km

This makes our new equation v=root(398,600.44189km(cubed)/s(to the power of -2)/6384.1944km) ... (v = (631.34811km(squared)/s(-2)/79.90115km) ... (v = 7.9016km/(s-2)) the equivalent of (0.01601km/s*3600 = 57 km/hr) fitting as things are sucked directly to the walls on the outside walls a bunch of math later I found the orbit of an object this size at this distance is 29 days.

Assumption 7: This 29 day orbit is 100% stable outside of Ballos and core.

Now, before the doctor there were 3 other kings, which leads to-

Assumption 8: There were three generations before (10 years ago.) Ballos era, King 1, and King 2. (+10)

Assumption 9: Each generation is equal to 1258 orbits, (Or 100 years in our time) due to the theory of Gravitational Time Dilation. (29*1258=100 years per generation.) (This is just a rough estimation, I'm not actually going to do the Time Dilation Equation) (+300) (+/-15 years for leeway)

This estimation will be represented as I

Answer: 330-360 years

3. a)Now, laser technology and robots are not far off as we speak, but from what I can tell, laser weaponry seems nigh-impossible, because if you missed, it would just keep going until it hit something, because it's light. And the amount of energy required to blast matter in such a concentration, that it becomes such that of pure energy or near energy, the energy required can be represented by this equation:

EIU<ER<Infinity

EIU = Total energy in universe at man's disposable use.

ER = Energy required for this sort of weapon.

Infinity = Uncalculatable value

Luckily, we can discount the spur and the snake as bullshit, the flamethrower as a flamethrower, the bubbler as a bubble blower, and the rocket launcher as a rocket launcher, in the real-life canon we make, the Snake and Spur don't exist.

"But guy, how do we know what the machine gun and polar star are?" I was getting to that, the polar star and machine gun are railguns (weapons that take a projectile made of metal, and use magnets to project the projectile at massive speeds.

Here's a diagram:

-|+-|+-|+-|+-|+-|+

+>><><><><><><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<|

-|+-|+-|+-|+-|+-|+

This same use of magnets is how scientists are trying to make a perpetual motion machine.

These all can be made today so (+0 years)

b) Robots, I already told this but there are three generations of robots seen in Cave Story

1) Massive, clumsy robots with an unknown purpose (Balrogs)

2) More humanoid, but still very primitive (Core room robots)

3) Quote and Curly. (Incredibly advanced machines that have passed the threshold into android territory.)

Now, just like with synthesizers and computers, in repeating gaps, you can see them get smaller and smaller, (1950's computer is massive, 1980's small box, 2010's they're in phones and tablets.) (1960's Moog Synth is this massive box with knobs, 1980's they're size of computers, 2000's they are on a small processor)

So to estimate the time I had to research robots.

1954: First fully autonomous programmable robot "UNIMATE" made.

2009: Numerous autonomous programmable humanoid robots showcased at IREX Tokyo

So at this rate of 55, let's keep this pattern going.

2054: Theodore Baxford unveils fully autonomous robot, the Baxford Locomotive Utilizing Realtime Programming (BALROG, for short) at IREX London

2109: United Emirates of America's Military is shown to be in possession of humanoid robots.

Answer: So, from this awesome timeline, it's safe to assume Quote and Curly were made (10 years ago.) However the shocking jump from programmed soldiers to androids makes me think there's multiple steps inbetween the Core Room Robots. regardless, this adds a baseline of 185 years in the future.

This estimation is represented by R.

So now here's the equation I'll use to represent this date.

When (T) requires humanity's survival to atleast (10 years ago) 185 years in the future, to account for R(obot) factor.

T + R > 2198 C.E.

However, the next factor, I(sland) factor, requires 331-359 years in the future, if it were to begin right now. This has to happen after the next factor M(imiga) as there's no other explanation as to why they're on the island.

It's also safe to assume the melatonin red flowers are made by man, unknowingly conflicting with the spliced mimiga.

So the new equation is T + R > I + M or T > I + M - R

T > (330>360) + (330<1500) - 185

As you can see, this creates an irrationality in I where the floor value is larger than the roof value in order for the value to be either floor or roof value, so I'll need to add +/- after, to stabilize.

T > 345 + (330<1500) - 185

Now I subtract R from M's floor and roof.

T> 345 [|(345<M<1315) + (<970)]

The addition of M is conditional, as the addition only happens if the value is above I.

This makes the Sum 330<T<1315

We still haven't added ten years. so +10 universal

340<T<1325

Now to make it a year

2'353<T<3'338

If the events leading to Cave Story happened now.

It'd be Cave Story O'Clock somewhere 2353 and 3338.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
And I repeat myself,
I checked out your youtube channel and I wanted to know where that link was for that cave story mod where when you go out of the first room and the next room is called "leap of faith"

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
However I believe in the Pseudo-Earth theory.

1. Ironhead throws a spanner into the mix, because his world has species more in common with our world than Cave Story's world.
2. All instances of "Earth" in the script were actually "surface" in the Japanese script.
3. It's impossible for a Rabbit to become a Mimiga through evolution without millions of years of being stripped of their natural defenses, and that is impossible under the laws of evolution through natural selection. Evolution is a large series of minor changes at birth that must benefit the recipient in the short term rather than the long term for that change to be fed back into the gene pool and towards evolution on a larger scale.

Also the man made stuff on the island would be due to the Human occupants that resided on the island before most of them were killed during the red flower war some ten years ago. It would only have been added to the island between the second and third bearer's reigns.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Wow thank you for sharing all of this I never this a whole lot of thought but it gave me a bit to think about.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM
War criminal
I honestly believed it took place in 12/21/22, because of the chaotic war that happened 10 years prior to the story.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
deltaeon said:
I checked out your youtube channel and I wanted to know where that link was for that cave story mod where when you go out of the first room and the next room is called "leap of faith"
That'd be my mod. It's called The Great Awakening. You could find it by searching that or looking at my topics.

And also the version mynameismatt was playing was slightly outdated.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
@half-life213: You forgot that between Ballos' imprisonment and the events of Cave Story we went from an Absolute Monarchy to an Authoritarian Government. This would suggest that if the events of Cave Story did occur in our future then society would have taken a major backwards step along the way. Unless of course Ballos' Kingdom was Brunei, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Swaziland, the UAE, or Vatican City, but that is unlikely because it doesn't explain the 150+ year gap in your figures. Of course on the flipside you'll have to account for an unknown event that reverts society at any point in our future, and the time it takes to bring us back to a monarchy-based system.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:29 AM
@Andy, Ahh, that slipped my mind, BUT, it does make sense that all this takes place in the Middle-East, because soldiers were deployed there, and the island has to be at the equator for assumption #3 to work, and Middle Eastern lands are currently the scapegoat, so I wouldn't say that it's set back that far.

@Andy, Ahh, that slipped my mind, BUT, it does make sense that all this takes place in the Middle-East, because soldiers were deployed there, and the island has to be at the equator for assumption #3 to work, and Middle Eastern lands are currently the scapegoat, so I wouldn't say that it's set back that far.