What is inside of the island's mountain?

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:04 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This thought occurred to me. Is that were the labyrinth is? I just want to know, so I can use it better in my mod.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:23 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
The labrynth is under the mountain

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:24 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hm, I always thought that was the "castle" where the Balcony takes place, showing how much larger it is.

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:06 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
no the bondage chamber is inside the island's mountain
duh
the labyrinth is just higher in the sky in another island

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Ice cream

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
The fight with the doctor occurs somewhere near the peak, seeing as at the balcony you could fly up to the top (remember that part?). You ascend after the fight with misery to fight with the doctor. The fight with misery is somewhere near the peek too. Also, of the balcony is near the peak, that would actually make the fight in hell at the bottom of the mountain or somewhere not too far into the island, as you do not go down too far in the sacred grounds.

My autocorrect is horrible!

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM
beep boop
That is a really good theory. I might base this in the mod. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
funwillfunwill said:
The fight with the doctor occurs somewhere near the peak, seeing as at the balcony you could fly up to the top (remember that part?).
Still seems like a short ascent compared to what you see on the island shot. Regardless the balcony seems far too short to make it to the centre of the island.

I am going to suggest that it is just a normal mountain and that we have never been inside it for the entire game.

funwillfunwill said:
My autocorrect is horrible!
All autocorrect functionality is horrible because it gives you a "close enough is good enough" mentality regarding spelling. You don't even have to think about how it should be spelt, just type the wrong spelling in and it automatically makes it right for you. If you rely on it from an early age then expect your spelling to be terrible forever. Highlighting misspelt words is the better alternative because it encourages thought about how the word should be spelt and grants greater control to the user if the word isn't recognised by some inbuilt dictionary.

Autocorrect in any form of software should be banned outright.[/RANT]

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I've always thought the Labyrinth was somewhere near the center of the island and to the left, considering that you move right through most of it, which brings you to the Core, which I would assume would be near the center of the Island.

Then again, it also makes sense that the Seal Chamber would be at the center, so perhaps the two are actually right next to each other? It would make sense too, since the Core was built with the sole purpose of countering Ballos' dark magic.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM
beep boop
It doesn't counter it, or not really well. It keeps the red flowers alive, so I always thought it funneled his magic into the flowers.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM
I remember reading somewhere (pretty sure in the Hell narration) that the Core was in fact built for to keep the island afloat where it would otherwise plummet. I don't recall reading the bit about its connection with the flowers, though...

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Based Member
ThatPortalGuy said:
I remember reading somewhere (pretty sure in the Hell narration) that the Core was in fact built for to keep the island afloat where it would otherwise plummet. I don't recall reading the bit about its connection with the flowers, though...
If you tell Kazuma in Egg No. 00 that you don't want to run away, then he mentions that the Core is connected to the red flowers.
Kazuma in the AGTP translation said:
You know, there's one other way one might return the Mimigas to their natural state. You could destroy the island's core. If you did that, however, the island would most likely crumble.
Kazuma in the NICALiS translation said:
Truth be told... There is one way you can change the Mimiga back into their original state. Destroy the island's core. But the island may collapse if you do destroy the core.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:42 PM
In that case, doesn't it kill the flowers, not keep them alive? I mean, chances are the flowers could sustain themselves pretty well. (that is, as long as Ballos' magic wasn't screwed with)

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:16 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
A bit late responding to this, but it's entirely possible the mountain isn't used in CS at all, unless one of the areas with no relative location (e.g. Grasstown or the Sand Zone) fits in there somewhere. I'm sure it's not where the final battle takes place:
Myself from eight years ago said:
As far as I can tell the left edge is where the Balcony is set and the tower is the Throne Room complex.
diph.php

Actually the labyrinth could extend into the mountain somewhat; it would depend on where the Core is situated. A large portion of it is probably still unused though. We may let our imaginations run wild :orangebell:

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:42 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I feel like the plantation/Hell/Final Cave are in the mountain. The outer wall is probably on the side of the mountain, and the balcony would be at the top, and judging by the location of the statue room, Hell would probably be next to/Above the plantation.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Just because we only experience Cave Story's world in 2D movement does not mean that the island exists only within 2D space. Has it not occurred to anyone that the balcony could be in front of, or behind the mountain? Or maybe flipped entirely in comparison to the island image. Perception isn't everything. Hell, even the notion that the Balcony section points to the centre of the island is flawed. Apply this logic to every location in the game and you will understand that there are just too many variables in play to even approach a half viable theory on this subject.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:11 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
The Balcony goes up into the clouds, remember? It doesn't even BEGIN to level out into a peak. The King's Table is GIGANTIC.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
I was just playing Jenka's Nightmare in realized something.

The top of the mountain is where the Balcony is, not that plateau at its base.

Look very closely at the top of the mountain.

Notice any kind of flat surface protruding from the left side?
w8w474.jpg

It's kind of hard to see but there's this tiny extrusion that could be the Balcony.

Therefore, the Plantation, Last Cave, and King's Table are all within the Mountain.