What is it with this game and Majora's Mask?

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:41 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Weirdly enough, this game has a LOT in common with Zelda: Majora's Mask, and it would seem that at least a few of the similarities are even blatant homages to said game. For instance:

That giant rock piece of shit that Ballos transforms into during the final boss battle is basically a smaller, slightly less scary-looking version of Majora's Moon. Not to even mention that it's just a completely random and disturbing transformation that makes very little sense if any, which is something that Majora was certainly rather fond of.

The game literally has a straight-up goddamned Mimiga Mask that you can actually legitimately wear by equpping it in your inventory, and the soundtrack even has an entire song fully dedicated to the frickin' moon. Song Of Moons, anyone?

The undertones of Cave Story's plot are almost as dark, ominous and creepy as those of Majora's Mask, and the main villain in both games is a formerly innocent young man who is possessed by a completely insane and megalomaniacal spiritual headwear object and becomes destroyer of worlds.

About halfway through the game, you end up getting a ridiculously overpowered sword with ludicrously intense spiritual power. It may not be Fierce Deity level shit, but it's still pretty damned broken nonetheless.

The main town hub world just progressively gets worse and worse as time goes on, much like Clock Town. Also, the game is certainly home to numerous notably weird and eccentric characters.

The Life Pot is essentially a red potion, and both games contain mysteriously unopened treasure chests that commonly appear in rather odd and unexpected places.

The game has exactly four main areas that you go to before heading off to the Plantation, and there are also heart containers everywhere, with the minimum heart capacity being 3.

One of the game's main goals is to stop Mimiga Island from descending straight down and potentially causing mass genocide by crashing into Earth. Do I even need to explain this?

Last but not least, the water level fucking SUCKS and is a giant repetitive maze, and the last level is a giant enormous dungeon where the true villain lurks, much like the Moon in Majora's Mask.

So tell me, if Pixel literally flat-out released The Legend Of Quote: Mimiga's Mask and it turned out to have the sheer awesomeness of both Cave Story and Majora's Mask combined, how much would you be willing to pay in order to play it?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2015 at 7:59 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oh no you fucking didn't.

So tell me, if Pixel literally flat-out released The Legend Of Quote: Mimiga's Mask and it turned out to have the sheer awesomeness of both Cave Story and Majora's Mask combined, how much would you be willing to pay in order to play it?
I would if I had the chance, since Nintendo and pretty much NICALiS will pretty much sue Pixel's ass of for copyright infringement.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:20 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What is it with this guy and constantly making retarded threads?

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
This seems like clutching at straws if anything.

and the main villain in both games is a formerly innocent young man who is possessed by a completely insane and megalomaniacal spiritual headwear object and becomes destroyer of worlds.
The Doctor wasn't at all innocent before wearing the crown.
Prof. Booster was on our helicopter, and so was my mother, my brother, and various assistants…
The Doctor as well.
He was there to serve our medical needs, and did so…
At least, until he found the Demon Crown…
That crown, once the property of the master of this island, grants monstrous magical powers upon its wearer...
The Doctor knew this even before coming to the island, which is why he wormed his way into our group in the first place.
Miakid also in theory led the robot force that attacked the island, in that respect he also was evil before taking the crown, for that would imply that he was involved in genocide.
Back then, a huge number of robots were sent to this island from countries on the Earth's surface.
Their target was the awesome power kept within this island...
The =Demon Crown=.
But you and I, we were different.
The two of us were sent in order to destroy that power.
When we got here, the island was in a shambles.
The robots had torn it all to pieces...
And countless Mimigas had been slaughtered...
It was...terrible...
Finally, one man got the =Demon Crown= in his possession.
The robots' work was done, and the island fell silent.
There is nothing to suggest that the crown made either of these men more morally corrupt than they were beforehand. They made their own choices.

The game literally has a straight-up goddamned Mimiga Mask that you can actually legitimately wear by equpping it in your inventory, and the soundtrack even has an entire song fully dedicated to the frickin' moon. Song Of Moons, anyone?
That thing in the sky looks like a moon too. Copyright infringement anyone?

The Life Pot is essentially a red potion, and both games contain mysteriously unopened treasure chests that commonly appear in rather odd and unexpected places.
This isn't exactly an uncommon thing to see in a videogame.

The game has exactly four main areas that you go to before heading off to the Plantation, and there are also heart containers everywhere, with the minimum heart capacity being 3.
A single heart container represents 4HP in Zelda games. Show me a Zelda title that starts with 3/4 of a heart.

One of the game's main goals is to stop Mimiga Island from descending straight down and potentially causing mass genocide by crashing into Earth. Do I even need to explain this?
Actually, no. The goal is to stop the Doctor. The island falls as a result. Not to mention that the island falls in a forest, so no mass genocide.

Last but not least, the water level fucking SUCKS and is a giant repetitive maze
That is only your opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2015 at 4:19 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Last but not least, the water level fucking SUCKS and is a giant repetitive maze,
I really liked the living waterway. Also, it's pretty linear so I don't see how it's a giant repetitive maze.

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:15 PM
Oh no you fucking didn't.

I would if I had the chance, since Nintendo and pretty much NICALiS will pretty much sue Pixel's ass of for copyright infringement.

He could probably collaborate with Nintendo, since Cave Story already pretty much basically is a Nintendo game by any other name to begin with. That would be awesome.

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:52 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
He could probably collaborate with Nintendo, since Cave Story already pretty much basically is a Nintendo game by any other name to begin with. That would be awesome.
It's anything except a Nintendo game.

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:02 PM
It's anything except a Nintendo game.

Note that I said "a Nintendo game by any other name."

In other words, the game looks like Nintendo, feels like Nintendo, sounds like Nintendo and in some cases even smells like Nintendo, yet somehow didn't have Nintendo involved in its making.

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:09 PM
War criminal
Note that I said "a Nintendo game by any other name."

In other words, the game looks like Nintendo, feels like Nintendo, sounds like Nintendo and in some cases even smells like Nintendo, yet somehow didn't have Nintendo involved in its making.
Honestly, it does feel like a Nintendo game, but it has that Sega Genesis vibe in it, too.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:27 AM
Honestly, it does feel like a Nintendo game, but it has that Sega Genesis vibe in it, too.

Yes, it certainly does feel like a Nintendo game, except without all of the nonstop cutesy-wutesy Mimiga merchandise milking that Nintendo would have done. (I really am praying to God for Mimiga plushies to exist, though :()

If by Sega Genesis vibe you mean that the music kind of sounds that way, than yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from.

I would love to see a Sega Genesis port of the game myself, but it's been rumored that 16-bit consoles wouldn't actually be able to handle the sheer amount of complicatedly programmed shit that happens on screen on a fairly regular basis in the game. That might sound ridiculous, but seriously, just take a good look at the Sacred Grounds in action and you'll immediately see what I'm talking about.

Still, Genesis does what Nintendon't XD

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:25 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I would love to see a Sega Genesis port of the game myself, but it's been rumored that 16-bit consoles wouldn't actually be able to handle the sheer amount of complicatedly programmed shit that happens on screen on a fairly regular basis in the game. That might sound ridiculous, but seriously, just take a good look at the Sacred Grounds in action and you'll immediately see what I'm talking about.
snes and genesis games have a limited memory supply and CS exceeds it. the music while having the classic feel, sets it self way apart from both consoles because its a custom format made by the same genius

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:32 AM
snes and genesis games have a limited memory supply and CS exceeds it. the music while having the classic feel, sets it self way apart from both consoles because its a custom format made by the same genius

Still, the fact that Cave Story is actually bigger than Super Metroid...really confuses me. I really wish Super Metroid was bigger. Hell, for that matter, I wish Cave Story was bigger, so that a slightly less massive portion of the game would be comprised of those damned fetch quests :(

Also...doesn't even the real game lag a bit on Sacred Grounds B2? Either way, I fucking hate Sacred Grounds B2. It is the absolute bane of my existence :balrog:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2015 at 8:19 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Still, the fact that Cave Story is actually bigger than Super Metroid...really confuses me. I really wish Super Metroid was bigger. Hell, for that matter, I wish Cave Story was bigger, so that a slightly less massive portion of the game would be comprised of those damned fetch quests :(

Also...doesn't even the real game lag a bit on Sacred Grounds B2? Either way, I fucking hate Sacred Grounds B2. It is the absolute bane of my existence :balrog:
The game has never lagged for me anywhere in the game even on the crappiest of dells. Sm had much more to explore than cs. Cs can have like 100 npcs on screen and still work perfectly

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:07 AM
Deliverer of Sweets

CS will maybe work fine on even the crappiest system, the only way it would lag if you have like a hundred laggy games open(and also lagging explorer by searching for "." in C:/), or by playing it on normal full screen setting on Windows 10 on some systems.
AKA: Cave story almost never lags unless you have incredibly bad luck.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oh, and I think Pixel's inspirations were Metroid and Blaster Master, but don't quote me on that.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Woah, Cave Story is larger than Super Metroid? =o
That's kinda hard to assimilate, seeing how much exploration can be done on SM, all the spritework and whatnot. Is it CS' bitmap images that cause the contrastively large filesize?

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Compressing the data folder brings down the total to ~1.6 Mb, which is a good...wait a sec, who said Cave Story was larger than Super Metroid? SM is 3 Mb! (Even vs uncompressed CS at 2.7 Mb)

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:47 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Compressing the data folder brings down the total to ~1.6 Mb, which is a good...wait a sec, who said Cave Story was larger than Super Metroid? SM is 3 Mb! (Even vs uncompressed CS at 2.7 Mb)
Maybe he meant that Cave Story takes longer to speedrun than Super Metroid?