What was the Story of Cave Story Beta

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Now I'm even more intrigued about it... -_-'

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:20 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
There's a beta remake that (was) worked on by TildeRain, he's got himself preoccupied with other things, you can learn more about the beta remake by sifting through the wayback machine.
There was an asset dump a long time ago that nobody was able to get, so all we know are the filenames.

The beta info page on the website is very lackluster considering what we have today, be it shitty drawings of sue or translations of text in the game and in concept art.

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:42 PM
Stoned Member
An asset dump?
Ooo show me.
None of the files from said asset dump exist anymore. There are a few images drawn by pixel that we know about but I forgot what they were called.

The asset dump's page was called "Janks" or something like that.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:52 AM
Not sure what file names are gonna get you in terms of info tbh

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:12 AM
If you're talking about the address for the remake then that makes a lot more sense. The remake sounds interesting to play actually. Though it probably doesn't run on Mac, just like 99% of other software on Earth.
Otherwise not sure what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 2:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:05 PM
Stoned Member
Well...if you count Oscar as Misery,there was no real misery
Misery did exist, her earlier design is seen in one of the credits arts, and her sprite can be seen in the boss room for the final boss in the form of a statue.

Apr 25, 2021 at 10:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
my theory is, Curly brace (Quote) was send to the island to investigate about Mimigas, the demon crown (or something like that because idk if in the beta the crown exists) and those soap bars creatures, and maybe rescue Su from the island, because if we see the beta images of the credits where Su and Curly appear with that professor and the girl, I can think that Su is someone important to the professor or it may be a creation of him since Su is a very different mimiga from others.

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:16 PM
"Huzzah!"
my theory is, Curly brace (Quote) was send to the island to investigate about Mimigas, the demon crown (or something like that because idk if in the beta the crown exists) and those soap bars creatures, and maybe rescue Su from the island, because if we see the beta images of the credits where Su and Curly appear with that professor and the girl, I can think that Su is someone important to the professor or it may be a creation of him since Su is a very different mimiga from others.
The Demon Crown did not exist in the beta, and I don't think Su- was created by the professor, but I do think the rest of your theory makes sense.

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:17 PM
Stoned Member
Based on more recent info that's been spreading around... The story as we know it is:
There's some mimiga named Su, she knows there's an outside and wants to see it. She doesn't seem to have any relevance aside from that arc from what I gather.
There's a soap named Puu, he's a jerk and eats mimiga, you need to stop him.

Curly had almost no relevance in the story itself whatsoever aside from being there to drive things forward, as far as I can tell. We don't even know if the professor is a character since there's no screenshots or info that really confirm this whatsoever, it could just be a scrapped idea that pixel drew for one of those ending screenshot ideas. But I have a suspicion he eventually became Itoh.

The locations a tad later in the game, assuming grasstown the thicket and sand zone are in the same order as they are in the final game, are what had the better storytelling parts, so this would be around the balcony where the game

It's starting to look like Pixel didn't exactly scrap as much from the beta as we thought, but rather just redid the earlier sections of the game and cleaned up the later sections, because the stuff in the later sections of the beta seem to resemble content that exists in the final game more and more. The only part of the content that was cut that truly matters is the frog kingdom because that was actually a full on story segment that was probably replaced by the Labyrinth, which I guess I don't mind, Monster X is hands down the coolest fucking design in the entire game so I say it's a fair trade.

Areas sprawled out more and it just seems that what little story was there was alot more shallow than what the final game had.

tl;dr : The beta was alot more Cave than Story

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:23 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Monster X is hands down the coolest fucking design in the entire game
Rest in peace, Lillin.

With it being more Cave than Story, I wonder if Pixel had the intent of having the player make up the story, themself. Would unironically make a good machinima, tbh.

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:44 PM
Stoned Member
I think Pixel just didn't know how to write a story when he first started working on CS, and used his experience working on the game to learn how to do so.

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:50 PM
"Huzzah!"
I think Pixel just didn't know how to write a story when he first started working on CS, and used his experience working on the game to learn how to do so.
From what we can gather about the beta, The story was kind of basic compared to the final game.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:25 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
The story of balamory is probably my favourite story.