What Would Be Cool to See In Either a Re-Release or a Sequel to CS!

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:08 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
This topic is discussed to death especially with newer members. It gets a bit tedious and a few of us don't like to discuss it repeatedly since the topic already brings up negative feelings about cash grabbing and remakes.

I'd rather get another game than another copy of cave story. Maybe they should make something simple again like with night sky.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
As I said before, while a direct sequel would never work out, a prequel would work, as would a spin-off (same world, mostly unrelated story and characters). Though I am personally all for Pixel making original titles such as Gero Blaster.

Pixel has answered on his BBS probably 500+ times by now that he is not planning a sequel. I don't know how he can stand being asked the same question over and over or where he gets his patience from, but I would have figured that one maybe in the sea of nos that have appeared since then would mean no to some people.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:06 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I really think that both he and the forums should just put a big banner across the front page saying "A SEQUEL ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN"

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'll attempt to keep my thoughts brief:

Although it's been pointed out why they shouldn't make more remakes and stuff, I'd like to view it from Pixel's and NiC's perspective: NiC has released many remakes/ports/things on the game. Although it was good in getting the word out and spreading the game, making it live a bit longer than just what Pixel would/could do, it's definitely to that point where they have to let it be and move on to other games.

And from Pixel's view: I honestly think he's sick of it a little, and definitely not giddy for a sequel like you had described it. With the countless BBS requests for a sequel/prequel/release of the beta, I remember in close verbatim that he once said that he wanted to "move on to other things". I can't blame him, in his shoes I would want to try new things as well.

This may be just my broken thinking, but I assume that NiC' and Pix' want to go somewhere new, and some older members along with myself want to go there as well.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:16 AM
War criminal
All we have to do is dream, or pick up the programming guide book and make a sequel for ourselves. Nonetheless, we must appreciate Pixel's other works.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM
I don't anymore.
TLincoln said:
All we have to do is dream, or pick up the programming guide book and make a sequel for ourselves. Nonetheless, we must appreciate Pixel's other works.
Why make a sequel or even base something in someone else's world for that much effort when it would be so much more satisfying to make your own? Practice is always nice but a good game based off of your own idea is better than a good game based on someone else's idea.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Why make a sequel or even base something in someone else's world for that much effort when it would be so much more satisfying to make your own? Practice is always nice but a good game based off of your own idea is better than a good game based on someone else's idea.
So by your logic fanart is automatically bad because it's fanart? I see nothing wrong with someone wishing to work within a world they fell in love with, regardless of the end result.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Based Member
NICALiS has pretty much exhausted Cave Story. We've had lots of ports. Do we really need another one? If NICALiS really feels like they need to make yet another release, though, then... What I wanted a year ago from the next Cave Story port still stands:

HaydenStudios said:
Honestly, the thing I want from an official port that hasn't been delivered yet and probably never will be is a release from NICALiS of Cave Story that is as polished and thoroughly debugged as the original Cave Story itself. Whenever I just want to play Cave Story for the sake of playing Cave Story, I play the original. Why? Not just because of the AGTP translation, but another thing. Just by playing the original Cave Story, I can tell that Pixel took his sweet little time in perfecting every detail, and fixing every last bug he found. Since he was able to release the original on his own watch, there were no deadlines. He could simply keep debugging it and not release it until everything was perfect. Unlike commercial games that have bugs that the developers most likely are aware of, but didn't have time to fix due to deadlines. Now I can really sympathize that, actually. Not just because I understand the train of thought, but because I've experienced something very much like that myself. I once made a game in Game Maker, and due setting a deadline for it, I kept having to cut more and more corners, and leave a TON of bugs in it. And really, the end product was pretty ugly for anyone outside the targeted audience. However, honestly. NICALiS' releases of Cave Story are far more buggy than any commercial game I've ever played aside from Big Rigs Over the road racing. I have a bit of a prejudice toward NICALiS due to all of their releases that are significantly more buggy than the original Cave Story. Now I'm not saying that the original was absolutely completely beyond a shadow of doubt perfect and without even one single tiny little glitch, but it was very, very close to that. All their releases (even Cave Story+) are so buggy, that it would really be worth pushing the release date. Some like the Wiiware version were so bad that it got patched, but even after that, it wasn't really perfect. And don't even say that this is just because NICALiS is a small company. Rayman Origins was developed by a relatively small team unless I am much mistaken. It was originally going to come out December 2010. However, its release date was pushed to November 2011 (admittedly not to further polish it, but rather scrapping the idea of releasing the game episodically). And I've got to say, the final product is one of the most polished games I have ever played.

TL;DR

What I want to see in later ports of Cave Story is for it to be thoroughly debugged to the point where it does the original Cave Story justice, unlike all of NICALiS' other releases.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
This thread was made just my response to the possibility of CS+ physical port, and to see if anyone had something that would make the game worth buying again since many of the re-releases really were not worth the money because they were mainly just small changes to the already great Original CS which was free.

I am sorry to whom ever was upset by this...

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I don't anymore.
andwhyisit said:
So by your logic fanart is automatically bad because it's fanart? I see nothing wrong with someone wishing to work within a world they fell in love with, regardless of the end result.
A drawing or piece of music is different than a full expansion of the game's universe with several pieces of art and music.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I agree with you, Hayden. I would really like it if they could "figure out how to credit a fan translation" so that they could use the proper translation rather than their "official" one. That and maybe an extra something may encourage people spend even more on this game... Also how are the other ports buggy? I only know of the achievement bug for CS+...

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have to wonder, why do you keep putting the sarcasm around 'official'? Last I heard, the NICALiS ports are full canon. There's no sarcasm to go about it, even if the other translation is superior.

On a more related subject, I don't really think you can get much better than CS+, even with the bugs there - the amount of added features more than make up for it, personally. If anything, I'd settle for some sort of prequel telling the story of the previous crown holders. That's never something that was really elaborated upon, was it?

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Professional Whatever
QuoteSan said:
proper translation
Since when has a fan-made translation of the original game the "proper translation"? You can't just say it's right because it came first and you have a sense of nostalgia for it. In this case the official translation is the proper translation because it is the official translation. Don't get me wrong, I like the aeon genesis translation more, but that doesn't mean that there needs to be any bullcrap about getting credit to use that translation when they already have their own that works for them

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM
War criminal
MagicDoors said:
Since when has a fan-made translation of the original game the "proper translation"? You can't just say it's right because it came first and you have a sense of nostalgia for it. In this case the official translation is the proper translation because it is the official translation. Don't get me wrong, I like the aeon genesis translation more, but that doesn't mean that there needs to be any bullcrap about getting credit to use that translation when they already have their own that works for them
^This.

The newer fans of Cave Story probably haven't even heard of Balrog's "Huzzah" until they come to this forum.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM
All right, I am giving up my personal opinion because that seems to be what you guys want. And the fan translation was approved by Pixel to be accurate but you guys can believe what you want because I really don't give a sh*t anymore. It is not like anything I say matters.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Professional Whatever
Stop being a little baby. Just because someone gives evidence against your ideas doesn't mean you get to throw a hissy fit. These forums aren't for smashing your beliefs or ideas, they're for providing discussion and giving arguments. If you can't take even that then don't post.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
QuoteSan said:
And the fan translation was approved by Pixel to be accurate but you guys can believe what you want because I really don't give a sh*t anymore. It is not like anything I say matters.
How could he know this? Pixel's English is pretty bad. And for your information it really isn't. The AGTP translation had quite a number of mistakes and inconsistencies.

The official translation is more accurate, but the AGTP translation is better written. That's the heart of the matter.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Pixel approved the fan translation? I thought the official translation was called official because Pixel was directly associated with it.

And if anything, translation is a subjective matter as much as it is objective. From what I hear anyways, the official translation gives a more literal account of the original text in Cave Story. That makes it "correct", in a sense, because it more closely follows the word for word, but that doesn't mean the AGTP isn't right because it gets to be more "free" in its translation. The point is, whichever version you play, it still has the heart of Cave Story in it. Play either one and it still follows the the same idea, same story, just presented in a different way. Minus the details, mind you.

A little off topic question that has to do with translation: is the AGTP translation the only English version of Cave Story that is freeware (all official translations require payment)?

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:50 AM
MagicDoors said:
Stop being a little baby. Just because someone gives evidence against your ideas doesn't mean you get to throw a hissy fit. These forums aren't for smashing your beliefs or ideas, they're for providing discussion and giving arguments. If you can't take even that then don't post.
I am not angry because people are against what I think. I just don't understand the straight-up rude comment *cough cough* coming from the comments of this thread. There is a difference between having a discussion and attacking the person *cough cough* just because they want to have a simple discussion on something that has been apparently talked about already. Sorry if you feel that I am being quote " a little baby" and "having a hissy fit". And by the way, from some of these comments, yes it does seem that some people on this forum do like to quote "smash my ideas". :(

I am fine if I am wrong, but at least be decent about it and not down right mean *cough cough*