Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DSi/EShop

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Cave Story 3d

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Aug 13, 2014 at 3:51 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
It's a hard choice between CS+ and Freeware. Freeware due to it being a classic, and having a different translation patch, but CS+ because of extra content.
Wii (in my opinion) I found to be pretty bad. I could not get used to the controls, and it isn't much improved upon the Freeware version. (That, and when playing on my TV, it gave me a head-ache due to the way the game scrolled)
I can't say anything about E-shop, as I don't have that version of the game.
3DS was interesting, as it added a lot of stuff, but it has it's small issues that place it under CS+ and Freeware. Glitches aside, it had L shift the weapons right and R shift the weapons left. I also had some controller issues with this version, but it wasn't as bad as the Wii Version.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:35 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I think the original controls the best and it just feels right. The new versions seem a little unprofessional.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:28 PM
"Forever coffee..."
Freeware was the best. It was classic, had sentimental/nostalgic value (to me) for being the original, had the best visuals and music. And it didn't have too many extra modes. I don't like extra modes because it made Cave Story feel too much like a game, whereas the original had no such modes and it didn't feel like just a game, it felt like an experience, an adventure, a montage of emotions, a legacy. I'm really emotional about Cave Story for doing so, so much for me. I would really love to thank Pixel with a long, heartfelt letter for everything.
Oops, sorry, that got a bit off-topic...
I agree. Cave Story isn't just a game, it's certainly something.
Anywho, my vote goes to the freeware version because it's free and it's the original content. I have played the dsiware version and although the controls are nice, you just can't beat free. Not to mention modding is so much easier for freeware. I guess my runner-up would be CS+ because the 3D soundtrack is bombtastic and the choices CS + gives you are awesome.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:23 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'd probably me more inclined to pick the freeware version if it didn't actually run SLOWER than the steam release on my laptop these days, due to it using outdated graphics libraries. Granted, if I turn off "Power Saver" mode then it runs fine, but then the computer gets hot and I don't think Cave Story is a game that should be using that much juice, so Cave Story+ it is.