What pre-existing classic game art style would you actually PAY to see Cave Story remade in?

Which of these six art styles would be the best for this game?

• Braid

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Rayman Origins

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Mega Man X

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Okami

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Donkey Kong Country

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zelda: The Wind Waker

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Other (comment your real choice below if you pick this one)

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
Oct 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Alright, so, after the utter horseshit that was Cave Story 3D's graphics (I know that's what Pixel originally intended the game to look like, but seriously, come on), I'd say it's about time that a proper remake/redesign of the original classic was made. What legendary video game art style would you spend hard-earned money from your wallet just to see Cave Story recreated in?

Anyway, there are plenty of great options to choose from here as far as graphics go, with the added possibility that the new art style could also influence the soundtrack to sound more like the game that said new art style originated from. Which one is your favorite? You can vote based on whatever reasons you decide on.

Hell, even if you just vote based on which one makes Toroko look the cutest, that's still perfectly fine in my book. Personally, I think all of these choices sound gorgeous. Leave your thoughts below!

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:04 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Retro games are appealing. CS freeware looked good.
Also, you're being kind of a dick about CS3D. If you think the style is that bad, I'd like to see you create something better than a team who spent a lot of effort making something that people would enjoy. I'm not saying you have to like the style, but you don't have to act like they should feel bad about creating the game.
Unimportant note but something I noticed as a response to this, honestly the graphics of CS3D don't actually look that bad now that I take a look at them - in fact I kind of like the style. I feel bad in retrospect about thinking poorly about it without looking more into the game.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM
Retro games are appealing. CS freeware looked good.
Also, you're being kind of a dick about CS3D. If you think the style is that bad, I'd like to see you create something better than a team who spent a lot of effort making something that people would enjoy. I'm not saying you have to like the style, but you don't have to act like they should feel bad about creating the game.
Unimportant note but something I noticed as a response to this, honestly the graphics of CS3D don't actually look that bad now that I take a look at them - in fact I kind of like the style. I feel bad in retrospect about thinking poorly about it without looking more into the game.

Well, like I said...with a visual remake, the game could also be redesigned a little bit as well, which is something that CS3D also unfortunately failed miserably at when you look at it from an overall standpoint. Shame, really.

However, I do like the backgrounds on CS3D. It's just sad that that's really one of the only half-decent things about the game's graphics. Not a bad game, though, just severely overhyped and overpriced (and also disappointingly lacking in bonus content), much like Destiny. I don't know if it was an anniversary thing or what, but the development team should have put a hell of a lot more work into it for sure. If they had, then CS3D probably would have been even better than its E-Shop and Steam counterparts, and almost easily worth its original retail price of 40 dollars.

But, no. Unfortunately, it seems like Nicalis just had to rush it out for a quick cash grab...which is why we need to finally have an ultimate definitive edition of this game once and for all. And although they certainly are some of the main reasons why the E-Shop and Steam versions of CS are the best, the Wind Fortress and Nemesis Challenge do not count as being part of the main game itself.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2015 at 6:25 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Redecoing the game would not sell and would likely make Cave Story a meme due to the amount of ports it has.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:43 PM
War criminal
If Cave Story goes in DKC style, would this mean Qoute would shower Chaco with coconut creme pies?

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:05 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think that it would not sell... But instead launching it to android and ios platforms... That would be awesome*-* it would be on best sellers for sure

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I think that it would not sell... But instead launching it to android and ios platforms... That would be awesome*-* it would be on best sellers for sure
download ppsspp for android and use the psp port

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:05 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I can see Wind Waker-ish graphic for CS works, but I think the real problem is the 2D to 3D movement transition, simply having 3D models move like 2D sprites can be awkward like CS3D.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:05 PM
I can see Wind Waker-ish graphic for CS works, but I think the real problem is the 2D to 3D movement transition, simply having 3D models move like 2D sprites can be awkward like CS3D.

It would be more hand-drawn, sort of like how CS3D should have looked in the first place.

Redecoing the game would not sell and would likely make Cave Story a meme due to the amount of ports it has.

The game already is a meme due to the number of ports it has.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:24 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Yeah, CS3D looks a lot nicer than I originally gave it credit for - the environments are really pretty and the character models seemed a lot worse in my memory. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that I only really looked at it on my tiny old Android screen, now that I think about it! ^_^;

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:08 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Regarding CS3D: Zelda fans didn't like the graphics and art style of the Wind Waker installation too at first, because it looked very different from what they were accustomed to and loved about the franchise with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Only years later when people realized that WW wants to be its own game and not just a direct continuation of the original they started to like WW too. CS3D deserves to be there - just as it is. :D

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM
Regarding CS3D: Zelda fans didn't like the graphics and art style of the Wind Waker installation too at first, because it looked very different from what they were accustomed to and loved about the franchise with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Only years later when people realized that WW wants to be its own game and not just a direct continuation of the original they started to like WW too. CS3D deserves to be there - just as it is. :D

Wind Waker looked at least a thousand times better than CS3D though. That needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:03 PM
War criminal
Wind Waker looked at least a thousand times better than CS3D though. That needs to be taken into consideration as well.
Maybe you should write that to Nicalis, then. They would be "glad" to look at your criticism.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:34 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Wind Waker indeed looks nice, but people back then just thought that it was too childish and unrealistic, therefore simply called it ugly. It was not what they expected and sadly CS3D isn't what a lot of original CS players expected, too. Maybe because the simple and minimalistic 2D design made them imagine their own art style and feel in their heads so CS3D never had the chance to statisfy these players with something that isn't entirely different from what they thought Cave Story would look like. I'm not saying that everyone who thinks the game is ugly is so, but I haven't heard any complaining about the graphics from critics or first time CS players. :p

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well the backgrounds of CS3D look amazing, as was any 2D art such as the hud, facepics, items, etc. The music was also quite lovely. The problem was that they didn't afford the same level of dedication to the character/monster/boss models and some aspects of the game felt rushed.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:25 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
If CS would get yet another remake... My first thought was of Odin Sphere for its art. But, I don't think that's quite the right look, though I like the hand drawn direction...

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:50 PM
Well the backgrounds of CS3D look amazing, as was any 2D art such as the hud, facepics, items, etc. The music was also quite lovely. The problem was that they didn't afford the same level of dedication to the character/monster/boss models and some aspects of the game felt rushed.
Maybe the 3D model designers were drunk and thought they're going to design models for a PS1 game..? x)