What is the Core?

May 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I think the Core is a being that slept deep within the Earth but was discovered by humans. I saw them as a threat and used it's immense powers to create the island to protect itself.

Feel free to add your own theories. ^_^

May 11, 2013 at 6:20 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The Core is a very mysterious thing in Cave Story.

Many here speculate that The Core serves to counteract Ballos' presence in order to keep the island afloat. This consensus is best described in the words of Misery in Carrotlord's mod, A Lost Land:

Misery said:
Ballos could not kill himself, and he hated this fact. He subconsciously wanted the island to fall, so that the collapse would crush his body. Even that wouldn't kill him, though he kept trying. We needed the Core to counteract the presence of Ballos. But without him, the island is able to float naturally.
But then making this assumption begs the question: Did Jenka create the Core when she confined Ballos to the island? Or was the Core already in existence and she was somehow able to apply its power to her own use?

How is the Core connected to the Red flowers? According to Kazuma, it's because of the Core that red flowers make Mimigas go rabbid. And when the Core was destroyed, Sue who was infected by the red crystal was restored to her natural self. So many unanswered mysteries in this game...

So, after thinking this over, I've come to two possible conclusions:

1) The Core is a giant brussel sprout
2) The Core is a giant cabbage

May 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well I consider the red flowers to be a side-effect of this process, where some of Ballos' power bleeds out and the flowers are formed. The source of their power must be Ballos as there is little other explanation for their link to the crown. When the core is destroyed and the bleeding power effect stops then the red flower altered entities lose their link to Ballos' raw unchanneled power and insanity and revert back to their original state.

Thus it can be assumed that the Core is giant pinecone.

May 11, 2013 at 7:13 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
He is a girl with round body and face problems. End of story!

May 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM
The Core is a user whose engine was actually pretty significant to the original Cave Story... oh! That Core who keeps the island from falling into Clock Town... or is that the moon? Eugh, that moon's face is a recap of my childhood. The Core who kept the island from falling... it's Almond001.pbm and Almond002.pbm, duh?

May 12, 2013 at 3:01 AM
LIES!! I am just kidding.. :p

May 12, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I agree with A Lost Land here. The Island naturally floated well before the events of Cave Story, whether by magic or magnetic forces. When Jenka confined Ballos to The Island, he obviously tried to crash the island into the ground to kill himself. Obviously.

That's all well and good, except for the dozens of innocent rabbit people that would die too.(Why did Jenka choose that island anyway?) Therefore, Jenka created the Core to keep the island in the air.

The Core isn't related to the Red Flowers at all, that was Ballos. The real reason Sue was turned back when the Core was destroyed was because Sue was transformed by the Red Crystal. The Red Crystal was linked to the Doctor, and guess who was possessing the Core?

Therefore, the theory that the Core is a giant peanut is proven.

May 12, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I can't believe no one else saw this. I cross referenced Hayden's theories with our knowledge of the core and it's capabilities, and I believe I can quite safely say that the Core is in fact.....

A human ovary.
Observe the shape, rounded as if to suggest the shape of the female egg. Siblings/other ovaries surround it, and you use your Spur(m) to defeat(fertilize) the egg.

May 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Not sure what to say about that last one, but it actually does make some kind of sense, in a sexual kind of way... :droll:

I have come to realize that I am the master of creating a new page. I do it all the damn time :muscledoc:

May 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
bobbyis said:
I can't believe no one else saw this. I cross referenced Hayden's theories with our knowledge of the core and it's capabilities, and I believe I can quite safely say that the Core is in fact.....

A human ovary.
Observe the shape, rounded as if to suggest the shape of the female egg. Siblings/other ovaries surround it, and you use your Spur(m) to defeat(fertilize) the egg.
But

But

You don't have the spur when you fight the core

Your logic scares/confuses me

May 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I always assumed that since it solved a bunch of problems when you killed it and it also led to the other endi b g with ballos that it was a plot device.

May 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
Actually, a better question: "Is the core edible and, if so, what does it taste like? Does it taste like two month old cabbage or a very large walnut?"

May 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Actually, I kinda figured the core was made of rock...that's not very delicious at all :droll:

But if it WAS edible, I think it would taste kind of like watercress...

May 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Polaris said:
Actually, I kinda figured the core was made of rock...that's not very delicious at all :droll:

But if it WAS edible, I think it would taste kind of like watercress...
If it was a rock, then it would be a very mossy/hairy rock. To me it looked like a giant alien being at first, but I couldn't piece that together properly because I was too busy having an eargasm. :greydroll:

May 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
bobbyis said:

A human ovary.
p168485-0-imdeadplz.gif
you, sir, just killed me O_O

May 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The core is
the core :momo:

May 19, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
OBJECTION!!!

The core is actually EVERYTHING BUT The core.

All imagined things in all imagined places at all imagined times with all imagined conditions.
With the exception of being the core in a dark locked out room appropriately named "almond".

Who would actually think that the core could have any chance of being the core? What insanity...

May 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
CookedChef said:
If it was a rock, then it would be a very mossy/hairy rock.
Or it could be algae. The cavern is constantly flooded with water.

Note how it turns a different colour after being out of the water for so long.