What would you want in a Kero Blaster sequel?

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:27 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This is just a thread to get some discussion going about Kero Blaster, now Pixel isn't usually the kind to directly make sequels to his games, but just as a hypothetical, what would you want in a sequel (or prequel) to Kero Blaster?

How could Pixel improve on the formula?

What changes would you want made to what exists?

How would you like to see the world in Kero Blaster, Pink Hour, and Pink Heaven expanded upon?

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:52 AM
"Huzzah!"
for game mechanics, checkpoints in later levels would be nice, maybe after defeating the miniboss or something, or hell, even something like celeste, where you have no lives or HP and respawn at the beginning of the room instantly. i know they're relatively short levels, but especially in hardmode being sent right back to the beginning after losing all your lives to some instakill obstacle is really disheartening imo, and one of the reasons i haven't finished it.

as for story elements, it would be cool to maybe have a prequel where you play as president cat lady i forgot her name as you see her in the flashbacks? expand a bit on her past or something.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:22 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
as for story elements, it would be cool to maybe have a prequel where you play as president cat lady i forgot her name as you see her in the flashbacks? expand a bit on her past or something.
Wow finally Mugeneko

I would imagine a game expanding on why C&F is a thing would be cool, maybe with Naonao's bizarre adventure to take down oxox corp and she uses business supplies as weapons or something.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:24 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
president cat lady i forgot her name
Barack Obama

Honestly though, should there be another Kero Blaster game, or at least a Pink spinoff, I'd love to see more of the world the three games take place in. Maybe there can be a game with Sasuke in it, that can finally become an excuse for Pixel to include Ame like in the original Gero Blaster builds.

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:48 AM
"Huzzah!"
I would like a variety of weapons with different uses and not have them be beneficial in many areas (ex. fireball which seems to lose all purpose after sandzone, or the flamethrower from Kero blaster which gets one last punch in at the end of normal mode) I also agree with maybe more backstory on oxox inc and stuff, I'd be nice. But what I really want is a little better of a hard mode, not saying it was bad it was just kinda stupid.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:06 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I wonder, does Zangyou make use of the unused Death Beam weapon? Maybe that can make a good ultimate weapon for the sequel.

Apr 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I wonder, does Zangyou make use of the unused Death Beam weapon? Maybe that can make a good ultimate weapon for the sequel.
No, and no.
Zangyou doesn't add unlockables, but instead requires mastery of what you already had while slowly introducing new enemies and bosses into the mix. The assumption that it's just a hard mode is mostly correct and is only subverted when you get out of the train level and the game does a complete face-heel, being a completely original stage instead of the offices, with new cutscenes and story. The player themself remains unchanged.
Also, flat out just doing 9999 damage every shot would likely not be a good weapon for a sequel or rather any game IMO.

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:34 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
for game mechanics, checkpoints in later levels would be nice, maybe after defeating the miniboss or something, or hell, even something like celeste, where you have no lives or HP and respawn at the beginning of the room instantly. i know they're relatively short levels, but especially in hardmode being sent right back to the beginning after losing all your lives to some instakill obstacle is really disheartening imo, and one of the reasons i haven't finished it.

can i just second, third and fourth this suggestion? maybe its because i suck at videogames (the most likely scenario) but i'm on the final level right now and the only thing giving me trouble is getting used to the boss' patterns. but i hate having to go through the entire long-ass level over again because i died to that boss. and i just know there's gonna be a 3rd phase or something, and i just started to do well on the second phase so i'm probably gonna have to deal with more of this.

i appreciate how long the levels get after a while because they never fail to interest me, but after about 3 or so repeat runs through the level, its gets stale. its like i'm just going through the motions at this point. the game already has a halfway point at the shop, at least start me back there. a lot of arcade games with kero blaster's aesthetic and design philosophy tended to have them, so i don't see why kero blaster couldn't.

other than that, a full pink hour game would be nice. or as eli said, a backstory to the president. we could play as her back when she was a worker.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Here's some ideas

Elaboration on story, not a deep detailed story like cave story, but I do want a little more story saturation.

Weapon overhaul, yeah, the weapons in the first game were really good don't get me wrong, but I need new ones, I don't want to find a single old weapon in the sequel!

An endgame sort of open world thing. Hear me out, you know how you can revisit all the old levels in omake mode? Well what if you had more freedom where before the end of the game you can go to any level and uncover secrets, just like cave story but this doesn't need multiple endings, that's not what Kero Blaster is.

Maybe a portion of a level could have an auto scrolling level but instead of a boss, it's just a normal level where you have to deal with enemies and outrun a thing that is chasing you thus the reason there is an auto scroller. Like kero blaster with quick action instead of careful thought out things, just for a change of pace.

Apr 16, 2023 at 6:55 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'll make this short and sweet.
Everything from the "Gero Blaster" stage of development.

Apr 16, 2023 at 6:26 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I've always had a pipe dream of me making a sequel mod for Kero Blaster. (...of course, any motivation of actually doing that was dashed once I figured out how to mod CSE2 lol)

What I would've done for a Kero Blaster sequel is:
  • Make it more open-ended, rather than a series of linear levels
    • Specifically, i was thinking of a sort of parody of games like Zelda 2 and Castlevania II, where checkpoints throughout the game would be found in the form of unique villages filled with wacky characters
  • Keeping with the Castlevania II influence, it would have a day/night cycle that mainly serves to switch up the gameplay every once in a while by introducing day-exclusive or night-exclusive enemies. (Ideally you wouldn't be locked out of the story while it's night either, *cough cough* Castlevania II *cough cough*)
  • The player would also be able to find treasures hidden in the levels (à la Kirby Super Star's Great Cave Offensive mode), some of which could only be found in the day or at night
  • The variety of items the player could purchase from shops would be greatly increased, resembling a stripped-down RPG equipment system. Ideas I had include a lucky tie that increases the amount of money dropped from enemies, as well as items that would have to be obtained for certain quests
  • The story would have been about Cat & Frog Inc. going on a company vacation (no, the Zangyou mode trip wasn't a vacation, it was a business trip). However, the vacation goes horribly wrong when the company helicopter is mysteriously shot down above the destination island, scattering everyone and forcing you to go look for them.